Why do women wear high heels?

High heeled shoes cause toe, foot, ankle, knee, hip, and back problems. High heeled shoes cost more and wear out sooner than flats or other shoes. Women who wear high heels walk like geishas and seem vulnerable. I often see women walking barefoot carrying their high heels because their feet hurt. With all of these disadvantages, why do women wear high heels?

I know a few people will answer, "to look taller," but this cannot be the reason for most women who wear high heels because many of them are above average height. C'mon ladies, what is the honest reason or reasons that you wear them?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• well for heels, in general, it goes back to France. noble aristocratic Men wore them as a status symbol.
    media.gettyimages.com/.../portrait-of-louis-xiv-of-france-known-as-louis-the-great-or-the-sun-picture-id164086177

sort of how Chinese women use to bind their feet. you can't work in heels so its a sign you are upper class. it also makes you taller and more out there. as for normal heels. high heels were worn for equestrian sports and such as they could lock onto the loops around the feet easier

eventually, women started to do the same thing along with wearing hats and smoking pipes either to piss off men or for some feminist like thing. it eventually became more popular with women and most men stopped wearing them.

women wear them now to make themselves taller and it pushes out the butt and forces them to have a sexier posture. it's also a sign they don't do menial labor or walk much

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • well, that's the full answer if you want some illogical nonsensical drivel. check the other comments. most these people would stab their thigh and walk around with a knife in it if it was popular never asking why

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 20

• even tho I find heels pretty (well, some) I always wear flats, sneakers, comfy shoes. I feel unbalanced and clumsy when I wear heels. so I only wear them on very special occasions. EXCEPT AT WORK where I don't have a CHOICE because it's simply mandatory for me to wear these kinds of outfits and these kind of shoes.
    and I find it revolting.
    sure, many women love wearing heels and wouldn't complain. yet I don't, I hate it. are my male coworker forcefully asked to wear heels? I don't think so. yet I am. and I feel angst. that's it that's all for me. you were asking why women wore heels well, some of them do because they do not have a choice.

0|1
    0|0
  • My heels don't hurt me and I can run in them. I like the way they look with my outfits and they accentuate my long legs. I'm already tall so it's not for that reason for me personally. Just like the way I look in them and the noise they make when I walk lol

0|1
    0|0
  • I just like wearing them because they lift my heels from the ground. Im weird in the way that ever since I was a kid, without thinking I'd basically walk on on my tiptoes. With heels, I can get the same effect and not look strange.

Granted, I still dont wear heels unless I go somewhere that I must dress formally.

0|0
    0|0
  • To make us feel pretty, look better, feel taller, or make an outfit pop every once in a while that's it. Normally a lot of women don't wear them everyday if they do I hope its the shorter ones

0|1
    0|0
  • I like them because they make my legs look hott, and my outfits look better. There also seem to be this idea that women in are society that where heels are classy, so I guess that too.

0|0
    0|0
  • because it makes their legs look longer, their butt thicker and their hips broader. = a confidence boost

I personally don't cuz I don't need to suffer and I couldn't care less.

0|0
    0|0
  • Becuase we look hot, sexy, and our legs are looking good!! high heels helped me in a way of getting good posture. like my momma said, " pain is beauty".

2|0
    0|0
  • i feel powerful. and my calves look good. end of story

0|1
    0|0
  • Depending on how they are, they'll lead to those problems. Why I don't wear them

0|1
    0|0
  • They just think they look good in high heels. Like more feminine

0|0
    0|0
  • I wear them a] because I am short, and b] they make me feel sexy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I rarely wear heels

0|1
    0|0
  • Heels are sexy and makes my legs look better

0|1
    0|0
  • my butt looks better, supposedly

0|0
    0|0
  • I wear them because i'm only 4 foot 8

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally, I just feel more confident in high heels. As most of the other women have said, they makes my legs look longer and they show off my calves nicely. You tend to have better posture. Also, they did things for my ass. Lol. It's great.
    There are down sides absolutely, after a 12 hour day my hips and knees can hurt especially if I've been on harder floors (tile, cement)

0|0
    0|0
    • I however don't need to take my shoes off because my feet hurt. Many times this is because either women aren't used to wearing heels, the shoes aren't broken in or they're I'll fitting to start with.
      I've heard before that wearing high heels can do damage to the muscles in your calves, if you wear them consistently. Not sure if it's true as ice never looked that up. Stupid on my part but it won't stop me from wearing them.
      I work in sales and have a certain dress code. To simplify, pants and blazers or skirts and sweater sets. I'm going with the sweater sets over the blazers. I don't look awesome in flats with a pencil skirt. It just doesn't look great, I dont think. So it's almost a have to situation for me.
      As a side note, many women that walk in high heels consistently have no problem keeping them on and some can even run in them. Not a great plan but some chicks just need to woman up. Lol

• to look sexy

0|0
    0|0

• I have 14 pairs of shoes, out of those I have one pair of flats. All of my heels are a minimum of 4 inches. I wear heels because I think they are comfortable, I have very arched feet and wearing a shoe where I can practically shove my hand under my foot is extremely uncomfortable. Along with that, heels help with posture, make your calves look amazing, and make you as almost as tall as your 6 ft boyfriend. Heels have a lot of negatives, but they aren't lacking in positives. 👠👢👡

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they're cute! :) it makes an outfit look better and it's a personal preference not all girls like it. My heels don't wear out faster then my sandals or sneakers because I only wear them on special occasions and to church plus I take good care of them:) not all heels are tremendously tall. I like medium high heels because it's what I can feel the most comfortable in and I don't like feeling too tall.

0|1
    0|0
  • I agree. its bad for your feet. I guess it make women look more lanky and feminine?

1|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 2

• Taller, sexier, calves look better, butt looks perkier.

0|1
    0|0
  • They're dumb

0|1
    1|0

Recommended myTakes