How do I get over my fear of looking good?

It sounds really odd; and I denied it until I just decided to be honest with myself.

I usually dress kind of bummy (unkempt hair; not cute unkempt, homeless unkempt), sweatshirts that my brother owned until he grew out of them, leggings and old Converse. And I honestly don't like looking like that. It makes me feel inferior, embarrassed if I especially see someone that I know in public. But I can't get out of the rut without "fighting" myself.

I made a vow this school year to look more groomed and show off my style (strangely, I love fashion). I just got my nails done in a light/natural pink color, and some waxing, and I honestly think that I look 100x better without makeup and still look like myself, but healthier (my "makeup" is just a tinted lip balm for rosy lips and brushing my eyebrows). I also got my hair done in this edgy look that I always wanted but was too afraid/insecure to get. I'm really into the natural look, so my makeup is minimal, my nails understated and my hair is it's natural color just shiny/healthy. But now that I'm sitting here, a part of me says "Don't dress up/You're going to look fake/you look vain/etc". This has happened before and I'll just revert to wearing ugly clothes, etc.

32

Most Helpful Guy

• If people are going to talk smack about you changing just ignore them. People are always going to judge us so might as well just feel good about ourselves/what we wear.

Most Helpful Girl

• An idea comes to my mind... Why don't you do it slowly? Over a long period of time, so it won't be a sudden change that people will notice.

• I am!
      I started with keeping clear skin... then nails, I started eyebrows/faint lip tint a year ago. And either people don't notice or they do, but can't put their finger on what it is. But out of nowhere I'll think negatively about it and all of a sudden will relapse.

• I wish I could help you!