Why do females spend so much hours applying makeup?

It just screams out insecurity to be honest.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• If it's being done as an enjoyable hobby, no problem. It's a pretty artistic hobby, kinda like drawing. If someone's doing it because they believe they look ugly without a mask, though, that itself is pretty psychologically unhealthy. Not telling people what to do, but majority of girls (maybe a few questionable guys ^^ *cough*) look fine without makeup unless some sort of disaster happened to their face, which some unconfident makeup users refuse to believe.

2|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• We do it because it IS important. Or rather, society as a whole has decided it is important. And yes, in a way, it is insecurity, but it's an insecurity that's being carefully nurtured and cultivated by people who make money off of it.

Very few people like to be told that they're ugly, or losers, or not good enough, and the fashion and beauty industry makes millions by telling women that they're not pretty enough -- usually not directly, but more like in a "you would look so great if you just highlighted your cheeks a little more, if you used a nice mascara and lipstick, if you wore a shorter skirt..."

5|0
    2|1
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • It's not an insecurity for every women

• Show All
    • Cause bottom line they look fake and they stupid to listen to the "media" lmfao

• Sadly, I tend not to listen to people why say things like "bitch stfu and gtfo my shit."

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• Some like doing their makeup, but others do do it because they're insecure.

6|1
    0|0
  • I have a friend who does that, I can understand if it's once in a while, but if it's almost every time you go out, even to work you spend more han 5-10 minutes, that's too long...

worst sentence ever

0|0
    0|0
  • this pink fake profile is a woman hater who cannot get any girl that's why he keeps insulting women...

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not easy to do you can't just whip a magic wand and there you go it takes time to do.

0|0
    0|0
  • To secure the alpha before her female competitors do, duh.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know.

0|0
    0|0
  • Insecure

1|0
    2|0
  • They won't theirsevses Beatiful as much they won't

0|0
    2|0
  • They are too Self-conscious.

0|0
    0|0
  • coz they are fool :P

1|0
    2|0

What Girls Said 28

• While some may only wear it because of insecurity, many other women wear makeup because they like it, think it's fun, view it as an art, and/or simply enjoy it. The bigger question is, why does it bother you?

4|1
    1|0
  • tbh I rarely wear makeup, I'm quite a low maintenance chick ahah. so I often go out right after I smeared my hydrating cream all over my very nude face and it takes about 30 secs.
    but sometimes I just feel like putting on makeup! and this has nothing to do with insecurity, since well, I go barefaced all the time.
    it is about yea mascara looks good on me. doesn't mean I don't like my eyes without it (I love them) it's about yea some powder looks nice. and maybe a bit of this or that. and it doesn't mean I don't look nice without it.
    makeup can be a tool, a game...
    I agree some (let's loosen that amount) women feel more secure about their own appearance when they're wearing makeup. and I think they shouldn't be ashamed, they shouldn't be blamed for being insecure, not being able to accept their own image but encouraged to like themselves more naturally. maybe more compliments would be useful there instead of booing makeup freaks?
    anyway the only reason I take up to 20min (and it feels too long to me tbh 😂) to put makeup on sometimes is because I suck at it and therefore take more time.
    I sometimes have to do it in the train! but I'll forever admire the women who manage to draw perfect winged liner while standing in the crowded tube in the morning. that's a talent to me, and you have to feel VERY secure to even try to do it. I mean I fuck liner up even when I'm in front of my bathroom mirror

0|1
    0|0
  • Well some see it as art, some are just insecure about themselves and others just do it for fun but i don't think they need it tbh cause God made us naturally beautifull...

4|0
    1|0
  • Makeup is art!!! We do it because it's fucking fun not because we're insecure.

2|1
    1|1
    • How tf is makeup fun? lol I don't see much girls wake up in the morning and say "omg it's time to put on my daily makeup yay so excited can't wait" it's obviously insecurity, could you go 1 year with no makeup? hmm

• Show All
    • dont u see her name lmfaoooo ' & yet men love fake women with makeup disgusting

• Like I said earlier, my name doesn't have anything to do with anything. It's also from Workaholics you uncultured swine lol. We don't go around saying that mean are fake because they look like a child once they shave their beards.

• Why do you care and why are you watching other females so hard? You jealous of what? Don't see why you'd notice so much in the first place.
    How about you stop watching other females so hard and just do your own thing.
    And that's coming from somebody who rarely wears any makeup at all.

2|0
    0|0
  • I'm wonder the same dang thing. I only spend time on my makeup for a special occasion. Other then that, 5 minutes a day.. Other days I don't wear any.. It is time consuming and what goes on must come off at the end of the day. Unless you're one of those nasty girls that goes to bed with a face full of makeup, that wakes up to their face on their pillow.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not everyone woman that wears makeup is insecure. I personally can go with or without it, but on certain days or special occasions I usually put it on. Some women wear it because they like to play around with it or apply art to their faces. Sometimes when a person is feeling down applying makeup and putting on a great outfit can change their mood. Not really sure why you care why women spend time doing what they want to their body, when it has no effect on you.

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't quite understand how it's anyone else's business how much time someone spends doing their make up.

I personally don't like make up and I'm way too lazy to spend time on it. That doesn't mean I think everyone should be like me. In fact I admire people who actually know how to do their make up. It's a talent. I've never been good at it.

However, I use make up and it's definitely because I'm insecure. I use foundation because my skin is uneven and has red spots all over. Again, that doesn't mean everyone does it for the same reason. Some people simply enjoy make up. And why is it wrong for me to cover up my skin when I'm insecure about it?

3|1
    1|0
  • Addiction to makeup. It's similar to a first high from a substance. After that first time applying the paint to their face, and they got the attention from their population, they become hooked on makeup like there's no tomorrow, they see other girls wearing it and wanna be a prototype of them. It's ridiculous, but everyone wants to be connected to someone and nobody wants to feel unattractive or remotely different.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's fun and you can also make a career out of it, I only do it once in a while but it's enjoyable. Certainly some do it out of insecurity, but not all (or even most, I rarely see women with heavy makeup on a daily basis) of them. I get it's not for everyone and that's fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ask any makeup artist. They do it because to them it is art.

3|0
    1|1
  • Your judgement scream insecurity to be honest. Who cares what other people do...

4|0
    2|0
  • Because it's fun!!!❤️❤️❤️ Love putting on highlighter and glittery eyeshadow :). It's an art really in my opinion.

1|0
    0|0
  • It takes time and they want to look their best
    I only wear natural make up though so it only takes me a few minutes

1|0
    0|0
  • How else do you expect us to get our makeup game on point?

1|0
    0|0
  • I live for moisturizer. I don't wear makeup at all. I think it's a form of armor for some women in facing the world.

0|0
    0|0
  • What is wrong of looking pretty with make up on? That is not call insecurity. Many women were not born naturally pretty in order not to wear make up and still look flawless and beautiful. That is why cosmetics were created, so help a woman looking a bit better without going au natural always.

In my case I dont look good with no make up on so I have to put some. I do disagree though those ladies who were tons and tons of make up layers, that they end up looking like clowns, they look terrible, I dont do that I try to wear make up and try not to put a lot.

0|0
    1|0
  • It takes less than an hour to do make-up unless you're doing some full body, or something festive for something. Also, make-up is fun and artistic which is what people like about it. Oh, and if you don't get at least some practice with it you'll end up looking like this lady who clearly doesn't know how to do it, and you don't want to look like you've got upside down Nike's check marks for a special event or occasion.

(Mute it if you don't want to hear the annoying voice of the annoying orange turd)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhXNDfmhD3g

0|0
    0|0
  • it's my hobby and it's fun

3|1
    1|0
  • True. But to many, it's just for fun.

2|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes