Do you think that depression can cause breakouts?

I've been breaking out badly and the size of these omg, extra large. I never had such a bad breakout and it's not that I'm doing anything that could cause them. But I'm depressed and I wonder if it's because of that. I'm really worried. Nowadays I just can't go out without foundation over some spots. It does not hide the breakouts but hides only the redness and scarrings from them. And it's super gross too.

I've always had really acne-prone skin but this time it's too much. Any advice?
Updates:
Regarding the stress thing: I have had breakouts from stress before. But they have never been so gigantic they are bigger than my entire face -.-

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't think depression would, but it's quite commonly known that stress can. Perhaps it could be some stress that is making you depressed and also breakout?

It's really hard to know exactly, but I guess you'd be best just trying to relax, meditate, drink plenty of water etc. The worst part about pimples is people tend to stress out when they get them, which in turn causes more breakouts. Try and break that cycle.

If it gets bad, try going to the doctors and seek treatment. There are antibiotics like minocycline which can work quite well.

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• There are a lot of factors why you could be breaking out. Stress plays a big part in the health and wellness of your body. However, you said that you've never had acne this bad so maybe its stress combini with something else. What have you been eating and drinking lately? if you've been intaking a lot of dairy products this could be the cause of such bad acne. Dairy contains growth hormones that when mixed with naturally produced testosterone it creates inflammation that causes acne.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• The hormones that cause depression can also cause breakouts but not depression itself.
    Depression isn't that bad either it comes and goes it just depends on what you do either you can let it take hold if you or you can not and be the person you would normally be when the depression ends. Trust me i'm a man I know what depression is its part of out menstrual cycle"s" after all way more men commit suicide then women.
    As for acne see a doctor he can give you medicine.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes i believe depression a emotional disorder it can upset the balance of the chemicals of the brain thus can cause break outs of acne. When I had depression and anxiety i always had bad break out of acne when i was in my late teen years.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes it can!

1|0
    0|0
  • yes it can, see your Doctor

2|0
    0|0
  • Stress might. Depression... Not sure.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes the stress will cause you to breakout

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 16

• Well, when people are depressed often they're less likely to take care of themselves or eat right, and that can have an impact on skin and hair. So maybe indirectly it can affect skin.
    Stress of course can come with depression, and stress can cause all sorts of skin and hair issues.

2|0
    0|0
  • The stress can make you break out yes but since you said you always had acne prone skin I'm almost sure it's from that. Probably hormonal acne. Drink a ton of water, change your pillow case every two days, don't touch your face and wash it twice a day with something specific for acne like benzac or stop acne soap also don't forget your sunscreen.

2|0
    0|0
  • Of course. Often depression is accompanied by stress and stress definatsley can cause acne. Additionally when we're depressed, we don't take as good a care of our bodies. That neglect, where Diet, hygiene, excersise and proper sleep can suffer and manifest on our skin. Try the focus on taking better care of yourself. in doing so, you may find your depression AND acne diminish.

1|0
    0|0
  • It definitely can. Any bad habits like sleeping, stress, or poor diet or any sudden fluctuations in your life as well as hormonal shifts can cause acne break outs.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, definitely. Try relaxing a bit. Do something nice for yourself every day. Polish your nails or make yourself a pancake or so. Take half an hour for positive thinking and loving yourself. 💖

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure if depression can, but stress can. I would suggest drinking lots of water to help with your breakouts.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not directly. Stress can cause breakouts, or lack of motivation commonly found in depressed people may cause poor hygiene.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think so, depression, stress, anxiety, etc. are all things that could have an effect on your skin.

2|0
    0|0
  • Hormones can cause break outs. Depression can't really.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your stress is causing you to get pimples

1|0
    0|0
  • May be

1|0
    0|0
  • try to relax, acne is commonly caused by stress

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I believe so

0|0
    0|0
  • puberty
    stress

0|0
    0|0
  • He will be happy if your not exist.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm sure it can have medicine-like effects.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes