Is it ok to wear a denim jacket to a wedding?

My boyfriends mum is getting married next week, I have my outfit ready shown below and did a practice run for my hair and makeup and showed my boyfriend. He says that the denim jacket will make me look very out of place, that I should wear a cardigan. The only cardigans I have are black and will make it look like I'm going to a funeral in my opinion. The denim jacket isn't distressed or anything it is just a plain dark denim jacket that I'd only be wearing if I get cold...

Is it ok to wear a denim jacket to a wedding?

Updates:
I have opted for a cardigan and going to wear the jacket to lunch and dinner the day before the wedding

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No it's inappropriate people are in tuxes dresses and suits not casual wear

5|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I am wearing a dress... jacket is to get to and from, won't be worn in the ceremony or dinner as I said

• Then yeah go ahead doesn't matter then

Most Helpful Girl

• your boyfriend is right... get rid of that denim jacket and go for the cardigan

or you can still wear a nice cute decorative scarf or not simply wear the dress alone? and spice up the outfit with some jewelry

2|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • As I said in the post I wouldn't be wearing the jacket during the ceremony. It'll be to go to and from as we are going on a boat to get there.

• yea but the cardigan /scarf will be a better option

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• I've never been to a way, so take this with a grain of salt. But a denim jacket doesn't seem like something people should wear to a wedding. I could be wrong.

1|0
    0|0
    • I wouldn't be wearing it in the actual ceremony

• You're wearing that for a wedding? Seems inappropriate looking in my opinion.

1|0
    0|0
  • My redneck uncle showed up to his brothers wedding with his tuxedo sleeves cut off

3|2
    0|0
  • It's too casual. If you want to wear something over the dress I think you should go with a cardigan, even if it does happen to look like you could wear it to a funeral

0|0
    0|0
  • Fuck what people say people will probably talk shit but I think it's stylish it may not be ideal but it's pretty cool.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah, but that doesn't matter if its someone else's wedding. It's not about her it's about the couple having the wedding

• You can not wear denim to a wedding. Absolutely not

1|0
    0|0
  • You look pretty
    Seems fine tho you could pull something more fancy

0|0
    0|0
  • Can't see the dress , take jacket off. if you not gonna be wearing the jacket...🤔

0|0
    0|0
  • You Come Like This To My Engagement - I'm Marrying You ⚡Grim Reaper

0|0
    0|0
  • For u it might be ok. Since it's a wedding u have to wear something better.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes its ok
    looks cool by the way

0|0
    0|0
  • No try just a dress nice black dress by the way

0|0
    0|0
    • That is a black dress 😂

• I already know I'm not dense I made a typo and was lazy to fix it

• Not. No compromise.

0|0
    0|0
  • if you are single, you having jacket will ruin the moment when in cold a random guy will want to give you his tux.

0|0
    0|0
    • Clearly in the post I say it's my boyfriends mums wedding

What Girls Said 22

• Nope...

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally I wouldn't. A denim jacket is too casual. It would be as though you were treating the wedding as an informal event. It's not. A denim jacket gives off an unkempt appearance. It's not suitable for a wedding. Your black cardigan would be more appropriate than a denim jacket

1|0
    0|0
    • As I said in the post it wouldn't be worn during the ceremony just to and from.

• probably not the best idea.. and I'm really sorry but don't you think you should go for some light colours for your dress itself? I mean, isn't it a bad omen or something to wear black to a wedding?

1|0
    0|0
    • No 😂 I don't wear light colors and cannot afford a new dress

• Show All
    • It was my mums not my boyfriends mums.

But yeah I'll take It off in the ceremony and the dinner and just carry it around

• mkayy then. enjoy

• The whole outfit needs a rethink considering its a wedding.
    To answer the question, its inappropriate to wear a denim jacket to a wedding as its too casual for such an important event unless the couple are getting married in a non-traditional way and will be wearing more casual outfits themselves.

1|0
    0|0
  • Personally I wouldn’t, and your boyfriend would know his mother’s preference...
    do you have a scarf hun? Or could you borrow one?
    If you tie it like a shawl it will add a little colour and warmth

0|0
    0|0
    • My scarves are black and infinite

• If it's just gonna be for when its cold, just bring the cardigan. The denim jacket seems seriously out of place for a wedding. Also, your boyfriend specifically asked you not to wear the jacket, and it's his moms wedding so I'd take that into consideration. If y'all are just going to a fancy dinner, I'd agree with you but this is a more important occasion and in the case of weddings, appearances do matter. Bring the cardigan or find one you can borrow from someone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not appropriate for a wedding. Do you have another dress?

1|0
    0|0
    • Dress isn't what I was asking about there is nothing wrong with the dress.

• Show All
    • Even if I'm literally not wearing it at the wedding? 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Do whatever you're comfortable with, though don't be surprised if you feel out of place

• I would save both that dress and the denim for a different occasion. Something lighter would be more appropriate.

1|0
    0|0
    • I don't do light colors and cannot afford anything else.

• Show All
    • I don't really wear them, I prefer jeans and a t.

• I like my dresses. You can keep your jeans.

• I think it's too casual. Opt for a cardigan or dressier jacket. Or even a shawl.

3|0
    0|0
  • I think you probably would look quite out of place in it, doesn't seem anywhere near formal enough. But ultimately, what matters most is if you like the way it looks

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't because it I get cold at some point it wouldn't look right.

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't say formal to me unless they're wearing it that's different lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know wear what you like but i'd dress up more formally... some shirt or a dress. :)

0|0
    0|0
    • I am wearing a dress. The jacket is a coverup to get to and from

• Well your dress is already black so a black cardigan will be fine

0|0
    0|0
  • It looks out of place with that dress.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|1
    0|0
  • Do not wear a denim jacket to a wedding!!!

0|0
    0|0
  • if my wedding i would refuse to admit you

1|0
    1|0
  • it is ok

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope and your outfit is too casual

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls