Would you get offended, if your SO asked you to change something in your appearance?

For example if they said "You should cut/color your hair." or "You'd look better if you bought these and that kind of clothes". Would you take it as a suggestion or would you feel insecure or offended? Where does the line go between helpful suggestions and offensive advice?

HOX! I'm not talking about "You should lose weight" or "you should get a nose job" type of things, but mostly style choices.

• Yes, I would get offended.
  • No, I wouldn't get offended.
  • Depends on what they said.
    Vote C
  • Other, please elaborate.
    Vote D

1323

Most Helpful Guy

• Well it depends on the person who suggests me making these changes (mostly my mom says for my hair and I am ok with that.

But for clothing I cannot change my style just because someone didn't like my clothes because the style shows my likes and perception of art and energy (for example colour combinations)(style combinations: pants/shoes etc how well they look together)

For the things about body it could hurt If I had really ugly nose/chin and people said you need a nose/chin job hopefully I think my nose/chin are ok and it is enough for me looking myself in the mirror and decide whether I need or not

I think there is nothing else than bad looking nose and chin make someone feel insecure or offended.

But anyway all people knows that noone should feel uncomfortable or offended because of their genes that they couldn't choose.

I think clothing and hair style something shows who you are so just get some opinions but always do what you wanna do

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends... babe, I love it when you wear those cute shorter skirts instead of those long ones that go to the floor... or babe, you look like an old hag in those floor length skirts. You should dress your age and try to look sexier for me.

The former, okay, I might try it. The latter, f--k you dude.

What Guys Said 22

• Depending on what they said, it could be a friendly suggestion, but they should like you as you are. To say, such 7 such would look cute on you could be a friendly compliment, but to say you'd look better in or you should wear this instead, I'd be tempted to say, OK, so i don't look good enough? Then go find someone who does!

• Open and honest lines of communications. Ask away!!!

• I don't think I would be offended really, as I've never been interested in being stylish and all that. Even if I disagree with their suggestions, I doubt I would be offended as I understand that it's just their personal opinion and they are fully entitled to have it.

• i wouldn't become offended. I might end up playing with her over what me changing for her might be worth to her. If i do this for you. what do i get from you.

• It really depends on what they said, and how they said it. For example, if my girlfriend said "You'd look cute in that shirt" or something like that, I would be happy to get that shirt. BUT if she says something negative about my style first before recommending a new one, I'd probably be slightly offended.

• Depends on how they said it.

"Babe, this color/shirt/pants would look great on you"

"You should were these"

Two similar suggestions with two entirely different meanings and how they come iff.

• No, I wouldn't get offended if they use the "you should" formula. One thing is suggesting, one thing is obliging.
    Of course if that's just a passive aggressive behaviour that will lead to a meltdown once I answer "no" then fuck you miss, but if they are genuine and will accept a negation for answer then I see no problem.

• "Omfg, you look like such a fucking sloth" vs "Hey, I don't think you should be wearing that to such an occassion"

• not offensive as long as not "i don't like your nose" or something. if i can't change it then you gotta accept it and it's offensive. "hey babe you look better in a blue shirt" is not offensive

• doesn't bother me at all. what used to bother me about my ex though was that she'd give suggestions and i'd either do them or ignore them. but if I gave her a suggestion then she'd get angry and say i couldn't change her 😂

• No if its constructive. I mean, I may get a little offended, but would probably take the feedback and try to improve

• Depend what she asked from me

• Depends on what they said.

• if it deals with weight, I dont think there's anything wrong with giving your girlfriend that encouragement to workout

• I would do anything for my girl. I won't really take an offense. As long as it comes as a suggestion and not as a compulsion. But that's the great part, knowing my girlfriend she won't really be unreasonable

• I'd like my girlfriend asking me to change something but she never does!

• No I wouldn't get offended. Any little tips to make me more attractive is welcome.

• Not if I look like a fool an they want me to look average

• no I encourage it. I'm not the one who has to look at me every day.

• I wouldn't get offended just take it as a suggestion. it's my choice wether I follow it or not

• Who tf is they?

• No I'll take as advice. But at the end of the day we do what we want

What Girls Said 12

• It wouldn't offend me at all. If I didn't agree I would just say "I appreciate your opinion but I prefer *insert style choice here.*" I'm never bothered by my partner offering his opinions or suggestions. I know he would never try to force me to look a certain way. If he were to suggest anything, it would likely only be because he is trying to be helpful. I still have the final choice to say "no" if I don't like the suggestion, it's not a big deal or something worth arguing over.

• I'd probably be offended if they meant any of it seriously. Not because like "OMG it's such a big thing to change!" But because it would be... Upsetting that someone In my like other than me thought that it was appropriate to say something like that.

If I ASK that's one thing but for them to just come out and be like "I know how to dress you better than you do. Do what I want instead of what you want" would be totally unacceptable.

• It depends on how they put it/impose it. If I am say, thinking of changing my hair, or going clothes shopping, and they suggest something (my boyfriend requested I go back to blonde as an option of when I was planning on changing my hair, for example) that's 100% fine. But if they DEMAND I change something, or they're demeaning or rude about it, they can fuck off.

• If my boyfriend suggested a new hairstyle/ outfit/or make up that he thought would go well with my features I'd smile & somewhat seriously consider it. If he tried to tell me that I look dull/unattractive so I need to change my weight, dye my hair, change my style, etc. I'd be pissed and watching to see if he has a habit of insulting me.

I'm interested in suggestions but don't talk to me like I'm not good enough.

• I like when my boyfriend picks things by saying he thinks I'd look really cute/sexy/hot in an outfit. If he told me my clothes suck or I don't know how to dress myself well, I might have to hurt him. I'm a big girl. I know how to dress. You can make suggestions, but don't suggest I need you to lay out my clothes for me like I'm a three year old.

• No, I'd appreciate it if he speaks his mind. Very attractive.

• I wouldn't colour my hair. I like it how it is.
    I do keep it shorter then I normally do for my girlfriend though.

• Well right now I wish my boyfriend gives me suggestions for my hair.
    As for fashion style, if his choices make me look and feel prettier, I'm fine with that. If they don't and he keeps insisting, I'd leave.

• I would. They should love me for who I am and all that I am. It's 100% okay for them to have an opinion, but they shouldn't by any means try to control my way of life. I'm not living this life to please others. I'm all about the mutual love and respect.

• it would depend on what they said

• No and I wouldn't listen.

• If they were polite about it, no.