What can I do about my nails?

Every single time my nails grow out my thumbnails always crack so low on the bed I can't trim them. This is literally every month and it's driving me nuts! What can I do about my nails?Do you all have any suggestions for what to do with them until they grow out and/or how to help them break less?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Tear a small piece of tea bag (don't cut it, tearing it will make it stronger,) then paint your nail with clear varnish, put a small piece of tea bag over the crack, let it dry and then do one or two coats over that. :)

This is what the fancy Nail techs do, except they use some other nonsense that costs way more.

Good luck! :)

1|0
    0|0
    • Also, you could put a teaspoon of gelatin in your morning coffee.. (just don't leave it to too long or it'll go weird) The gelatin will help your hair and nails grow stronger and be healthier. :)

• Show All
    • Lol thanks for confirming

• Good luck. :)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• If it always happens then you might be deficient in some sort of vitamin, try looking into it. Just saying calcium and drinking more milk is not really it, there's other sources of calcium too.
    '' In TCM, pale nails is said to be caused by β€œblood deficiency,” which isn't always identical to anemia but certainly can be. Anemia can cause fatigue, weakness, poor circulation, frequent bruising, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat and cognitive issues. ''
    Im no doctor but just look into it.

1|0
    0|0
  • There are the clear nail hardenning polishes might help but it would require removing the hang nail and remembering to add the polish. Also a major look at what your eating. As your diet is likely playing a huge role along with reducing STRESS. As its amazing but stress releases HUGE amounts of natural toxins that are almost as bad as most of the illegal drugs that are out there.

Stress can easily effect: Hair, finger and toe nails, and even skin appearances.

1|0
    0|0
  • Check these out! An interesting alternative to growing your own nails out.
    www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

1|0
    0|0
  • Here is supplement called Hair, Skin, Nails suppose to be good for Nails that break easy. You may have a deficiency of some kind.

www.naturemade.com/.../hair-skin-and-nails

1|0
    0|0
  • Drink milk. Or take calcium pills with vit d in them. Whats good for your bones is good for your nails.

1|0
    0|0
    • I already do XD

• Then keep your nails short mama. Thats all i got for ya.

You can also watch how and where you place your thumb nails, but that's hard to do... unless you happen to be crazy observant.

• Riiiiiight?

• apply a invisible coating they sell... lol not sure what it is but it protects the nail

1|0
    0|0
    • That's a good idea but things like topcoats etc... are too thin to hold the nail together and when you add too many layers it gets brittle and doesn't let your nail bend and cracks it even more

• mmm interesting... I would try that and see if you have any type of deficiency...
      I think you probably do blood work here n there.. but if not would be a good idea

• Have you ever had your thyroid checked or your vitamin D levels?

1|0
    0|0
    • I do have hypothyroidism and my D is usually borderline but I'm taking supplements for both.

• Show All
    • Yes my grandmother had it and it evidently runs in my family. I have it, my brother has it, my sister, my niece, my nephew also has it too.

• How frustrating for you!

• why dont you cut them? doesn't long nails bother you?

1|0
    0|0
  • Try to not let them crack. That simple.

1|0
    1|0
  • Remove your nails entirely

0|0
    3|0
  • You can use Argan oil!

1|1
    0|0
  • wear gloves all the time

1|0
    0|0
  • sharpen them like a cat's nail <3

0|0
    0|0
  • Get a manicure

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 12

• Mine used to be pretty weak and crack as soon as they'd get to a certain length.
    I found being more diligent with my multivitamin and using gel polish has strengthened them and they rarely break now even when they don't have polish on.

1|0
    0|0
    • Did you find that the gel dried them out more or not so much?

• Show All
    • I haven't, I could see how it could help though. I just put a drop on each nail, rub it in then rub the rest on my hands until they don't feel oily

• Cool! Ty for the tips!

• You can use superglue or nail glue to hold it together. If you're worried about how it looks just put a fake nail on that one. As for supplements for good nail growth take biotin they sell it everywhere in the vitamin aisle. I take it myself and my nails have gotten stronger and grow faster. Most people take 10,000mcg and take it with food it absorbs better that way.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well you can use special nail polish for this case. Also you can do nail baths: you should lightly warm up the olive oil and keep your nail in them for 15min daily, you can also add drop of lemon juice and as well once in few months make gel nails which helps with growing and strengthen your nails

1|0
    0|0
  • You're nails are probably too dry. You can try lotion and not exposing your nails to water too often.

1|0
    0|0
    • I moisturize a lot and I still have this issue :c Do you have any other tips? Sorry

• Drinking a lot of water could help. And I heard nail polish drys them out so avoid that.

• Take Biotin and vitamin d! Even with my hypothyroidism it helps. Also! Put coconut oil with a tiny drop of tea tree oil on your nails. It really helped me.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thank you so much for the advice! My hypothyroidism is to blame I think after what everyone has to say.

• I have no idea. The same thing happens to my thumb nails too. It's like that nail is more fragile than the rest or something.

1|0
    0|0
  • Drink more milk the extra calcium makes nails stronger. use glue on the cracks till they grow out

1|0
    0|0
  • Just keep them shorter than this, file them as well but do it properly look online to see example, also use clear coat on top

1|0
    0|0
  • take nail hair and skin pills... can't remember what to call them...

1|0
    0|0
  • Try applying nail Polish.

1|0
    0|0
    • Lol then I'd just crack my polish too XD

• Nope it won't. It ll actually strengthen your nails. Else start applying vitamin E oils or almond oil which will strengthen your nails

• I take biotin to support nail health :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Zinc

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes