Best shampoo or remedy for combination type hair?

Combination hair type: Where the roots tend to get oily but the ends are dry especially if the hair are long.
I really haven't been able to find a good shampoo that cleans my hair without stripping them of all the moisture. If I put too much moisturizer then my hair get limp and lifeless. Any suggestions would be helpful!

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Go see a dermatologist and a nutritionist lol...
    In all likelihood you might also need to change your diet.
    Its due to hormonal changes and other women issues !!
    This is common among women in our households...

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm looking for something myself lol, yet to find one. But I do have a few tips. What you should do is, when you clean your hair with shampoo only do that with the ROOTS of your hair, on your scalp. Then rinse it off. Then get the moisturizer and apply that from the mid section of your hair to the ends. Dont apply it to your scalp or it will become greasy faster when it dries. As for shampoo, DONT apply it on your ends coz they are the "old" parts of your hair, and shampoo lets your hair dry coz it strips the natural oils when it cleans.
    Also, DONT dry your hair with a towel, that breaks your hair. Instead, get a cotton tshirt and dry your hair with it. Its waaaaay better, makes your hair way softer. I've been trying it since nearly a year now. (I dont know how the method is called but u can just google "the tshirt hair drying method" xD ).
    And one last thing, if you want a shampoo that doesn't make your hair dry like crazy, make sure its sulfate-free in the ingredients.

I hope this helped :)

2|0
    0|0
    • Ooooh and another tip :
      If you want to measure the exact amount of shampoo/moisturizer you need then put your hair on one side, take your thumb and any other finger, put all your hair in between and then lock your thumb and the other finger together, basically, your fingers are wrapped around your hair, dont close your fingers too much or open them too wide, just as much as the hair is. And then, while having the tip of your fingers still touching , as they form a circle around your hair, trace it down your hair and see how big is the circle, THATS gonna be the amount of shampoo or moisturizer you need (let me find you a video to show you how its done, I don't know if I explained myself well enough xD )

• Show All
    • The second tip is more interesting one! Noting it down 😎☺ Thanks!

• Glad you girls liked it! :D

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• wikiHow is really helpful.
    go check for some solutions there. 👍

1|0
    0|0
  • Panthelene... is ultimately the best shampooing agent , usually found in Pantene shampoo.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• don't put shampoo on the ends

don't put conditioner on the roots

2|0
    0|0
  • It's how you wash your hair - I have the same type so shampoo only my roots to my ears twice, then condition only my ends. My hair is just past my bra strap so I condition from my chin down.
    I wash every 2-3 days and it works great for me, can't hurt to try

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanl you. Can you share which shampoo and conditioner you use?

• In all honesty whatever is on special lol. I generally stick with Pantene, garnier fructis, sunsilk or dove and where possible a combination (oily roots dry ends) type

• i use matrix biolage hydra source. and a dry shampoo on day and 3. beyond the zone. Sephora has a really good one that is a powder, but its very hard to use lol. i onlyuse oil treatment on the ends of my hair up to about 3/4 of the way. not the roots. i use ASP kitoko oil

1|0
    0|0
  • tie your up into a loose ponytail then wash your scalp and one quarter of your hair only, then release the ponytail and rinse your entire hair with only water.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's best to get a good conditioner and just work that into your ends once a week. How often do you wash your hair?

1|0
    1|0
    • Almost twice a week.

• Show All
    • Any suggestions about good conditioners?

• I know Dove do some good ones. And I'd use dry shampoo on your roots the rest of the week when you need it between washing. I recommend Bastise for that.

• Use a hair oil on the ends (Moroccan Oil is good, and so are the Saryna Key products). Only condition ends, that way roots won't get oily and weighed down! :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Mine is combination hair too!

Rule of thumb is that you choose shampoo for roots and conditioner for midsection to tips. Which means you have to use either normal or oily hair shampoo for roots. Make sure you strictly apply shampoo to scalp and roots.

Choose moisturizing conditioner and apply strictly from midsection to tips.

I don't know if you have it there but I use tresemmè ionic strength shampoo and it works well for me. And my conditioner keeps changing..

Tea tree oil shampoos also worked well for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Cantu

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes