Is make up a part of women's work attire?

I've been getting more lazy with my make up lately because more make up equals an earlier wake up (how poetic). I work as a travel agent and occasionally see customers face to face even though everything happens online nowadays. Would it be unprofessional if I wasn't wearing any make up?

Keep in mind that I'm not one of those natural beauties who look fabulous without a hint of make up. My skin is quite bad and I have red spots all over and my eyebrows are so light that it basically looks like I don't have them at all. Oh and the black circles around my eyes. Don't forget about the black circles! Some people might even think I look gross without make up. So am I obligated to wear make up just as I'm obligated to wear professional clothing?

What about another profession? Let's say I was selling cosmetics (which I'm not cause I don't even know what half of the stuff is called nowadays) and I didn't wear make up to work. Would you be hesitant to buy make up from me or ask for my advice?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Being professional is about how you act. Unless you look unkept and legitimately dirty, just keep your clothes tidy and you'll be fine. I think people pay more attention to the quality of how you act and how you talk to them more so than anything else.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on the job... a cosmetologist would absolutely have to wear make up. They're a walking advertisement for both their products and their skill... same as a hair dresser should be well groomed and not have stringy oily strands all over their face kind of thing.

For yours, I think as long as you're still well presented you don't need to wear make up. By that I mean clean and tidy hair, washed face and teeth etc.
    I work in IT and very, very rarely wear make up (I'd much rather more sleep) and don't feel it's hindered my progress in anyway. I will say, that I get my brows tinted and lash extensions but that's because I too have light and gappy brows lol and I can't wear mascara as it just smudges into dark circles so lashes are easy for me to maintain and I don't have to put in any effort

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• I don't think you're obligated to and I realize how demeaning it to say women HAVE to wear makeup to be professional. That being said, I personally prefer the 'natural' makeup look. That's for all occasions. Don't go overboard, but don't skimp out either.

0|0
    0|0
  • You won't be as effective in your line of work if you look bad coming to work. There's no gun to your head but personally I would pretty much always at least wear light make up.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care about makeup.

0|1
    0|0
  • Natural.. Naaa.. make up..!

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 10

• I think yes... it is...
    Unfortunately - because the world is so used to it... it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you deal with people directly at work, I think some form of make up is required. Foundation, mascara and gloss on your lips is more then enough. You're an employee to a company and you're there to set a positive appearance and service to any customers that walk in..

If I could rock up to work in my pyjamas that would honestly be the life lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes you need to wear makeup. I work in IT, and, even though most women in a field like that don't wear makeup, I do. I want to give off the impression that I care about my appearance. Sloppiness is unprofessional

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't believe anyone NEEDS to do anything though. We live in such a deranged society where females feel like they HAVE to wear make up. I prefer no make up. The chicks that pound on make up crack me up.

• Show All
    • "My skin is quite bad and I have red spots all over and my eyebrows are so light that it basically looks like I don't have them at all. Oh and the black circles around my eyes. Don't forget about the black circles! Some people might even think I look gross without make up."

• I'm sure you look just fine!

• I'm a Beauty Therapist , so I'm expected to wear makeup at work. It's part of my attire for work 😂 I love makeup though. I enjoy trying out new techniques, and new products that are on the market

I don't believe anyone should wear makeup if they don't want to, for whatever reason. In my opinion, it's not unprofessional to wear no makeup. As long as you are clean and smartly dressed then that's enough.

Some people have extremely sensitive skin, and can't wear any makeup products at all , because they have a severe allergic reaction to makeup. It doesn't make them appear any less professional

If someone has had a late night , and they look a little worse for wear , they could put a little concealer under their eyes, and apply mascara and lipstick and that's enough to brighten up their dull tired appearance

0|0
    0|0
  • Not so much in the legal profession, it's pretty much the opposite and those who do wear it, it's very minimal. It depends on the profession tbh.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is but it shouldn't be

0|0
    0|0
  • I work at Mac and I can tell you that people do not buy makeup from someone that isn't wearing any, they come inside our store and ask to have the makeup look we are wearing, the lipstick we are wearing

0|0
    0|0
  • i hate make up. it is fake. everything is fake anymore it is hard to find a natural beauty

1|0
    0|0
    • I personally don't think there's anything wrong with make up in itself but everything should be used in moderation.

• I don't think it matters as a travel agent. They're going to be wanting a holiday regardless what you look like. But a cosmetic woman would have to as looks a bit dodgy your trying to sell a product you have no interest in using yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • lol I got taken off reception area when I didn't wear makeup. My boss never said anything but he'd make me do stuff in the back and put someone else up front. then I started doing it on purpose to not have to work up front.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes