What's your opinion on contacts vs. glasses?

I've worn glasses all of my life but have started considering wearing contacts. It'd be nice to be able to not have my face masked with my glasses all the time and to be able to wear sunglasses and actually see properly out of them. But price plays a big part in this.. I don't want to pay too much for contacts.. As contacts are an ongoing expense.. And glasses would be a one time purchase (of about $250 for the frames that I've been considering)... And I can't really tell how much the contacts will cost me as of right now.. I don't have any problems with touching my eye so I probably won't have trouble putting the contacts in etc. but are they worth it? What's been your experience with contacts and glasses? As of now, I'm actually probably leaning more towards just ordering the frames and being done with it all... Since with glasses I could just throw them on and start my day whereas contacts take a second to put on and take off every day.

Nevertheless! What's been your experience with both or either? And what's your advice?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I started wearing glasses when I was about 5 years old, so glasses just became part of my life. About 4 years ago, I decided to try soft contact lenses. I'll never go back to frames unless I have to. There is so much more freedom with contact lenses - no scratched lenses, no fogged lenses, no glasses flying off your face if you receive an impact or turn too quickly, new styling options, the list goes on.

I think the experience greatly depends upon what type of contact lenses you require and can wear. I have to wear toric lenses, so they're more expensive. I am, however, able to wear Air Optix, which apparently many people cannot (including my sister and my eye doctor). These lenses are wonderful, and I've never had any problems with eye stress, irritation, or any problems other wearers have. I can wear them all day, and very often, I'll realize I've gone to bed without removing them, which I then do. But I've never had a time when I had to remove them due to long wear. They're as if I weren't wearing lenses at all.

As far as cost, again, it depends upon what you'll need. Specialty lenses (like torics) can be expensive. I can say, however, that if you take care of your lenses by removing them at night and keeping them away from dust, etc, you can get much longer than 2 weeks out of a pair. I'm just now on my last pair of a 1 year supply - 4 years after I bought them. Unless you're really hard on lenses, you can expect to get at least twice the time out of them as they say, sometimes longer. I do NOT recommend wearing them overnight, as many of my friends do. It's hard on both your eyes and the lenses. Think of overnight removal as the maintenance that keeps both in prime condition.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks so much for the input! And yeah, I wasn't planning on wearing them overnight.. It just seems like a waste to me since you're not looking at anything and they can get worn down etc. but thanks! This was very helpful :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I've had glasses since grade 3 I wore them all the time and actually like the way they look on people but because of sports and other activities in grade 8 I started getting contacts and have worn them ever since. I'll give pros and cons of both

Pros of contacts- winter time you never have the fog up, you can jump in a lake and still see everything, everything is always clear and you never have to clean them, playing sports or anything like that you don't have to worry about breaking them. Pros on glasses- you don't have to pay every year for them, they put style to your face, you don't need to worry about them at night you just fall asleep.

Cons is basically the pros for each switched Hahahaha

For me I buy both it lets my contacts last longer and so I don't have to buy as many in a year and glasses gives some outfits cool style.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks so much for taking the time to give me a detailed answer!! Yeah, if I get contacts I'll still use my old glasses to make them last longer etc. thanks a ton though! :)

• You're welcome! I'm happy to help!!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• Girls look really, really cute in small framed glasses. Especially black rimmed cats eye glasses.

I prefer contacts for myself though. Except I have to wear glasses whenever I'm home, because I'm always losing my contacts and they're impossible to find.

1|0
    1|0
  • I changed in my mid 20's, and now use daily disposable contacts costing about a Euro a day, but I really, really, appreciate the lack of agony involved in not putting lenses I forgot to rinse the hydrogen peroxide off into my eyes (that hurt!). Apparently, the cleaning systems have improved, and there will be cheaper solutions. Do your eyes still change over time? If so, the glasses are also an ongoing expense.

1|0
    0|0
    • That's a good point! But my prescription has been pretty steady over the past few years

• I've always worn glasses, since about age 10. So I don't have experience with contacts.
    But I guess that apart from nothing visible on your nose there are more possible complications from contacts than glasses...
    And contacts would also require more maintenance to eye and lenses.
    So for me, glasses it is and glasses it will continue to be :D

1|0
    0|0
  • Contacts are great if you play sports or do active things... and when it's raining at least you don't have to wipe them off... I've worn 2 types of contacts... soft lenses and rigid gas permeable lenses (hard lenses)... the hard lenses are for if you have strong astigmatism... but they are harder to get used to... and you only get one pair but that one pair can last for years and years... whereas soft ones are like monthly...

1|0
    0|0
  • I think glasses are easier tough.. Contacts you always have to put it on and take it out.. Im sure id finger my eye by accident everytime i did it..πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚..

Id take the glasses

1|0
    0|0
  • I wear contacts for 70% of my day either visual aids or for vanity purposes ie crazy colours etc.

Otherwise wearing glasses is fine but I always knock them on my big dumb head.

1|0
    0|0
  • I used to wear contacts because I thought glasses wouldn't look good, but I kept falling asleep and forgetting to take them out and poking myself in the eyes whenever I tried putting them back in.

So, in the end I gave up and decided wearing glasses would be less of a pain to take off and put back on.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've worn glasses all my life and never contacts. My sister on the other hand wore glasses for a few years, switched to contacts, wore those for about a year and now she wears neither. She says she dosent need them and that the eye doctors are just wrong. But I think she prefers contacts.

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer contacts. I can see better with those instead of glasses. I don't think that glasses have a negative stigma as they once did. Long as you don't have those nerdy ones on purpose... Seems like everybody I know of has eye issues. I do notice that women will notice more without the glasses on

0|0
    0|0
  • hi I have been using glasses for more than 20 yrsI find wearing them better than contacts.. it's always a personal choice.. u have to be very disciplined.. always be careful to keep it out at night.. maintainnence is a bit tough.. then as u mentioned sunglasses needs contacts

0|0
    0|0
  • Glasses pls
    A girl with glasses look so sexy. Maybe I like women for the smartness but the contacts just take out that look and give something different.

0|0
    0|0
  • with glasses you can change different styles and some people look better with glasses also they're a lot easier to put on and take off

0|0
    0|0
  • Contacts are way better

0|0
    0|0
  • i prefer glasses and non visible eye contact

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• I wore glasses my whole life until one day I just... stopped.
    Literally have not worn either glasses or contacts for going on 7 years now. My eyes have adjusted to it as weird as that sounds.

I definitely prefer myself without glasses, and get many more compliments now than before, so I'd suggest contacts if you can't do what I did! πŸ˜‚

1|0
    0|0
    • you would look cute in glasses

• Oh huh! You can still see though?

But yeah people notice RIGHT AWAY when I'm not wearing glasses lmao I guess I just look totally different without them or something haha

• I like contacts so much more than glasses. I see better through them and they fit me more than glasses. I play a sport and I workout a lot so it's kind of necessary for me to wear contacts. However, contacts aren't really healthy when they're worn all the time since they cause dryness. So it's good to occasionally take breaks from them.

1|0
    0|0
    • Ah yeah that's certainly true! I'm not that athletic so that specific issue hasn't been a problem with me.. But the dryness part of it definitely could happen.

• I wore glasses until 3 years ago, because I didn't want to. Now I use neither.
    My brother has worn glasses all his life. In fall, he wanted to get contacts, but it was a waste of money- he got too frustrated

1|0
    0|0
  • I think glasses are cute on people. I love glasses on others. My vision doesn't require them on myself though :)

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks! Yeah glasses are definitely the more stylish one! :)

• i do both. i would never wear contacts 24/7 tho bc they aren't the best for your eyes.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't use any

0|0
    1|0
  • glasses

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes