Is it bad that I wear makeup whenever I leave the house because of my acne?

I'm so self conscious and I can't deal with people staring at my face. Is there any tips people may have on what I can do to prevent my acne from getting worse with makeup?

Also I can't do anything to get rid of it because it's hormonal, so it comes and goes as it pleases.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I have a feeling you know how to take care of your face, and that make up will only clog it up more. You got all that on lock down, you just gotta learn to be comfortable with these things though. If you wanna wear make up do it, but just take a few times to go out buck bare, it doesn't have to rule your life. That's my opinion anyways

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Honey, I feel you. I had the same exact problem when I was younger & would NEVER leave the house without at least foundation on. I barley get acne now, & when I do (around that time of the month), I'll get a temporary dark spot. But I don't even care anymore I go without makeup all the the time.

Do you have visible pimples, or dark spots? Or both? I've had years of figuring out this skincare thing lol.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I've got dark spots, white spots, and visible pimples :( ... I'm glad someone understands!

• I'm late to responding haha. But what works for me is using the Clean & Clear Morning Burst facial wash (I sometimes like to let it sit on my face for a bit). The African Black Soap Bar from Shea Moisture worked good too... and it's cheap lol. To exfoliate, i always use baking soda every other day or few days!!! It's super cheap & it helps fade the appearance of dark spots!! And for moisturizing I LOVE Ponds dark spot correcting cream & coconut oil! Honestly for me, exfoliating & moisturizing is KEY to get a good skin tone & to help with marks. Only use coconut when you've washed your face at night & you're about to go to sleep by the way.

• Remember, those products worked for me, but every face is different. Also, hormonal factors may have to do with it as well, depending on your age.

Hope this heped!!! Because trust me, girl I feel you. The struggle was real!!! I had a lot more tips & tricks to say but it was too long to send :( but feel free to message me if you'd like! No judgement here ❤

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• No but i would suggest opting for a more permanent solution.

2|1
    0|0
  • Yes and no, you need to scrub your face, when you're sweaty wipe out away, throughout the day wipe your face off

0|0
    0|0
  • Cold water showers and just cold water in general may help. And no its not bad. Most of us go through that at your age. It should pass.

0|0
    0|0
  • No... ur just a little worried about how u look

0|0
    0|0
  • Bad for ur skin

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• Well... it's definitely bad for your acne problem... it only makes it worse!

2|0
    0|0
    • Yes I know, but I could never go in public without makeup, then people would see how bad my acne is! I could never deal with that.. 😞

• Show All
    • No, I don't mean that you have acne because of your bad skin care, I mean your skin will get better sooner if you don't clog your pores...
      Yeah, of course it's from all the raging teenage hormones. It happens a lot. It's natural.

• Thank you for the help, and you're right. I'll try to let my skin breathe more often, especially when I'm at home and not in public.

• I completely understand wanting to hide your acne to feel more confident. So don't feel bad about wearing makeup even if it might be a bit bothersome to have to put it on every time before going out.
    Your makeup won't make your acne worse if:
    - You're using products that are designed for your skin type
    - You wash your face carefully and make sure there's no leftover makeup on your face before going to bed
    - The products you use to wash your face with are also designed for your skin type
    - You regularly (at least once a week) wash or cleanse any sponges or makeup brushes that you use
    - If you apply your makeup with your fingers, always make sure to wash your hands before you start

That's it. Basically it's a myth that makeup makes your skin worse. As long as you use the right products and use common sense when it comes to hygiene, it won't negatively affect the condition of your skin. Some makeup is even designed to help your skin by being extra moisturizing or by containing sfp and so on.
    Makeup just has a bad rep because some people choose products that aren't right for them, and are sloppy when it comes to taking it off at night. Like no wonder you wake up with massive zits on your face if you don't wash your makeup off - your pillow probably has accumulated lots of shit that you keep rubbing your face in every night!

2|0
    0|0
    • Spf*
      Also you could go to the doctor and ask them if you could get on some sort of treatment plan for acne, such as isotretinoin.

• I am in your shoes haha. There is no shame in doing what makes you comfortable. Use makeup when you like, go without it one day if that is what you want. I never leave the house without foundation because if my acne.

1|0
    0|0
  • Start working on the problem which is your acne. Wash your face when you wake up and right before you go to bed. Also keep it moisturize and keep your body hydrated. Drink lots of water. I would recommend using a BB cream. They seem to be less harsh on the skin, plus it's light and natural coverage. It doesn't make your acne look as if it isn't there, but it most defiantly helps to conceal it.

0|0
    0|0
  • As much as a make-up fan I am I say you should wear it if you have a bad acne problem. Instead of spending the money on make-up use it on skincare products that'll combat the acne instead.

0|0
    0|0
  • See a dermatologist.
    Always wash your face.
    Only wear makeup on spots that really need it.
    You'll be fine, lots of teens get bad acne so don't sweat it 👍🏻

0|0
    0|0
  • always remove all your makeup and use products that doesn't cloge pores that much

0|0
    0|0
  • of course not, you do you

1|0
    0|0
  • No... Girl I do it too!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes