DOVE - What do you think of this?

Ik it's couple years old so chill tf out.. But with the recent events (I actually didn't care about it) plus this one that happened not that long ago still makes you wonder wtf is wrong with these beauty companies sometimes. I'm brown myself and I think it's just ignorance and lack of professionalism on their part.

They're basically implying fair skin is normal and dark skin isn't. DOVE - What do you think of this?
DOVE - What do you think of this?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Took me awhile to get it ngl but yeah that shits pretty racist. I'm shocked it list lists normal to dark. What about people like Abdool who have abnormal skin? Can he not use their products?

2|1
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• I wonder what would be the response if it was on purpose. They say it was an accident. But how would people respond if it was just them being ignorant and labeling whites as normal. How would conservatives respond? Right now they can always say it was an accident but if it wasn't?

0|0
    0|0
  • Dove tend to tread on some unique ground and sometimes they stumble on some pitfalls like this. They try to be more inclusive and some look bad depending on editing. They are smart people with money they need to be better but i don't think it was hateful.

0|0
    0|0
  • Normal to dark skin was a fuck up. That's just really shitty wording, clumsy as fuck. I don't for one minute think that they were genuinely intending to suggest that dark skin is abnormal, it was just amazingly naive on their part. I would not go as far as to suggest a hideously sinister motive on the part of Dove.

As for the recent Dove issue, that one is just bullshit. The black girl reveals a white girl, the white girl reveals an Asian girl. People have tried to create an issue where there isn't one by only focusing on one transition in the commercial rather than the full transition. People need to stop looking for problems where there aren't any and instead focus on problems that do exist.

1|0
    0|0
  • Are people really triggered by this? Gosh, first world problems have gone too far...

2|2
    0|0
  • LOL. I see your point but it's really not a big deal.

0|2
    2|0
  • It's all marketing it's just designed to sound catchy and sell bottles and they don't care who they offend that's every business model

0|0
    0|0
  • The response as to why the labelling ever made it to counter in the first place isn't quite so convincing. "There was a mix up with the batches, and we labelled the wrong product," a Dove spokesperson told us. However, when is labelling a product 'normal to dark' ever OK, gradual-tanner or otherwise?

Dove's official statement reads: "We take this issue very seriously and are sorry for any offence caused. These bottles were discontinued in 2012. Many of our lotions focus on moisture as the key benefit and in some cases we label them 'normal to dry skin'. This product should have been marked as 'fair to medium skin' or 'medium to dark skin'.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its not racist... y'all are waay top sensitive. Its marketing. Dark is different than normal it is "darker than normal" that is why you can say its "dark" its dark in relation to what is "normal" in that sense. Normal is used as the starting point of a spectrum. The point of that sentence is to imply it works well on an entire range of skin tone. "Normal" isn't defining it as subjectively better than dark skin its simply the lower end of the spectrum. The word light or fair may have simply made more sense but maybe that product is meant for average or darker than average skin tones. I think "normal" just simply meant not dark and not pale... essentially the "average" skin color. It was a poor choice in words because light or fair would have fit better in my opinion but I don't think its racist in any way. I think people want to look for something to be offended over.

0|0
    1|0
  • Low key racism

1|1
    0|1
  • Where are the black women? lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it really depends on how you interpret it , so yes it does look bad but probably meant nothing by it. I think what they meant was back at the time fair skin which was the majority and also the one with more damage by the sun so not as many dark skinned people used it or needed it. Normal probably meaning average and more of

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• With cosmetics and skin products I associate "normal skin" with non-greasy, non-dry skin. But mostly likely with that one someone has just had a brain fart.

1|0
    0|0
  • It just sounds wrong, saying normal skin. Like is white skin the default setting or something? They make it sounds like anyone who isn't white is such a marvel and isn't considered normal

0|0
    0|0
  • I love dove! Dove keeps my skin smooth and from breaking out. I'm brown skin as well and the racism is bull. You can't satisfy everyone

0|0
    0|0
  • That does sound funny. They have a weird way of wording their advertisments.

0|0
    0|0
  • Trying to say dark skin isn't normal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing more than money grabbing from people

0|0
    0|0
  • The recent commercial they released is definitely open to interpretation, and I respect all views of it. However, I also feel as though we look too deeply into things with so much racial tension swirling about lately. These dove ads and commercials have to pass through a lot of people before they see the light of day. I doubt it’s a bunch of white hooded racists sitting at the round table wondering how they can piss the lot off. No. It’s probably diverse. Which leads me to believe that the commercial is being misconstrued. The main part of the commercial being passed around the internet (Black woman turning into a white) is subjective, once the rest plays and you see other races are passed through. Like I said, I respect all opinions but I found the commercial harmless. Also, before anyone picks at my anonymity, I prefer not to be hassled with the conversation further once it’s over, as some GaGers tend to do *eyeroll*.

0|0
    0|0
    • Lmao not the commercial. I'm talking about the ad above paired with everything else.

• Well, you said with the recent events, so I could only assume that this ad fell in line with what’s happening in the news, and the “racism” behind it.

• Even with the recent commercial aside, I still think majority of my comment can apply to your post.

Recommended myTakes