Are moisturisers really necessary?

I've tried so many moisturisers but they either make me more oily or break me out. I've oily skin type. My skin actually got better without it, but I've seen so many people on the internet saying that moisturising is extremely important if you want good skin. Like it's their holy grail or something. Do you all have any to recommend to me? No natural oils like coconut oil please, that didn't work either. Oil-free didn't work too. :(((

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Try Cetaphil SPF 30 dermacontrol moisturizer. It's purple.

2|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • And it's oil free.
      SPF 30 is important because exposing acne to the suns rays can cause them to scar.

Most Helpful Girl

• Moisturizers are not necessary if you don't have dry skin or if your soap/ cleanser and your water don't dry your skin out. Use a ph-balanced soap/ cleanser and avoid hot water and long showers and then you won't dry out your oily skin and won't need a moisturizer. Doing this may also reduce your excessive sebum production because drying your oily skin out causes rebound effect (your body produces more and more sebum to protect your skin). Companies try to make us feel like we need a lot of things we don't, and a lot of people buy into it and propagate the idea.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 21

• It is important to moisturise, it's not a hoax. Our skin can become damaged and dry which can cause irritation. You don't want leather feeling skin.

I have oily skin and use Redwin Vitamin E cream for body use.
    abs-images.aussiefarmers.com.au/.../...0g-5688.jpg

1|0
    0|0
  • yup they are. I never used moisturizers before and my skim became very dry.

So now I am trying to get in the habit of using moisturizer. I am using aveeno one with spf 15.
    Also for a body lotion from aveeno.
    Other than that fix your diet/drink more water.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have oily skin too and moisturising also caused me to breakout so I only moisturise when my face is feeling dry. But that rarely happens so...

Everyone has different skin conditions even tho you share the same skin type. Maybe some people with oily skin find that moisturising helps but I don't tbh so I don't do it anymore. :) I know how you feel.

0|0
    0|0
  • Moisturizer isn't important if it doesn't benefit you or only makes it worse. I would recommend just using soap it can do wonders for your skin if it's oily or sensitive.

But if you want to take an extra step and continue to take care of your skin well at least face. Try exfoliating/a mask occasionally.

0|0
    0|0
  • To be honest, I have used them in the past, I still have some of them but I have never noticed a difference.
    They just make me smell nicer. That is all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mario Badescu has great moisturizers for oily skin it's kind of pricey but I think it's worth it because I tried Neutrogena but in over dried my skin.

0|0
    0|0
  • Take the advice of those who suggested the oily-skin-type moisturizers that you should use. And if those don't work out, see a dermatologist.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's not necessary, it may be some peoples holy grail, but if your skin is best without it, then listen to your skin and go without it!

0|0
    0|0
  • You need a moisturizer that's for oily or acne prone skin. Not moisturizing is a good way to prematurely age skin.

1|0
    0|0
  • Moisturizers break me out too. Maybe it's because your skin is already oily and don't need it. Use just a little bit if anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • Activated carbon once a week 15mins, wash off, then put aloe vera asap after that. Aloe vera is the best moisturiser for me.
    Choose micellar water either milk cleanser instead of oil cleanser.

0|0
    0|0
  • Try gel moisturizers. They're a lot lighter than the creams and soaks right into your skin.

2|0
    0|0
  • You should look into serums and the ones that work best with your skin type.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes!!! you'll have wrinkly, bad textured skin and saggy skin by the time you're 30. best thing you can do is drink water and moisterize!!

0|0
    0|0
    • honestly best thing for ur skin is oil!! but if u can't do that... I suggest buy sensitive skin/baby lotion

• i have oily skin but there are many moisturizers for oily people

0|0
    0|0
  • its not a bad thing but using to much can be bad for your skin. if its bwtter without it dont use it

0|0
    0|0
  • Shiseido is a really solid brand

0|0
    0|0
  • Vaseline

0|0
    0|0
  • Neutrogena Sensitive skin

0|0
    0|0
  • I have oily skin and I need one with spf. When i skipped using it, my face had dry patches and discoloration.

I use Neutrogena daily face moisturizer with spf 30. ... but maybe you don't need it! Esp If you have a good diet

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes