Adult acne? 😔 anyone have advice?

I've had acne since I was 13. The dermatologist insisted that it was just because of puberty. Now I'm 22 and still have acne. I've tried nearly every class of prescription medication for it, a ton of over the counter stuff, birth control, etc and I still have acne. I feel so gross because of it. People always say "just wash your face and drink lots of water". Little do they know how much I've tried to fix it. Anyone have any tips or advice on how to not feel horrible about myself?

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• There are lots of things you should know.. Treatment of acne needs a long term continuous treatment.. Trying everything isn't what matter but trying RIGHT... I don't know your condition but i guess you can try different lines : either to take a sample of the acne and do culture and sensitivity test.. then take the suitable local and systemic antibiotic regularly for sometime OR to take retinoids with absolute and complete contraception..
    You may also need do androgen profile and tests of PCO..

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thanks for this. I did try retinoids but it dried my skin out so bad it was literally peeling/bleeding. It was awful. But I'll look into your suggestions!

• Show All
    • Local/topically. I am not a good candidate for Isotretinoin unfortunately. I have other health issues that my Dr said would make it a bad fit.

• Topical? then you used it wrong ! The systemic one is the most efficient.. What are the other health problems you have?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in the same boat as you and I finally found the solution recently. The problem is internal not external so the product doesn't matter. My biggest tip is to eliminate dairy. Humans aren't meant to consume dairy into their adult lives because most of us lack the enzyme to break it down which results in inflammation (read: acne). I also took a food intolerance test and cut out the foods that the test said I was intolerant to and of course ate healthy. My stubborn acne that hasn't gone away since I was 12 no matter what I did cleared up SO FAST.

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Also I don't recommend accutane because 1) it dries out your skin like crazy and 2) my psychiatrist mom has patients that due to taking accutane now come to her for depression and suicidal thoughts. But at least they have clear skin at the appointments right :P

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• use Shea butter at night it helps apply every night after shower and every morning use baking soda add little water on hands with baking soda and scrub face with it, also twice per week use charcoal, honey and cucumbers blend together and paste over face as a mask, after 30mins rinse then wash face wit 100%pure milk

0|0
    0|0
    • don't use pills that's one form of acne especially birth control pills and or any sort off too much pills causes acne always keep herbal

• There's no such thing as a "cure" for adult acne because it is related to hormones and has little to do with what is going on in your skin. Don't believe the stupid acne medication commercials: acne is something most people have and it comes and goes regardless of what you do.
    The best you can do is wash your face daily.

0|0
    0|0
  • Here's what I do.

keep my pillow case clean
    use a sasiclyc acid wash in the shower
    benzoyl peroxide after the shower
    try to stay away from bread, sugar, carbs in general besides veggies (good for overall health anyway)
    more benzoyl peroxide before bed
    in general try not to touch my face with my fingers and think happy thoughts to keep stress low

good luck, I still get a bump or two but it's a lot better than it was

0|0
    0|0
  • @trisarahtops94
    Firstly take steam for 15-20 minutes as it will open your pours , after that wash your face and then apply pure Aloe Vera gel on your face... it will help you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Get used to it until you are 50ish

0|0
    0|0
  • Isotretinoin

0|0
    1|0
    • I can't take accutane for medical reasons 😔 I tried to get on it.

• Worth the risk in my opinion

• It's a life threatening risk. Definitely not worth it. That drug makes your life living hell for a lot of people.

What Girls Said 4

• Hun try these, don't give up!

-hot steam your pores
    -charcoal masks
    -mud masks
    -toners
    -facial scrubs like st eves
    -stridex sensitive pads
    -home microdermabrasion, you can buy a cheap machine online for like 40$+
    -alcohol clean your face once a day
    -non-greasy moisturizer

All these worked for me but in between years, pick and choose which one works best for you. My mom used to buy me homeopathic pills as well when I was a teen, kind of cleared my face a bit

1|0
    1|0
  • Go to an acne clinic, they can evaluate the causes of it, and provide products that really work based on whether it's hormonal, from foods, from androgen, etc. I know Face Reality, in San Leandro, California ships products out of state & I think they somehow help treat people that don't live nearby. I went to them I person after years of trying every cream, pill & remedy on the Internet.. And they were the only place that helped! I had hormonal cystic acne, everywhere. Their #1 ingredients are mandelic acid, and to use benzoyl peroxide, every single night.

0|0
    0|0
  • Have you seen a doctor about it?

0|0
    0|0
    • Yes. I've seen a dermatologist since I was 16 who said he's basically out of things to try. I did antibiotics, topical stuff, etc. Never any noticable results.

• Have you visited acne. org?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes