What's your opinion on contacts vs. glasses?

I've worn glasses all of my life but have started considering wearing contacts. It'd be nice to be able to not have my face masked with my glasses all the time and to be able to wear sunglasses and actually see properly out of them. But price plays a big part in this.. I don't want to pay too much for contacts.. As contacts are an ongoing expense.. And glasses would be a one time purchase (of about $250 for the frames that I've been considering)... And I can't really tell how much the contacts will cost me as of right now.. I don't have any problems with touching my eye so I probably won't have trouble putting the contacts in etc. but are they worth it? What's been your experience with contacts and glasses? As of now, I'm actually probably leaning more towards just ordering the frames and being done with it all... Since with glasses I could just throw them on and start my day whereas contacts take a second to put on and take off every day.

Nevertheless! What's been your experience with both or either? And what's your advice?

815

Most Helpful Guy

• I started wearing glasses when I was about 5 years old, so glasses just became part of my life. About 4 years ago, I decided to try soft contact lenses. I'll never go back to frames unless I have to. There is so much more freedom with contact lenses - no scratched lenses, no fogged lenses, no glasses flying off your face if you receive an impact or turn too quickly, new styling options, the list goes on.

I think the experience greatly depends upon what type of contact lenses you require and can wear. I have to wear toric lenses, so they're more expensive. I am, however, able to wear Air Optix, which apparently many people cannot (including my sister and my eye doctor). These lenses are wonderful, and I've never had any problems with eye stress, irritation, or any problems other wearers have. I can wear them all day, and very often, I'll realize I've gone to bed without removing them, which I then do. But I've never had a time when I had to remove them due to long wear. They're as if I weren't wearing lenses at all.

As far as cost, again, it depends upon what you'll need. Specialty lenses (like torics) can be expensive. I can say, however, that if you take care of your lenses by removing them at night and keeping them away from dust, etc, you can get much longer than 2 weeks out of a pair. I'm just now on my last pair of a 1 year supply - 4 years after I bought them. Unless you're really hard on lenses, you can expect to get at least twice the time out of them as they say, sometimes longer. I do NOT recommend wearing them overnight, as many of my friends do. It's hard on both your eyes and the lenses. Think of overnight removal as the maintenance that keeps both in prime condition.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

• Thanks so much for the input! And yeah, I wasn't planning on wearing them overnight.. It just seems like a waste to me since you're not looking at anything and they can get worn down etc. but thanks! This was very helpful :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I've had glasses since grade 3 I wore them all the time and actually like the way they look on people but because of sports and other activities in grade 8 I started getting contacts and have worn them ever since. I'll give pros and cons of both

Pros of contacts- winter time you never have the fog up, you can jump in a lake and still see everything, everything is always clear and you never have to clean them, playing sports or anything like that you don't have to worry about breaking them. Pros on glasses- you don't have to pay every year for them, they put style to your face, you don't need to worry about them at night you just fall asleep.

Cons is basically the pros for each switched Hahahaha

For me I buy both it lets my contacts last longer and so I don't have to buy as many in a year and glasses gives some outfits cool style.

• Thanks so much for taking the time to give me a detailed answer!! Yeah, if I get contacts I'll still use my old glasses to make them last longer etc. thanks a ton though! :)

• You're welcome! I'm happy to help!!