Is this cultural appropriation?

I am white.
I converted to Islam and my friend who happens to be Indian is dressing me how she thinks every modest muslim teen should be, I am all for modesty I completely support it and that is my goal however the way she is dressing me is like traditional Indian clothes like kurtas. I have no problem with this but I fear other people will like what if I'm seen wearing one and people are offended. Plus I read an article called "10 clothing items white people should not wear" and kurtas was on it.Is this cultural appropriation?

1424

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think you have to dress like an Indian to dress modestly. Not to mention, a real and true Muslim dress would require a burka or hijab anyway. I went to school with a Muslim girl. Not sure what country she was from but clearly somewhere in the Middle East. She wore normal pants, leggings, jeans, T shirts etc but she wore a hijab. As long as you're not showing too much skin or cleavage then I think you should be alright. I feel like your Indian friend is just overdoing it. Unbiased opinion from a non-religious person.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• What you've shown in the pic is Indian clothing that is not Islamic clothing. If your friend is Indian then it makes sense she would sometimes want to wear traditional clothing. Islamic dressing requires having legs covered to your ankles and sleeves covered to your wrists.

Some people might get hateful what you were, but that's them being racist like the racist article you read. To say someone can't wear a garment or hair style based on race is them themselves being racist. You aren't doing anything wrong

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE