How do I get over my fear of looking good?

It sounds really odd; and I denied it until I just decided to be honest with myself.

I usually dress kind of bummy (unkempt hair; not cute unkempt, homeless unkempt), sweatshirts that my brother owned until he grew out of them, leggings and old Converse. And I honestly don't like looking like that. It makes me feel inferior, embarrassed if I especially see someone that I know in public. But I can't get out of the rut without "fighting" myself.

I made a vow this school year to look more groomed and show off my style (strangely, I love fashion). I just got my nails done in a light/natural pink color, and some waxing, and I honestly think that I look 100x better without makeup and still look like myself, but healthier (my "makeup" is just a tinted lip balm for rosy lips and brushing my eyebrows). I also got my hair done in this edgy look that I always wanted but was too afraid/insecure to get. I'm really into the natural look, so my makeup is minimal, my nails understated and my hair is it's natural color just shiny/healthy. But now that I'm sitting here, a part of me says "Don't dress up/You're going to look fake/you look vain/etc". This has happened before and I'll just revert to wearing ugly clothes, etc.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• If people are going to talk smack about you changing just ignore them. People are always going to judge us so might as well just feel good about ourselves/what we wear.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• An idea comes to my mind... Why don't you do it slowly? Over a long period of time, so it won't be a sudden change that people will notice.

1|0
    0|0
    • I am!
      I started with keeping clear skin... then nails, I started eyebrows/faint lip tint a year ago. And either people don't notice or they do, but can't put their finger on what it is. But out of nowhere I'll think negatively about it and all of a sudden will relapse.

• I wish I could help you!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• i understand what u saying. it is not wrong to dress well. yes, people will look, but will admire you, they will not think that dressing well is not for you. you deserve dressing well.

0|0
    0|0
    • i was like that at some point cause i was thinking if i dress well, other people will think: "look at that guy trying to be someone he is not" cause i was thinking i not good enough to dress well. but that is bullshit, it is just in your head.

What Girls Said 2

• why do you have the fear of not looking good. you are good as you are because Nature has made you like that & there will be some one who will love and like you. Just wear some boy kind a stuff and clothes :P

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't understand that? Why do you have a fear of looking good? No one is going to judge you negatively for wanting to improve yourself.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes