Do people in general continue to get more and more attractive as the years go by?

I'm straight so I can only tell that women continue to get more and more attractive as years go by it I also think that fashion and nutrition has something to do with it.
Do people in general continue to get more and more attractive as the years go by?Do people in general continue to get more and more attractive as the years go by?
  • Yes only women continue to get more attractive
    Vote A
  • Yes only men continue to get more attractive
    Vote B
  • Both men and women continue to get more attractive
    Vote C
  • Neither men or women continue to get more attractive
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No people in general are not getting more attractive. What skews this view is that the standard of beauty for people on television has increased, causing producers to hunt down more attractive people as well as prevent unattractive people from being filled. Standards of beauty were lower in the 50s because people put more emphasis on personality and acting than purely the look. Not only do people like attractive people more, but the increase in quality of television has made unattractive people look less appealing because it exposes their flaws. Instagram promotes fake beauty with makeup and lighting. But if you take that average man or woman without makeup on, they'd look about the same as 50 years ago

1|1
    0|1
    • How about when it comes to body shape? Most people back then didn't look ripped, nowadays a lot of people (mostly men) look ripped.

• Show All
    • @bastro
      Agreed. Manufacturing and physical labor (blue collar jobs) used to be very common, so men didn't need to work out to be fit because their everyday work made them fit. People also used to eat better (less obesity) because there weren't as many processed and fast food joints available coupled with people used to have better family units with the wife home-cooking good food. Obesity is partially due to laziness, but our culture became lazy with technology and desk jobs because we don't have to work as hard

Social media has made bodybuilding for men and makeup for women popular because it feeds their egos. People in the past didn't have as much tolerance for concededness, and being beautiful wasn't the most important thing in life because they had families to take care of. People have no purpose in life anymore, so they make idols out of themselves and worship each other

• They also didn't have social media in the 50s so you had to actually have photos developed and there wasn't a way to shove your life in everyone's faces so easily

And the ideal body shape has changed over the years. Ancient Greeks preferred pear shapes and we now prefer hourglasses in America. Egypt likes fat women and so did the Renaissance era because obesity shows wealth

Fashion can also distort you original question. We don't think people from the 80s are as attractive now because straight hair is much more fashionable now whereas perms were all the rage back then. Taking cultural and societal preferences into account is also important

Most Helpful Guy

• That 1950s picture is a black and white still from the 1984 movie "Revenge of the Nerds" which took place in 1984.

By the way, the actor on the left is Anthony Edwards who I am watching right at this moment as Dr. Mark Greene in "ER".

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 20

• I mean this one is a hard one because in any time period there will be attractive people and not so attractive people. However as time has gone on we've also got new styles for fashion that accentuate our good parts adding a sexier feel to some clothing. So I feel like all in all the people will always be a variety of attractiveness throughout the ages

1|0
    0|0
  • Personally I think that today both men and women are more attractive because in the 1950s if you were unattractive then it wasn't easy to get laid thus crossing off undesirable genes.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it's because of mixing races.
    Better make up and dress knowledge.
    More advanced beauty techniques.
    Etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • No one. It's just social media, the internet and world in overall that shows the most attractive people more than ever before thanks to the technology.

1|0
    0|0
  • They seemed to have more class and style before. I grew up in the 1980s and everyone looked completely weird by then!

0|0
    0|0
  • i don't know. I always thought women and men before where more attaractive and more classy

1|0
    0|0
  • No. We just learned the trick with lighting and angles, and using models and make up to take every photo

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. People are going smarter and smarter and come up with what's attractive and what's not. So I believe so.

0|0
    0|0
  • They were attractive at that time. Maybe if people from the 40s saw us they'd find us unattractive

0|0
    0|0
  • we now have make up and plastic surgery and clothing that shapes our bodies.

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe most of the perceived attractiveness is due to the the ever-changing trends in body shape, fashion, makeup, hair styles and cultural views. Basically, society and pop culture are always impacting what's attractive and hip, and so the trends of the 20s aren't so pleasing to the eye as the the ones someone may've grown up with. On the other hand, 1st world countries, such as the United States, have the comforts of an ever-increasing arsenal of skin care and makeup technology, as well as the taboos of "men and skincare" gradually lifting. Not to mention, with the age of information upon us, we're more informed than ever on how to look and stay attractive throughout life (not putting radium on your nails, cigarettes are terrible for you).
    All of these factors contribute to why men and women may seem more attractive continuously.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ehhhhh

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope it's just all in the mind

1|0
    0|0
  • Or it could just be your hormones

0|1
    0|0
  • Men are more attractive now, women less...

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the tendency is for people to become more attractive as we are becoming an altogether mixed population and the gene combination is said to produce more attractive features.

0|0
    0|0
  • it was the culture back then that made people look "unattractive" , the clothes they wore and what people said about them

1|2
    0|0
    • I agree. They were the same people though. Just some people associate current styles with attractiveness.

• Men continue to generally

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't say more attractive. It's just different

1|0
    0|0
  • We have different standards of beauty with time, like the days of Greece a voluptuous body was liked more while in the 1920's thin bodyish frames were liked better.

Also look at old beauty pageants their standards were average where as now we have very stringent rules of beauty to follow some aren't even achievable without like 30 pounds of makeup.

In the older days people had to present themselves older as well after 21 you were technically already a full pledged adult and had to dress like one. Nowadays we see youth as more better than looking older.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 11

• C.

It's because of better nutrition and fashion/make up/styling that today is allowed to be more tuned towards attractiveness than in the past.

0|1
    0|0
  • Do clothes and styles get tighter and cover less as the years go by? Is that what you are insinuating?

As an aside, really glad highwaisted shorts and pants are making a comeback... NOT.

0|0
    0|0
    • I had a question on the board not too long ago about that. A lot of other guys dislike those too so don't think you're alone lol.

• No, nothing like that. I think it will depend on the genetics

0|0
    0|0
  • Women were FAR FAR better-looking in the past, so no way.

2|0
    0|0
  • As we get older, we get more attractive. Both us men and the rest women.

0|0
    0|0
  • Either I didn't understand the question or you phrased it wrong.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes, as a silly example compare people nowadays to the caveman era and there is your answer.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • this depends of the person

0|0
    0|0
  • Women age like cheese, men age like wine

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's just perspective I think. Our standard of beauty is different than before.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes