Would you be offended or decide NOT to get a tattoo if the tattoo artist refused to copy someone else's tattoo on you?

Since it's an unspoken rule that copying other people's work on your body is unofficial stealing... many respectable tattoo artists won't do it.
They'd most likely suggest a variation on it that they created themselves... or use the pic you came with as inspiration...

Would this be something you'd find offensive and would you walk out or get the original work inspired by your desired tattoo?

• I'd be a little offended, but I'd be okay in the end. I'd let them tattoo the inspired version of the tattoo...
    17%(10)18%(15)Vote19%(5)
  • I'd be extremely offended and storm out!
    3%(2)6%(5)Vote11%(3)
  • I would never expect them to actually copy the exact tattoo. I'd love a variation on it!
    80%(46)76%(65)Vote70%(19)

Most Helpful Guy

• How about as a society we work on being less offended about so much petty stuff?
    The tattoo artist is in the right to refuse to copy another artists work. No one has a right to not be offended.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nah, I wouldn't expect them to do the exact tattoo. There are a bunch of tattoos I really like and want something similar to so I'd wanna take the tattoo with me but I'd know that the tattoo artist wouldn't wanna basically steal someone else's work so I'd be expecting them to do their own thing.

What Guys Said 13

• I don't want to get a tattoo, but if I ever wanted one and wanted a copy and the tattooer refused to do it, I would try to find another one who was willingly to do it or simply not getting one. I wouldn't be offended because it's not my problem if they takes their own business choices and doesn't get my money. People are free to choose many things in their business although they sometimes face consequences.

• I would just go find a new artist lol they are saying no to business and that's a dumb fucken thing to do

• First off, I would never, ever, get someone else's tattoo on me. That is all kinds of wrong and the most unoriginal, unexpressive, and impersonal thing you could do.

So no, I would not be offended. And good for them protecting others from people who would literally steal the uniqueness and personal art right of someone elses skin.

• Not offended, and I wouldn't expect them to be for or against making a copy. I'd respect their answer.

• I wouldn't be offended, but I wouldn't get someone else's tattoo on me. I mean unless a friend of mine died, and they had a tattoo that I wanted to get in memory of them. But that's a different situation

• For art it shouldn't be a direct copy, inspired is what you should be getting. For symbols, phrases or fonts you have a little more leniency in similarity.

• Not at all. I mean I wouldn't want someone elses tattoo in the first place

• No, but then I don't want a tattoo.

• I wouldn't mind at all! I'm paying for that artist's creativity. If I didn't like their variation on the design, I would go to another artist, but I would never be offended

• I wouldn't care, just find someone else willing to do it

• No I wouldn't, copying someone else's work is wrong.

• Provide credits on tattoo.

• Tattoos shouldn't be complex, or art. Only art on your own body should be done only if you are able to do on in it by yourself

What Girls Said 10

• My friend is a tattoo artist and I think he got offended when I got someone to finish what he had started but at that time he was touring the USA and I hadn't heard back from him in like 6 months. He went to big cities like San Francisco and New York as well as Florida. He was MIA for almost half a year so I got someone else to fill it in.

• My roommate wanted something exactly same from Okan Uckun. Okan Uckun is currently living in NYC but at that time he was located in Turkey. So There were 5 tattoo parlors in the town (trusted ones). He took the photo to all of them, and every single artist refused to do it. I would not want a generic tattoo or someone else's customized tattoo on my body firstly but if a brick falls down on my head and I want something i see on an artist's insta page, and if the tattoo artist i go to refuses to tattoo me, I would definitely respect more because he has integrity and respect to his colleague.

• I'd get my tattoo artist's idea on how to make a better version of the tattoo that I want. I don't want to be wearing a tattoo which someone already has.

• He's hired to do a job and that's it.

• I was the artist and went to a few people asking them to tat my image on me. And they didn't even make changes to the design they actually just told me that it wasn't possible. When I asked why they said the design was too complicated.
    Until I waited a few years later and found an amazing tattoo artist who loved my work and adapted it slightly to accommodate the shading involved.
    He claimed they were probably insulted because it was a great design and knew they'd f it up!
    I couldn't be happier with it.

• I'd be extremely offended and storm out! They're supposed to do what you ask them for. After all if I'm gonna pay them. Why can't they do the tattoo I want?
    I would just go away and go in another. Or find a trick who would force them to do the tattoo I want exactly the same.

• I would never imitate someone else's tattoo so there would be no so tuition for me to be offended by to begin with. Major props to the tattoo artists who refuse to help other's copy/imitate/plagiarize people's skin art.

• Nah. I can respect someone who refuses to compromise their morals like that regardless of monetary incentive. I wouldn't ask them to straight out copy someone else's work either.

• I wouldn't have to copy someone's idea anyway. I've drawn out my own tattoos.

• I wouldn't want to copy someone else's.