My friend dislikes my hairstyle... what should I do?

I originally had a pixie cut for a year, but got tired of it and got box braids (some people may know them as Poetic Justice or Cyber Goth braids; think Zoe Kravitz). I personally like them and that's what matters, but I sent a pic to my friend (I was trying on gowns and needed her opinion on the dress; forgot that she hadn't seen my hair yet) and she took a long time to text back. When she did she was like "your hair... what?" And texted "?" And texted "What is that?" I understand that she knows little to nothing about Caribbean hair (she's white, I'm Jamaican), and I can't force her to like it or anything, but I just feel that there was a better way to express. She's gone through not-so-good looks and I never said "What is that". What should I do?

2011

Most Helpful Guy

• Raise Above The Hate Nefertiti.
    Your friend doesn't have to like your hairstyle she just found it strange and didn't know what to say, you don't have to explain it she'll come around.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well... she was a bit rude...

You keep your hairstyle if YOU like it. And it sounds like you do, so there ya go.
    Tell her she hurt your feelings by sending that rude text. It's also uneducated as well...
    Make her understand that was not right. That's all you can do.

What Guys Said 10

• If you like it, let her know and just tell her it will take some getting used to. It's your hair and her opinion can't define what you do and do not in terms of hair and clothing.

• Don't do anything at all. Its your hair and if you like that hairstyle then keep it. No matter what you wear/style yourself, you're bound to displease other people so might as well just style yourself how you like.

• Get better friends

• As long as you like it and are comfortable with it that's all that matters.

• Love Jamacian culture for your information, lovely people and a lovely place. She might just asking what hairstyle it is?

• Thanks! Too sweet.
      But no, I forgot to mention that I explained to her what that hairstyle was and how it's done, and after a while of no responding she just said "... oh."

• Honestly don't know maybe suprised of your choice?

• Tell her what you wrote here. I'm married to a Jamaican. I could write a book titles Trials and Tribulations of Black Women and Their Hair.

• Nothing. You shouldn't care what they think - be your own person.

• whoop her ass

• Ignore her. Do you.

• Just keep the hair that you feel comfortable with no matter what people tell you

What Girls Said 19

• She's rude.. Box braids are lovely and a good protective style for your natural hair. Tell her to piss off, you didn't ask for her opinion on the hair.. Your hair is poppin' already 😝

• "I personally like them and that's what matters"
    Then why worry about what she thinks then? I went natural and my boyfriend says he likes it's straight but I really like my curls and fro now. If she's not always negatively saying things about your hair just don't worry about it. You've dislike hers before and now she doesn't really like yours. No big deal.

• Just ignore it. If you like your hair then that's all that matters. Some people make comments when they aren't asked for their opinion, so don't take her remark to heart

• Wow what a shitty friend. Tell her she's being a shitty friend! I would. I love braids on others personally but even if I didn't I wouldn't be such a bitch about something that didn't concern me.

• Hey it's your choice not there do not let them judge you if you do you are letting them take over your life

• If you like it that's all that matters its a versatile do, like you said she's not familiar with stuff like that so to speak lol so she wouldn't understand. Next time she has a style you don't like I would let it be known lol

• Nothing. Friends can disagree on whether your hair looks good and still stay friends.

• have you thought that she's actually CURIOUS about the hairstyle rather then not a fan of it? text her and ask what she thinks of it if you want to be sure...

• Critisize hers

• You're friend sounds jealous if not she's rude.

• I bet your braids are beautiful... I love box braids.
    You can't change your friend's mind, she'll get used to the idea of braids.

• You should to whatever you want. If you like and feel good in that hair style - that is all that matters. If she is a real friend she will support you. Although she might not like them, but it's her duty as a friend to support you.

• Tell them to go screw themselves and shave their head, then I'm sure they'll wish they had your haircut.

• Nothing. It's your hair. You like it, you keep it. She doesn't like it, cool. Do what makes you happy.

• Explain to her that you like it and you never said anything about her raggedy little hair dos.

• Be yourself. Your friend shouldn't be rude about it though

• be yourself and what u like?

• if you like it just do it

• Who care what she likes? You like it, so wear it with pride.