Is beauty really subjective?

Is it true that if you have two girls standing next to each other, some people will find one girl more attractive than the other, or vise versa? Or can beauty standards be objective sometimes?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. Some of the women who pass for beautiful in movies, on tv, or other celebrities leave me cold. My idea of beauty is a young Ann Margaret. Check her out and you'll see what I mean. You don't find many women that beautiful in todays entertainment world.

0|0
    0|0
    • do you think that victoria secret models are "hot"?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends on what type of beauty you are talking about. In terms of outer beauty or appearance, I think that is subjective as people have different things that appeal to them and depending on what they find 'attractive' they will be drawn towards that person. However, i think that beauty becomes objective when talking about inner beauty. I think if a person sees another person do a really lovely thing, such as helping an elderly person carry their heavy grocery bags, open the door for another person or things like picking up rubbish and throwing it in the bin, we can all agree that that person is somewhat attractive and then we translate this into beauty.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• im assuming that a majority of people would agree that a fit/normal girl is way more attractive than an obese one. so perhaps, there are some objective standards. id have to invest money on a scientific study to answer this

0|0
    0|0
    • I know some guys who are into super big women and would never date a girl unless she was obese lol.

• When guys look at photographs there is wide agreement on 10 point scale ratings that they give to women +/- 1 point but only if you compare apples to apples as in faces to faces. It gets more complicated if you add body parts since one guy may like this part more than another guy. Yo can call the face rating 'objective' but it's not really. If we look at what was considered beautiful 100 years ago most guys would puke.

Also some people look great in pictures but meh in person. While others look meh in pics but great in person.

Personalities matter to many guys (more so the older a guy is)... getting back to your question. A woman who is a 5 (in pictures) with a confident friendly attitude will be more beautiful in person than the woman who looks like a 10 (in pictures) but is a cold fish. The guys will not even be conscious of the '5' rating and just perceive the friendly one as a 8 and the cold fish as a 5 or something.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some aspects of beauty are objective, but a lot is subjective.

1|0
    0|0
  • Totally

0|0
    0|0
  • completely subjective.

0|0
    0|0
  • part of the itty bitty titty committee

0|0
    0|0
  • People's opinions vary a little

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• A common saying is "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," which means beauty doesn't exist on its own but is created by observers. That famous quote can help you remember that a beholder is someone who sees or otherwise experiences things, becoming aware of them. To be a beholder, you have to pay attention. Different beholders might take in different aspects of the same event, like witnesses to a crime.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes