Acne medication?

I been using this 3 step acne kit for a week and my face is getting dry and some places are peeling. I'm using cera ve cream for the dryness but I wanna know if the drying out my skin a good sign? Does this mean it's working and drying out the pimples? Or is drying out not Good?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a complicated balance. Here's the deal. Your skin produces oily sebum in order to moisturize your skin. The sebum can sometimes become clogged causing pimples. So what a lot of acne medications will do is dry out the skin, which in turn removes the clogged sebum which is causing the pimples. Problem with that is, now your skin is dry, so your body produces more sebum in order to try to lubricate it and in turn the sebum becomes clogged again and it's an ongoing cycle.

So like you've done, you want to break the cycle by moisturizing with a non oil based moisturizer, therefore the skin won't be dry and therefore you won't produce as much sebum.

I'm not expert, but that's my rough take on it. If it doesn't improve, I strongly recommend going to a doctor and getting a prescription for some antibiotics. Something like minocycline, which will remove the acne causing bacteria from the skin.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh my god NO. That's a BAD sign. Your skin is WAY too dry.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• find a good solution for you. lots of this comes down to your specific body.

benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are the medical ingredients that are crucial. sometimes only one is used while together they work best

1|0
    0|0
  • forget medication and acne kits. I would recommend what i did. i had bad acne and went swimming quite regulary. chlorine cleans your skin. i would also recommend taking vitamin and mineral supplements. I used to have water flavouring sachets that had minerals in it. within a week i saw an improvment.

try it. hope it helps.

0|0
    1|0
  • No medication, wait till puberty is over.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Drying means it is working, but you need to keep moisturising religiously, or it will ruin your skin.

0|0
    0|0
  • No idea. I've never had acne.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes