Does professionally done makeup always look "good"?

Does professionally done makeup always look My brother started this debate with me after I pointed out that the eyeshadow on this advertisement looks kinda whack in the corners.. It wings upwardly in a weird way and has no direction it's just kinda "there"... And he said "well, it was professionally done" and I said "that doesn't mean that it looks good." And so I went to prove my point further and pull up the following pictures- professionally done but they don't necessarily look good by default.. I wouldn't want to walk around wearing these lmao. Yes, while makeup is art and all (trust me I'm an artist lol) it doesn't necessarily make it look "good" or appealing.. So what's your say? Do you agree with me or my brother?

Not to say that people go around town looking like any of these.. Honestly.. Advertisements are misleading because literally NOBODY walks around town looking like ANY of those dolled up people πŸ˜…

• I agree with you ebby
  • I agree with your brother
  • Other/comment
    Vote C
Select a gender to cast your vote:
To clarify: the outlandish examples I used were purposeful... They were to stimulate you. If I were to have asked this question without those examples your typical person would most likely think "well yeah of course professional makeup would look good" etc. I also got a bit goofy towards the end of my desc. Personally I find all of those makeup pics to have been done extremely well as they're very artistic and as previously stated- I'm an artist.

2341

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, you can't compare every day makeup to art pieces.
    But I agree that just because the person applying has a skill it doesn't mean the result will always look good.

For example the makeup in the first picture just looks tacky and overdone in my opinion.

• Lol yeah the first picture makeup looked pretty tacky.. That's a good word for it!

Most Helpful Girl

• If they're a real professional and they're good at their job, yeah, it always looks good - meaning it always looks exactly (or close to it) what they imagined it to be, what they wanted it to look like.

Now... if everyone will like it is another thing - not everyone likes all fashion, all music, all paintings... so it's safe to say not everyone will like every single makeup look...
    And it would be weird if they did.

• Hmm yes that's a really good point also!'thanks for the input πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ

What Guys Said 40

• You can expect professionally done make-up to be generally executed well. Those 5 pictures you showed were executed well. "Good" is a very subjective word, and the way you see "good" seems to be "what I would wear in public."

So, your brother's right in that professional makeup is usually very well done. But appealing to those artists may not be appealing to you, making you believe that it's "not good." You'll need to be more specific on what "good" is. Does "good" = "appealing to my taste" (subjective) or "good" = "executed well" (objective).

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Often we see what we wish to see. If we assume that professionals always do good work because they're professionals, we will look at their work and think it looks good. It's largely a matter of a opinion in that regard, though personally I would agree with you. Not all makeup looks good simply because it's done by a professional, just like not every haircut you get at the barber's looks good. Professional doesn't mean immune to flaws despite what many might have you believe. At least that's how I see it. Feel free to agree or disagree at any point :)

• Guess professional makeup would look good, if they actually made normal makeup. Like women do themselves, only with more skills.

So no, just because it's professionally done does of course not mean it looks good. But only because it does not look good, does not mean the makeup artist does not have more skill than the regular girl.

But I don't like makeup anyway. Only eyeliner. Eyeliner is hot.

• Yeah I understand what you mean. Nicely said!

I agree that eyeliner is pretty hot. Hence it's about the only makeup that I'll wear.

• You win with a margin Ebby :D
    Some girls look best without, some with a little. Few girls look good after a DIY job with 2 layers on there :-(
    So for me, you're much closer to the truth :D

• Maybe you are both right.

If he was solely directing I'd say it's strange he did not know the makeup was different. If someone else directed the makeup artist then it's not surprising he does not know.

But if his client/employer is happy it's all good

• these pictures made my d*** so freaking soft, I should press charges cuz it might never be hard again

• No, some looks good but some look like I took a piece of charcoal between my ass and drew on someone's face.

Plus I apply mine better when I went out to some Visual Kei meet.

• Haha yeah I feel that.

Ah oh that sounds really awesome omgg I wanna go to one of those one day!

• A mortician puts on β€œprofessional makeup” so I don’t know if that would be considered always β€œgood”. Kidding aside a little only is better. Some to accent your features with.

• I think I agree with you more?
    To clarify though, I'm more a fan of the natural look...

• Why can't girls just wear the bear minimum besides playing etch e sketch on their faces.

• It's artistry. That makeup is not suitable for everyday wear obviously.

• @Gianna17 Yeah I can see the respect in that, I thought the question pertained to daily or overall beauty. I wouldn't find this beautiful in a "non-artistic" way. It is artistic and it does look good, I just imagined if it was "attractive' and to me that is a no, however beauty is subjective so it depends on who you ask.

• nope. professionals are also humans.

• When a woman where's make up it all depends on what style color, design or level of applying that matches the woman, and once a woman pass that phase if its applied professionally (In a sharp, Classy, Sexy or smooth way) that is what makes the women looks beyond great.

• Not even a realistic debate here, the plain first one looks great and all the rest look good too provided their that way for a reason or event.

• looks like shit

• Well in that perspective you're right but you would think it should be done well if it's professionally done

• I agree with you Ebby. I think ALL makeup looks whack.

• Haha all? I don't think ALL of it does but it sometimes just simply doesn't look good at all to me πŸ˜…

• Thank you 😁

• Yer very welcome fam

• As a form of art, sure. As an indicator of human beauty, no. Looks fake.

• The less make up, the better.

• make up is shit no matter who does it

• nope, not all professional make up looks good, it depends on what "good" is. I agree with your brother.

• Like any art - it's a matter of opinion and taste. Not everyone likes Van Gough or Picasso, yet no-one would argue that wasn't art.

• I feel like its personal preference and some people like the outlandish make up and others like simpler make up

• I like the top photo the best,, the other ones would be great for Halloween,, but that only happens once a year,,

• Yeah i agree with you. But I like a girl who does her own makeup
    I think the professionals can sometimes over do it with the makeup.

• no, natural looks better

• Nothing is always

• What're you even saying?

• Stalinist russia= dictatorship
      Dictatorship= oppression where people are forced to behave the same way
      You asked if professional makeup 'ALWAYS" looks good

I said no because nothing is always unless we live in a dictatorship.

Jeez,

• But there's even flaws in a dictatorship? There's flaws to practically everything in existence of you ask me

• Always is a strong word young one

• nah I fink

• Art is art - fashion is fashion.

• You were right.

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 22

• I agree with you but not for the reason that you stated. I work in the modelling industry so I frequently have different people applying makeup on my face. Professional only means you get paid for what you do. It doesn't guarantee skill. I've had plenty of professional makeup artists do my makeup in a way that made me less attractive because they weren't experienced with features like mine. My eye shape is more eurasian with smaller eyelids for example and they only knew how to apply makeup on deep set eyelids like you would find on the average caucasian/black person.

The examples you provided that you stated "don't look good" look great. Obviously it's not something you would wear casually but artistically they look amazing.

• I understand entirely what you're saying.

Yes, I'm an artist as I stated in the question haha. I personally do think that all those styles are extremely artistic etc. but those outlandish examples were solely for stimulation purposes.

• High fashion is crazy, but still, people eat that crap up. Outshock the last trend, seems to be what it's all about. The woman in the first picture could be a model in an automobile ad or for a pack of gum. It's sort of a go-to theatre look used in many ads. But the other five? High-end fashion brands, autism, or political - these can be used for many messages. But if I saw *any* of these girls standing at a bus stop, I'd assume they were just weird.

Part of the message is making up the model, and though everyone might agree it looks ridiculous - it makes you look, and that's what an advertiser wants.

• Most of *those* makeup styles are for show but I agree with you Ebby.
    A few years ago I would have agreed with your brother but after being a part of 3 weddings, a special 50th birthday & 50th anniversary where I had the chance to get my makeup done professionally, sometimes they have no idea what they're doing. One lady asked me to get what I would normally use out of my makeup bag and I was like "Oh she's going to see what I like and advise me on colours". Nope, nope. She just started applying my everyday makeup, which she messed up, despite the fact my friend was paying for her to be there.

Much like every work of art isn't good, it depends on the artist, I think the same thing applies to makeup. Some people know their craft & love it, other people are better off sticking to children's face paint.

• Haha yeah I feel ya. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question! That was really good input actually.. As its true that while there's good stuff there's also bad. Nicely said!

• It also takes professional makeup to make people look sick, dying, dead, over worked, poor, drug addicted and otherwise bedraggled in movies and TV. I don't see the same problem with the original pic you doing, but you're right - professional application doesn't always look good to everyone.

• Editorials and advertisements are done extravagantly on purpose. Some are interesting from an artist standpoint. All are eye catching but are they all good: No.
    I also don't think all beauty makeup done by professionals looks good. I have had a couple friends get makeup done for special occasions and it looked caked on and over done. The makeup should fit the person. Most times its what the artist wants not what the client would look good in

• I had some glamor shots done once, and I have never liked how they came out. They caked WAY too much makeup on me, and I ended up looking like a made up corpse. I think their artist must have been a mortician before working there...

• Oh yuck... Yeah I feel like professionals sometimes rely too heavily on makeup.. Like just because you know how to apply it doesn't mean ya need to smother someone in it lol.. Which is what I feel like a lot of professionals will do. They just leave the makeup to take care of everything

• I think that everyone has a different perspective on what "good" looks like so just because a makeup look does not look good to you, does not mean that it is ugly, it just means you and the artist have different taste. People use makeup to express themselves, and while it's true that all the photos you posted were not everyday looks that does not mean they are bad and have no place anywhere. They could be good for Halloween, the runway, theater, etc or just for fun because makeup is supposed to be fun.

• I understand. I'm just pointing out how even something that's professionally done can still not necessarily look great. Regardless of the style. Like how the whole debate stems from me pointing out some weird makeup on the advertisement for the glasses.

• I hate all of these. But there are certain pros that deserve so much love (wayne goss/soniya&fyza). Makeup is a talent and requires skill. Imagine Im a professional artist, sure, I can doodle my best Mona Lisa, but im no da Vinci. Just because someone gets paid for it, doesn't mean its actually any good.

• Normal make up I agree with you but the pictures you pulled up aren't really proving your point you are trying to make.

Take picture two. Would I go to Halloween like that? Sure. Would I go to a wedding? No.

The pictures you've pulled are expressions of art or creativity. They aren't enhancing features in the same way your first picture is intended to.

• Read the update then get back to me please

• No professional does not always mean well done.

There are many photographers and designers in the world. It's all personal taste, what you like might be different to someone else. The difference with make up is its work, not printed

• Yeah I understand. And like someone mentioned there's also a variety in the field as well etc.

• Your both right. While it is professionally done as he says, you don't think it looks good. Also valid. Same as with any art. Both Picasso and Rembrandt were "professional" artists but whether or not their art "looks good" comes down to personal preference.

• Lol no it doesn't. there's a reason Picasso s art sells for millions.

• I dont really care what you minored in.

• @Returnoftheswole cool. Then get off my post.

• Professionally done makeup done by an Experienced Professional (Expert) have higher chances of looking good. Such Experts do it concepts in mind too. However, it is necessary that all have to like 'em. We all have likes and dislikes. πŸ˜˜πŸ’•

• Corrected version of my Comment:
      Professionally done makeup done by an Experienced Professional (Experts) have higher chances of looking good. Such Experts do it even with concepts in their mind. However, it is not necessary that everyone has to like 'em. We all have likes and dislikes. πŸ˜˜πŸ’•

• Haha I suppose. I understand what you mean

• If it is subtle make up or bridal make up (American) then best done by oneself. It is quite easy.

But dramatic or other cultural makeup looks better when professionals do them because they are good with matching the makeup with the dresses, skin tone etc. Also they know different styles so everyone doesn't look the same.

• not always, no.

My friend got her make up done "professionally"
    and she looked like a British prostitute

• Haha oh geez.. That had to be quite the sight and experience πŸ˜…

• @ebbyeb

you have no idea. She has a good friend who is honest with her (me) and I started to question if the make up artist was trying
      to re-create a fetish of hers lolololll

• Haha! Oh geezzz that's crazy lmao

• not necessarily. each make up artist have their own style. and their style may not be likened by me.

• So the first picture you posted was somewhat a picture of a girl with "normal" make up then the rest of the girls you posted was pretty much with make up that is almost considered face paint? Confused

• Lol it seems like you didn't really read my question. But I was having a debate with my brother about the first picture. I had noted that her eyeshadow looked a bit off and my brother said that it was professionally done etc. so then it came down to if makeup is professionally done.. It doesn't mean that it always looks good etc. hence leading to this question. I put the more outlandish examples to jog people's minds more. Of course if you ask someone "does professionally done makeup always look good?" Their initial answer is probably going to be "well, yeah duh." So I put those out as a reminder that there's many different kinds of makeup and that those styles are still professionally done. I think and put quite a lot into my questions. They might seem goofy at times but it's because of how I've planned things out. I've stimulated people's minds in order to get a more accurate answer.

• They're brillz mean to put agree with your bro. Most if not all of them would make for fantastic Halloween costumes and is brilliant in themselves.

• Have you seen the white chick who put hella white makeup on a black girl? And she's a professional. I don't know much about makeup, but I agree with you.

• Nope! And I don't think I want to now haha πŸ˜‚πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ

• It's a matter of opinion. The fact that it was applied by a professional is irrelevant in this instance

• sometimes yes, sometimes no. it all depends on the person's style, skin complexion, age (especially), etc

• Those are scary! Man!

• Not always. It looks good if it suits the person.

• i think they are well done but it isn't attractive makeup if that is what you're getting at

• I think that those examples are done terrifically. It was for stimulative purposes.