Should people with low self esteem alter their appearance to feel better or learn to love and accept themselves as they are naturally?

Changing my hair and putting on makeup makes me feel good, but I realized I don't feel good without that stuff. So, does it matter? Should I try to embrace my natural self or should I just keep adding whatever physical enhancements make me feel beautiful?

1315

Most Helpful Guy

• This is something I have been wondering, and I need help with something relating to this.
    my girlfriend has had low self esteem for many years before I met her. How she sees herself (ugly) I don't see at all and think she is beautiful.

She dresses very plain in the same type of clothing, no makeup, doesn't care too much how she looks because she feels she has nothing to show off.

I want to tell her to try some new clothing, because she will look even cuter in some new styles, it's that she lacks confidence in trying on new stuff, she isn't used to being called anything positive.

How can I convince her to try some new things to show her that she is still beautiful? Should I buy her new clothing and surprise her, or will she see that as "trying to change her"?

• I tell her she is beautiful constantly, and she still thinks she is ugly, I'm the only one in her life that tells her she is pretty.

• I think you should only buy her different clothes if you get the feeling she deep down WANTS that but simply doesn't feel confident. That would be sweet and encouraging. I'm simply warning you that some girls just don't like that kind of stuff and it could be taken the wrong way

• Now I'm worried. Seeing her in certain kinds of clothing sometimes is a huge turn on for me as well as knowing she will look great in them. If she tells me she isn't going to ever wear that, I don't know if the relationship will last, the spark will fade quickly. It's kind of something important to me, and I did mention to her about liking it ahead of time for this reason, but nothing was brought up since. She might not be ok with this, and now I am worried.

Most Helpful Girl

• If altering your appearance makes you feel better, go for it. What matters is that YOU go through life happy. But if the insecurity stems from the inside and not from a particular physical feature you're dissatisfied with, you can alter and alter but you'll never become secure.