Is this cultural appropriation?

I am white.
I converted to Islam and my friend who happens to be Indian is dressing me how she thinks every modest muslim teen should be, I am all for modesty I completely support it and that is my goal however the way she is dressing me is like traditional Indian clothes like kurtas. I have no problem with this but I fear other people will like what if I'm seen wearing one and people are offended. Plus I read an article called "10 clothing items white people should not wear" and kurtas was on it.Is this cultural appropriation?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think you have to dress like an Indian to dress modestly. Not to mention, a real and true Muslim dress would require a burka or hijab anyway. I went to school with a Muslim girl. Not sure what country she was from but clearly somewhere in the Middle East. She wore normal pants, leggings, jeans, T shirts etc but she wore a hijab. As long as you're not showing too much skin or cleavage then I think you should be alright. I feel like your Indian friend is just overdoing it. Unbiased opinion from a non-religious person.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• What you've shown in the pic is Indian clothing that is not Islamic clothing. If your friend is Indian then it makes sense she would sometimes want to wear traditional clothing. Islamic dressing requires having legs covered to your ankles and sleeves covered to your wrists.

Some people might get hateful what you were, but that's them being racist like the racist article you read. To say someone can't wear a garment or hair style based on race is them themselves being racist. You aren't doing anything wrong

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 23

• Its not what other people thinks that matters. its what you think which matters the most. If you feel like wearing kurtas then pls do. Muslim women should wear bag cloths so that it will not show the curves and shape of the body

2|0
    0|0
  • Just follow Islam. Dress modestly on how u want it to be. U don't need to be wearing Arab clothing and stuff

2|0
    0|0
  • "Traditional" Indian attire has nothing to do with Islam.

As per your sharia law you are to wear a burka by force.

Congrats on converting to a sexist, violent and barbaric religion.

0|0
    2|0
  • Well you can live for yourself in your own life
    Or remain inferior forever and enslaved to others principles and values...
    ... if you're a follower than continue as you are...

0|0
    0|0
  • The whole idea of "cultural appropriation" is pretty stupid in my opinion. Just wear whatever you feel like wearing. If some paper-thin skinned fool gets offended it does not matter.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it is cultural appropriation, but so is a black man wearing a polo shirt. There's nothing wrong with it

0|0
    0|0
  • If they're offended that's THEIR problem. I don't understand how it's offensive to honor someone else's culturr.

0|1
    0|0
  • "Cultural Appropriation" is more bullshit dreamed up by the Tender Butt Brigade to harass whites about.

Note how they never say shit to a black for using a written alphabet, wearing shoes, living in a structure that isn't a mud hut, etc.

They never say shit to an Indian (dothead variety OR featherhead variety) about using a flush toilet.

They never say shit to an Asian about eating dried food, wearing western-style clothing as opposed to Oriental style, that kind of thing.

Nope, it's just something for racist blacks and self-hating whites to attack whites about.

Fuck them. All of them. If you like the fashion, wear it, and tell the Tender Butt Brigade to go pound salt.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't associate this with any type of religion.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wheres the hijab? And you shall follow sharia law now? And cultural appropriation is just bullshit...

0|0
    1|0
    • And it's REVERTED to Islam... As by the little book every human is born with a belief in God... Which pretty much says you were muslim when you born when you couldn't even think for yourself...

• There is no such as "cultural appropriation" it's a made up thing by social justice warriors and leftist moonbats, kind of like micro aggressions.

0|0
    0|0
  • So what, let them be offended. The fuck happened to "sticks and stones"?

0|0
    0|0
  • You look amazing in it. You could easily pass off as a North Indian.

0|0
    0|0
  • It looks quite good and I am and Indian... Yes those clothes worth a lot

1|0
    0|0
  • Yup, thats cultural appropriation, you racist bigot lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Being a Muslim is cultural appropriation. You can't sink much lower, dress however you like.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only thing you should be wearing is a detainee jumper from GITMO.

0|0
    0|0
  • Brain washed

1|2
    1|0
  • Cultural appropriation does not exist.

1|0
    0|0
  • It just looks like a dress and leggings to me?

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 13

• If you're doing it in a respectful way I see no issue. It's when you wear it and have no clue of it's cultural significance or when you wear it to mock it (like for halloween) then it's an issue.
    At the end of the day if YOU know you're not doing this with ignorance then I say do it and not care what other people think.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's up to you what you wear, and yeah that is traditional south Asian wear. You can get some that are a bit more fashionable than those.
    There's nothing wrong with wearing them. You can wear tunics with long sleeves if you want. Just ask around at your nearest mosque

1|0
    0|0
  • I think its fine, especially because kurtas are everyday Indian wear. They don't really have a religious/etc significance so I don't think its cultural appropriation, especially in the spirit that you're wearing it.

It's really cute :)

-coming from a fellow south Asian

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you think white people born in India shouldn't wear Indian clothing?
    "Cultural appropriation" is just a term non-conservative racists use to further hatred against white people.

And, what metalsucks2 said.

0|0
    0|0
  • i think what you wear is not important. I mean it may be an indian cloth but if you like it n feel comfortable, why not wear it? And it is also modest.

1|0
    0|0
  • When black women can have blonde hair and Asians can wear blue jeans, I'll wear whatever the fuck I want.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its not appropriation because you have converted to Islam. You have every right and reason to dress that way.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well it is not bad but not the right clothes for a muslim

0|1
    0|0
  • You look lovely. I don't think anyone will be offended.

0|0
    0|0
  • I really don't care if it's cultural appropriation or not. Wear what u want to.

2|0
    0|0
  • Just wear modest clothing can be long shirts to anything that covers you

1|0
    0|0
  • Why would converse to Muslim? I'm just curious on what you believe it will do for your life?

0|0
    1|0
  • It's not cultural appropriation you can wear whatever the fuck you want. Culturally appropriating is like having weaves when you're not black

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes