Am I being too paranoid for refusing to wear light colored clothing?

I mostly wear black, grey, white or dark colored clothing because I like how dark preppy/formal clothing looks. However, I refuse to wear clothing that is light colored like light green, bright blue, pink, light purple, light red etc. The reason is because I don’t want to be mistaken as a Gay or bisexual Guy. I don’t have anything against Gays or bisexuals by the way. I’m a 100% straight/heterosexual man. This is why I wear mostly dark clothing. Am I being paranoid or is it reasonable?
Am I being too paranoid for refusing to wear light colored clothing?
  • Yes, you are being paranoid. Don’t worry about that.
    Vote A
  • No, it’s completely reasonable
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes; this is odd. Why do you care if someone thinks you may be homosexual or not? Has this happened a lot that it has made you overly cautious about it?

0|0
    0|0
    • No but I have seen guys get mistaken as gay.

• So what? I often been thought as a lesbian. It is not because of my looks, I do not have the lesbian look, but because of my personality... I think? It has never made me want to change my personality.

If sometimes, people think I may be a lesbian, so be it. /shrug

It does not bother me at all. Why does being mistaken as gay, bother you?

Maybe it is more OK for a woman to be thought to be a lesbian than it is for a man to be thought of as gay? Maybe? I dunno - I think I would just take it as a compliment.

You are a bit dry and rational (which I really like BTW) and I would never guess you as gay. That some people do, I think shows great depth in you that I am jealous that I have not seen yet though I do not doubt exists. :)

Take it as a compliment. Embrace it and own it. That is my advice. Do not hide it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I prefer neutral colors because I am partially color blind and I do a much better job of dressing myself when I wear dark blue, grey, black, and browns. I grew up thinking that pink and purple were feminine colors and I never wear them. I don;t wear too many bright colors. I have 8 identical white polo shirts in my closet.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 14

• how about beige

0|1
    0|0
  • While I do understand where you're coming from, I do agree with the majority that you are being a bit paranoid by limiting the color of your wardrobe so severely. Most gay guys I've met either dress like most straight guys or so flamboyantly it's obvious (like wearing 6-inch wedge heels or rainbow suspenders). Usually you can tell if someone is gay by their personalities and affectations, not necessarily their wardrobe. More men are also finding interest in the fashion industry, so you can't even determine sexuality based on particular brands (unless there's a specific brand for gays I don't know about)

If you don't want people to mistake your sexuality based on colors, then avoid traditionally feminine colors such as pink, purple, baby blue, and anything in the pastel family. Don't worry about colors such as green, red, and blue because they're traditionally masculine. Yellow and orange are considered gender-neutral, so you can wear those in the spring and summer months without any weird looks either. I've never heard of khaki pants being a gay thing, and can think of several straight men off the top of my head who wear them (many of them married to women), so feel free to wear khaki pants as much as you want--but seriously, most of the supervisors I work with wear khaki shorts everyday

Now all that said, and wearing black most of the time is not a problem. A lot of men keep things simple by wearing a similar outfit everyday. I personally wear black everyday and do not feel comfortable leaving my apartment unless I have something black on, albeit only shoes. But I dress heavily in gothic fashion, so the amount of black I wear fits my personality, and I accent with enough color and lace and velvet and jewelry that people understand it as a creative expression of mine. Generally when someone wears only black without the personality to back it up, people view them as a depressive, brooding, angsty type, and very few people want to be around that negative energy. Wearing mostly black will cause women to not want to date you as well because they view you as boring and sad. So wear what you're comfortable with, but don't be afraid to wear a red, green, or blue shirt with your black pants. People won't think you're gay, and they actually might want to talk to you more because you'll seem friendlier and happier and more open to communication. (And the white is fine too--black pants and a white shirt are classic)

0|1
    0|0
  • Trust me nobody bases whether they think someone's homosexual on their bloody shirt colour, what fantasy land are you living in?

1|2
    0|0
  • I never thought a guy is gay because of that 😮
    Maybe you're mildly depressed 🙁

0|1
    0|0
  • At least for me it seems completely reasonable.

I myself prefer dark, classy clothing just because I feel more comfortable in it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like guys who wear light clothes and I don't assume all of them are guy. Guys in black look a bit boring to me.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wear light coloured clothing and I'm still mistaken for heterosexual

2|0
    0|0
  • you are being ridiculous if that's your reason for not wearing lighter colors.

0|0
    0|0
  • Colors doesn't make a gay person lol, so yea paranoid

0|1
    0|0
  • I mean, I wear dark clothing most of the time which is fine by me. If you like it and it isn’t hurting someone else, wear it.

However, the reasoninh behind you wearing dark clothes doesn’t sit right with me. Stereotyping gay & bi people should stop, it’s so fucking annoying. Wearing pink as a straight guy is actually quite the turn on in my opinion, because you show that you do not care about other people’s opinions.

So, you wearing dark clothes is because you are insecure, and that is paranoid.

1|0
    0|0
  • No almost everything I own is black. If that’s what you looked wear it

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that that's paranoid, yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes you are

0|0
    0|0
  • Like how you give to options for the same approval. lol like wtf is this thinking mentality

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• Really? Are you so insecure in your sexuality that you think you'll be overwhelmed by your clothing? What would you do if you were hired to work at, say Microsoft, where pale blue Oxford shirts and khaki trousers are the campus uniform? Don't let your homophobia take over your wardrobe choices.

5|1
    0|1
    • It’s not homophobia.

• Show All
    • Well, the way you said it at first made it sound as if you were attacking me. I also never said you are a radical liberal, I said that’s you were showing a sign (Modus Operandi) of the radical liberals.

• Fair enough.

• Preferring a color pallet is fine; but as for thinking the gay community has a uniform or that you can't wear a certain color because of your sexual orientation is just... fucking dumb.

2|2
    0|0
  • That's absurd. No one will think you like dick for wearing bright clothes. Just don't buy a shirt with large rainbow print saying #IAMGAY you're good dude!

1|1
    0|0
  • Where what you like and what works for you. I pull off darker colors better than lighter colors. If I look good and attracting women, I can care less who may think I look gay or bisexual.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah a little.

Plenty of homosexual people wear black and dark colours all the time. Plenty of straight people wear light colours, it’s not so much a pink shirt it’s how you wear it.

0|0
    0|0
  • i love black, but if you don't wear a different colors you'll never know how it feels. don't be afraid of being mistaken with a bi. try new things. and bi can wear black too.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah I'd say that qualifies as paranoia.
    I tend to stick to plain colours just out of preference, but I'm man enough to wear pink, I don't give a damn.

1|0
    0|0
  • I mean whatever man its your own style. I am the last person to be giving anyone fashion advice that's all I know.

0|0
    0|0
  • um nope , my brother and i refuse to wear light colored clothing too. its just preferences man

0|0
    0|0
  • I think I'm just like you except when I'm at home!

0|1
    0|0
  • I have yet to see colors that dictate sexuality.

1|0
    0|0
  • i prefer dark clothes over the light ones as well

0|1
    0|0
  • Reasonable

0|1
    0|0
  • You are paranoid already mate *srs*

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes