Adult acne? 😔 anyone have advice?

I've had acne since I was 13. The dermatologist insisted that it was just because of puberty. Now I'm 22 and still have acne. I've tried nearly every class of prescription medication for it, a ton of over the counter stuff, birth control, etc and I still have acne. I feel so gross because of it. People always say "just wash your face and drink lots of water". Little do they know how much I've tried to fix it. Anyone have any tips or advice on how to not feel horrible about myself?

57

Most Helpful Guy

• There are lots of things you should know.. Treatment of acne needs a long term continuous treatment.. Trying everything isn't what matter but trying RIGHT... I don't know your condition but i guess you can try different lines : either to take a sample of the acne and do culture and sensitivity test.. then take the suitable local and systemic antibiotic regularly for sometime OR to take retinoids with absolute and complete contraception..
    You may also need do androgen profile and tests of PCO..

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thanks for this. I did try retinoids but it dried my skin out so bad it was literally peeling/bleeding. It was awful. But I'll look into your suggestions!

• Local/topically. I am not a good candidate for Isotretinoin unfortunately. I have other health issues that my Dr said would make it a bad fit.

• Topical? then you used it wrong ! The systemic one is the most efficient.. What are the other health problems you have?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in the same boat as you and I finally found the solution recently. The problem is internal not external so the product doesn't matter. My biggest tip is to eliminate dairy. Humans aren't meant to consume dairy into their adult lives because most of us lack the enzyme to break it down which results in inflammation (read: acne). I also took a food intolerance test and cut out the foods that the test said I was intolerant to and of course ate healthy. My stubborn acne that hasn't gone away since I was 12 no matter what I did cleared up SO FAST.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Also I don't recommend accutane because 1) it dries out your skin like crazy and 2) my psychiatrist mom has patients that due to taking accutane now come to her for depression and suicidal thoughts. But at least they have clear skin at the appointments right :P