How can I avoid looking frumpy?

I love my style foundation, but have trouble executing it without looking frumpy at times.

I don't really know how to label my style, but in high school I kept shoulder length messy hair, a fresh face (full natural brows and a blush lip stain), and usually wore mom jeans, a cropped tank top, an oversized flannel and beat up Converse. If I wanted to dress up, I would wear a Bohemian looking dress and the same shoes.

I still like that look, but I recently cut my hair super short, which changed the perspective of it. My oversized flannel, 90's Levi's and tank top looks very plain now, to the point where it just looks like I'm hiding myself. I also work out and love being healthy, and I do want to show off my hard work more--I want to keep my overall style, but modify it a bit to play up my assets and compliment me more. One idea for the summer was to wear my oversized overalls with a sports bra and that looked cool, but I can't wear that every day--plus, it gets really hard not to look boring/plain in the winter (I'm currently thinking really cropped sweatshirts with skinny jeans?)

but I also noticed that I have a lot of clothes that don't flatter me, it looks like I'm hiding myself. But at the same time, I'm not into a completely skin tight outfit with lots of skin and lots of makeup. I need to find that balance!

any tips?

23

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe try 1/2 tucking , or even full tucking the tanks but bloused out loose & showing under the flannel. Or put a belt around the flannel but loose & hanging down. Something where your clothes are comfortable & o over tight like you like, but where you have a waistline & silhouette/shape