Are white girls wearing box braids cultural appropriation?

I've been hearing this a lot lately and wanted to hear other opinions on it.
  • Yes it is cultural appropriation
  • Nope it's just a hair style

33

Most Helpful Guy

• All cultures have appropriated things from other cultures. To suggest otherwise would be naive. The only way to avoid cultural appropriation is segregation. Cultural appropriation is inevitable when cultures come together, it is a consequence of diversity.

The real issue is whether something of cultural significance is appropriated in a positive manner, i. e. it is celebrated, or it is appropriated in a disrespectful manner. If one culture used another culture's religious text as toilet tissue then you could clearly say that it was disrespectful. To emulate a hairstyle is clearly far from disrespectul and could be said to be a celebration rather than a mockery.