Hair dye mishap?

So I dyed my hair a medium/dark brown burgundy colour to get my hair all the same colour as there were many different tones in there, once I had done it, it turned out fine just what I expected, all my hair was finally one colour. Now it's been about a week and a half and just the bottom third parts of my hair have now gone completely lighter, I just don't get it. My hair now looks like I have monster roots showing. So basically the top third of my hair stayed the colour I dyed it and the bottom has completely changed colour. Why has that happened? It was a permanent dye I used.
As you can see in the picture it's all of a sudden turned a gingery brown colour Hair dye mishap?

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think it's noticeable unless you point it out. Plus, it's natural for your hair to get slightly lighter as it grows out further from your scalp. I've never dyed my hair, and my tips are lighter than my shafts and roots.

2|0
    0|0
    • I don't think it's exactly about getting lighter, might just be age. Like the older you get the darker your hair gets usually, so that's probably why. Or the bleaching from the sun if any.

Most Helpful Girl

• This used to happen to me too because my ends were lighter and a bit more damaged. What I do especially with newly dyed hair is get a sulphur free shampoo and conditioner and condition my ends only. That way colour doesn't strip too quickly. I would actually put a deep red over your hair again just focusing on the ends if you want to dye your hair again.

Make sure to fully saturate the ends and even rub it in a little then at the end put the dye all over your roots and let it sit.

Your hair doesn't look bad though!

Let us know how you go!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• It looks good but it could be that the shampoo your using may have caused it to fade some what.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh no!

0|0
    0|0
  • Hair grew up and new hair showing the original color, is that your original hair color?

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 21

• If you do more research, you will find out a fun fact. Our hair is actually "life-less". The only part of hair with "life" is the root.
    One thing you need to understand how permanent color works. The color+development contains chemicals that open up the cuticles of the hair, let the color get into the core and changes its color from the core, thats why its permanent unlike semi-permanent which does the coating job only.
    So, the end of our hair is literally "dead", meaning it doesn't have a healthy core there to absord color and the cuticles there couldnt close well to hold the color nice as well. In another word, your hair at the end is less pourous.
    Some people have damaged hair which would make it even worse. So I suggest before you do your color again, try to trouble shoot the root issue-make your hair more healthier. Try to switch to some better shampoo without SLS, use some serum after shampooing, avoid hot tools and hot water, avoid direct sunlight. As long as your hair being more healthier, the color should stay on your hair much better :) Good luck and feel better!

0|0
    0|0
  • Your ends are older and more damaged, so they will fade faster. Try doing some moisturizing treatments before and after your next dye job. Wash your hair with cold or cool water so that you don't open the cuticle too much during washing, and try not to wash your hair every day. You can also use a color depositing shampoo or conditioner to add extra color back into your hair every time you wash it.

1|0
    0|0
  • For what it's worth, I think it looks really pretty like that.

1|0
    0|0
  • What colours did you have on previously? Im a trained hairdresser and if you've had blonde on there, it's very hard to cover that up and it will naturally get lighter over time. I'd recommend if you want to get it evened out properly that you go to a salon as if it's that blonde underneath, you really need a red on there to re-pigment it.

0|0
    0|0
    • I used a lighter on my hair before I dyed it the last time? Is that what's caused it. Yeah you're right I should just go and get it sorted professionally

• Yea it's the lighter colour underneath that has made it fade. You could put a red on it yourself and a brown over the top. Putting brown over the top of blonde can make it go green or gain a green tinge but it's just because of how the colours mix together

• The hair closer to your scalp is going to be darker because our scalps generate heat. That's why you're supposed to apply dye to the scalp last. You do tips first. It also could be due to hair growth. Once your hair starts growing, it's going to be darker.

What hair dye did you use, what is the brand as well as the color?

0|0
    0|0
  • try buying some portecive coloring shampoo or even just some dye portecive to use when you wash your hair. also Wait a little longer to wash your hair after you dye it, it's always helped me keep the color I want longer :3

0|0
    0|0
  • Treat yourself to a salon appointment and let them fix it

0|0
    0|0
  • Have you bleached your hair in the past? It could just be the previous colors you have used that have lightened your hair. A filler helps a lot to get hair to be one color when it fades

0|0
    0|0
  • Doesn't look that bad? WhT about when it's down? Right now just looks like low-lights

0|0
    0|0
    • To be honest I never really noticed it until I put it up and the ends were right against the top parts.

• Did you have an ombré thing with lighter at the bottom before you dyed it one colour?

0|0
    0|0
  • It looks fine to me, if you're really bothered by it just wear your hair down.

0|0
    0|0
  • you will probably have to go to a salon to get your color right

0|0
    0|0
  • Did you apply it to your roots or ends first? If you rinsed before it set all the way, that could be why

0|0
    0|0
  • Have you dyed it yourself? That's most likely the issue then.

0|0
    0|0
  • It faded

1|0
    0|0
    • But it was permanent and has only been on there for just over a week, and why would it only fade at the bottom. It's so weird

• Show All
    • Yeah I do

• Must just be that this type of dye fades quicker

• looks cool

1|0
    0|0
  • It still looks good to me though

1|0
    0|0
  • I DONT UNDERSTAND

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel you but mine looked way worse, still does.

0|0
    0|0
  • The sun must have faded it. Colors with red in them always fade to copper, brown or dark blonde.

It looks lovely in my opinion. If you were dying hair over previously dyed hair that usually risks unpredictable colors. One girl had dyed her hair brown then tried to go back to black. One part turned orange yellow while the rest was black.

If you did it on virgin hair then the color probably didn't take as well because the ends are the oldest part and most damaged.

I suggest you color it with a demi or semi permanent hair dye. You'll have to do touch ups but it's wayyyy less damaging! Only retouch your roots with permanent color if you want but not the previously dyed parts.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes