Girls, When is it appropriate to wear "less" clothing?

A few weeks ago my friend had a summer party and invited her friends and some couples. It was a pool, slip n slide, BBQ party. The party started mid afternoon and some of the girls (not all) were casually topless as if it wasn't an issue. There wasn't anything weird or odd going on at the party, minimal drinking. No one was "drunk" Just a friend gathering.

So I'm curious. Do you think it's appropriate to wear less clothing in a certain environment? Is being topless not as big of a deal anymore?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Men the media have over specialized breasts to the point we think like this when most Europeans have no problem with woman being topless. As Americans we have a problem with topless woman even though guys show there nipples all the time with no consequence. I'm not trying to be all feminist or anything just showing how there is a double standard. If your friends were at a backyard pool party and they felt comfortable enough to go topless good for them maybe they didn't want tan lines or cause it was a group of friends it doesn't matter. I wouldn't say being topless isn't a big deal but, in certain social settings like said party people feel more comfortable to do it around friends and not be chastised or in trouble with the law. As for wearing less clothing everyone can make up their own minds what they feel comfortable with they shouldn't have to check with masses to see if it's ok.

0|0
    0|0
    • Really good answer! I don't think anyone at the party felt uncomfortable. No one even talked about it there or after. I actually thought highly of them for doing something that was outside the norm and being themselves. We are planning another party this weekend depending on the weather. Do you think it needs to be discussed prior?

• Show All
    • There was another party this weekend and it went well!

• Glad to hear

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 23

• Topless as in completely naked, or as in wearing a bikini top or bra?
    If you mean naked, I personally would feel uncomfortable with it, both being naked and being around naked people. Where do you look? Lol. But if everyone was ok with it, and no body was forced to go naked I see no big deal.
    Some people are more convenient in their bodies than others.

2|0
    0|0
  • Not in my social circles, but if everyone seemed ok with it then it must be in theirs

1|0
    0|0
    • It was the first time that's ever happened. No one seemed uncomfortable or even talked about it during or after the party. It got brought up again since we plan on hanging out again by the pool and talked about if we were to do it if we need to give warning or if it's okay to do or not.

• In the US, I think it's still a big deal for women to be topless.

4|0
    0|0
  • I don't know about socially acceptable, but I would never do that.

2|0
    0|0
  • Your friends sound thirsty tbh. But if everyone was cool with it and there were no kids around, it's no big.

0|0
    0|0
    • Truthfully they aren't thirsty. There wasn't anything sexual about the party or by the way they were acting. It was a mix of couples and just a few single guys and girls.

• So girls in relationships were walking around topless in front of other men? That's even more thirsty than I first thought. I'd be saying the same about butt naked men too. Unless you all are in a nudist colony or on a nude beach.. that sounds like frat boy/frat girl, hormonal, attention seeking behaviour.

• I don't know I've nvr been around any topless parties lol might happen somewhere I'm sure, it sounds more foreign to me

1|0
    0|0
  • Kinda depends on where you are. In Europe it is not at all uncommon.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know it's private so completely up to them. I've seen it before.

0|0
    0|0
    • It was private but definitely new to me. Considering trying it next weekend though.

• Show All
    • True! I'm not exactly sure how it started since the tops were off when I had arrived. I'd say out of the 7 or so girls 4 had their top off.

• I think it's normal to be topless or wear minimal but depends on the people around. With Common known friends is comfortable than strangers.

0|0
    0|0
  • Other than once on a nude beach, I have never gone topless in public (skinny dipping doesn't count).

0|0
    0|0
  • Even tho I have nice boobs, I think its sexier showing just a little bit of skin. Make them hunger for more & work for it!

1|0
    0|0
  • It's okay to wear less clothing at the beach or a pool party or at a club other than that it gets a little to reveling.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is a big thing ! Girls need to respect them selves. This is why us girls get shamed way to often.

0|0
    0|0
  • In front of your husband is the only time.

2|0
    0|0
  • Beach, Beach parties, clubs.

0|0
    0|0
  • Summer. At the beach or at the pool. That's it

0|0
    1|0
  • When it’s hot af or when you feel like it

0|0
    0|0
  • At the beach, at the club.