Is make up a part of women's work attire?

I've been getting more lazy with my make up lately because more make up equals an earlier wake up (how poetic). I work as a travel agent and occasionally see customers face to face even though everything happens online nowadays. Would it be unprofessional if I wasn't wearing any make up?

Keep in mind that I'm not one of those natural beauties who look fabulous without a hint of make up. My skin is quite bad and I have red spots all over and my eyebrows are so light that it basically looks like I don't have them at all. Oh and the black circles around my eyes. Don't forget about the black circles! Some people might even think I look gross without make up. So am I obligated to wear make up just as I'm obligated to wear professional clothing?

What about another profession? Let's say I was selling cosmetics (which I'm not cause I don't even know what half of the stuff is called nowadays) and I didn't wear make up to work. Would you be hesitant to buy make up from me or ask for my advice?

115

Most Helpful Guy

• Being professional is about how you act. Unless you look unkept and legitimately dirty, just keep your clothes tidy and you'll be fine. I think people pay more attention to the quality of how you act and how you talk to them more so than anything else.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on the job... a cosmetologist would absolutely have to wear make up. They're a walking advertisement for both their products and their skill... same as a hair dresser should be well groomed and not have stringy oily strands all over their face kind of thing.

For yours, I think as long as you're still well presented you don't need to wear make up. By that I mean clean and tidy hair, washed face and teeth etc.
    I work in IT and very, very rarely wear make up (I'd much rather more sleep) and don't feel it's hindered my progress in anyway. I will say, that I get my brows tinted and lash extensions but that's because I too have light and gappy brows lol and I can't wear mascara as it just smudges into dark circles so lashes are easy for me to maintain and I don't have to put in any effort