Opinions on scarification?

Scarification involves scratching, etching, burning / branding, or superficially cutting designs, pictures, or words into the skin as a permanent body modification.Opinions on scarification??

114

Most Helpful Girl

• I mean, if it's something someone wants to do with there body, I think they should totally go for it. I think it is pretty cool to look at, but personally I wouldn't do it to my own body. Everyone is going to view this a different way, almost like tattoos. Some people hate em and some can't get enough. The burning, scratching and pain doesn't really make me cringe too much cuz if you think about it, tattoos are gigantic needles full of ink getting injected into your body, and in large amounts so your body can break down the ink. People still get tattoos. It's just a different form of body art and I think we should respect the people who are brave and willing enough to modify their body permanently. Especially because you probably can't remove this even if you wanted to, unlike a tattoo

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• Why would you pay someone to intentionally hurt you? I mean if it was against your will you would be against it, yet only because there is a cool design its fine? You would be paying hundreds of dollars to burn yourself, destroy your skin forever, and get a design that only means something to yourself.

Think about how this will effect your jobs, people you interact with, your daily life. I would assume most people wouldn't understand, and question you about it, and would you be ready to be mocked for burning yourself? Also, employers might not take well to people who self mutilate. Same with some women, etc. You are really limiting yourself with these things, be jobs, women, and people you meet in every day life.

Then comes the purpose, no one needs this. People just want it. So why do you want this? I am not saying you do personally, however the person in subject should know why. I am not sure there is any good reason to burn yourself.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't say it is a good decision.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • No one needs a big car or a big TV or two wardrobes full of clothes, but we don't question them why they spent their money on that stuff.

• @Nahliability We do question them so they can think about it. Questions help people get new ideas and address personal blind spots, I hope someone would acknowledge my blind spots.

We can question them, but can't force them to do anything since it is their choice. Questioning is just our opinion and it is up to the person to ultimately choose. They are free to make the choice but they aren't free from the consequences there of. Don't you think it is fair I warn people about the consequences of their actions? Or should I let people wonder aimlessly?