Is the beauty industry SHADY towards people of colour?

Tarte (makeup brand) recently launched the "Shape Tape" foundation and after Fenty beauty slayed 2017 by highlighting diversity with their shade range... Tarte been sleeping and they still asleep. Their shade range offers 10+ light colours and about 4 medium/dark colours which has caused a huge backlash. After receiving the backlash they came out saying they will be adding more shades later but it's just too late sis. Keep in mind this is a huge makeup brand that's extremely popular which is why many are disappointed.

Thoughts?
Is the beauty industry SHADY towards people of colour?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Pretty shady, yeah. I find it sad that in 2018, some beauty brands still struggle to create products for everyone. I would seriously hate to be so excited about a foundation, only for it to launch and realize I can't use it because the brand excluded my skin tone. What makes it even worse is a rep from tarte saying they will include more shades later but started with lighter shades first because "naturally your skin is more pale in the winter." Um... black people's skin tone is not seasonal... come on.

And for everyone saying "they do it because lighter shades sell more!" How the hell are darker shades supposed to sell if the brand doesn't make them? People of color can't buy a product that doesn't exist and you can't gather data and statistics on a product to see how well it will sell when you don't even offer it to begin with. That's just a pitiful excuse for not being inclusive. If Fenty beauty can do it, so can tarte and every other brand.

Tarte did include my shade but if my friends with deeper skin tones can't enjoy it and be excited with me, I don't want it. So I will not be purchasing.

6|0
    0|0
    • SPEAK
      PREACH

STANDING OVATION SIS YOU NAILED IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD!

• Show All
    • @Cosytoasty This right here is what I'm talking about.

• Thanks for MHO! I hope someday more people will understand this topic better and stop brushing it off as an insignificant issue.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 35

• Lighter skin is just more attractive to most people. That's not magically not true anymore just because it doesn't seem fair. Tall guys are just more attractive to most people but I don't see anyone complaining that we should pretend that's not true just because it doesn't seem fair.

At the end of the day the company is just looking out for itself. If the darker shades sold just as well they'd be making them just as much, but the fact is they don't. So they don't.

5|3
    14|1
    • ACTUALLY you don’t know what you’re talking about and sound extremely ignorant. There isn’t a shade on beauty. As for your completely idiotic statement suggesting darker women won’t purchase the makeup maybe you should actually research before you speak. When Rihanna released Fenty beauty dark shades were the first ones to sell out and continue to sell out before lighter shades

• Show All
    • @SuperNovaRoyalty What happened millions of years doesn't change what's the case now. Humans also use to be much shorter, but short guys are seen as less attractive than tall guys for most people. And don't use "people like me". You're not "them" and it makes you take things personally. I'm not 6'2" but that doesn't make me say "humans originated from Africa where people like me were shorter. So don't be telling me shortness isn't attractive to most people".

And for the record, I never even said that dark skin was unattractive, only that lighter ski ln was more attractive to most cultures and people

• @maiave Please read the whole thread. There's no way in hell that a big corporation like Maybelline produced the same amount of a product only 1/10 of women use as a product 9/10 women can use. That makes no sense. What does make sense is a limited-release Rihanna line that sold out 2nd fastest in the companies history.

• Thoughts?
    Well I think people should find a better hobby than bitch and be offended 24/7 for no fucking reasons, when it's not made up reasons. Seriously, wtf is wrong with people nowadays.

5|4
    10|1
    • I think you should stop bitching about people who are trying to bring up important discussions. If your tiny brain can't offer any valuable input, leave the question sister.

• Show All
    • @Ephemera1 It is. As any of those "racism" claims lately. And those people crying are also insignificant. The fact that they cry about something so ridiculous doesn't make it, or them, important in any way. Tomorrow, the whole world will forget about those complain and Earth will keep spinning, people will keep living, and that's all. It's totally unimportant.
      And insulting people doesn't make you right. In fact, it just shows that you have absolutly no argument. And that's it. Tomorrow the sun will rise and no one except you will even remember your crying, or even you. Because that's so made up and unimportant that people don't have time to remember it. They're too busy with living their lives and working, and taking care of their children. Compared to everything they have to do and worry about, you're just irrelevant.
      Anyway, I already took enough of my time for something that doesn't deserve more than a minute, so I leave you to your "problems". Goodnight!

• I won't remember crying because there never was any crying. Or an argument. The shades are not even remotely close to people of color. That's that. Enjoy your night mate.

• They are catering to their target audience, which in the West means Caucasian people. Companies cannot simply ignore their majority customers to justify the R&D costs for a minority.

4|5
    2|0
    • Meanwhile Fenty beauty skyrocketed on its first launch because it did cater to darker tones with different undertones. There's honestly more brown skinned women on the planet than you think.

• Show All
    • @xXiTacoXx I'm not doubting that there is a profit to be made, i'm also not doubting that more and more companies are trying to cater to everyone. Because overall, there is a better potential for growth if your company is seen to be sailing with the political wind (which at this point in time is blowing in the all-inclusive direction... look at how dress size numbers have been altered to make women feel included). But these things take time
      farm5.static.flickr.com/.../...7085_4cfbd1a447.jpg
      I'm sure you can place Fenty and Tarte at suitable locations on that chart. It's like i said, whoever is running Tarte's marketing team has not seen a solid enough case to justify following other companies... yet.

My challenge to this question is the belief that there is some kind of racist agenda at work, when i firmly believe it's an economical decision.

• You say they need proof that it works when other companies have proven that it works. Fenty, Nars, Anastasia Beverley Hills, NYX, L. A. Girl, Ben Nye, Lancôme, Black Up, Juvia's Place, Artist Couture, MAC Cosmetics, Bobbi Brown cosmetics, and Maybelline all have proven that it works for years (some of them for decades even) and are thriving. If course Tartes statistics for a shade range their not properly catering to would fail. If you don't making something that'll work for someone of course they won't buy it. It's literally set to fail.

• No. They choose to produce what is demanded. Darker colors aren't demanded so they choose to produce lighter ones. Stop suggesting basic laws of economics are somehow racism.

3|0
    6|0
    • Fenty catered to all skin tones and had a huge variety of darker tones and skyrocketed. So saying darker tones aren't in demand is quite the lie.

• Show All
    • It was historically biased towards anyone who was between light beige and dark beige. Even darker skinned Asian's, Pacific Islanders, and Latino/Hispanic people couldn't find a decent shade that was dark enough because up until a couple decades/years ago not only was their more discrimination, but people thought those with darker skin couldn't afford to buy make-up which has also been proven wrong. We buy what we can use, and don't buy what we can't.

• @xXiTacoXx Oh nevermind then. We don't even disagree

• Are they shady? Who knows. But this a problem and not because there isn't enough colours for you to use but because they would simply have even more profit in certain regions if they were selling more "colours", so from a business point of view they should do this but in all honesty most of you are going to complain about everything and anything anyway.

1|0
    0|0
  • From their POV the darker skin tone is a small percentage of the market.

Why would you even want to give money to a huge corporation that never gave a sh*t about you when presumably there are mom & pop companies focused on serving people that look like you?

My 2 cents

0|0
    0|0
  • Fuuuck yes. European beauty standards up the ass.
    I see so much foundation for dark women that was basically just meant to make them look more light skin.
    And it's worldwide, not just here.

Riri a straight up hero.

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't see the big deal. They'll make new shades later if they are selling more darker shades. By saying "I refuse to by from such a limited company" black women and other women of color will simply get cut out completely.
    Also on a side note, I'm not an expert on make up but couldn't you blend two colors together? It's a serious question

3|0
    1|0
    • Nope, because we also have to worry about undertones, and the reason who darker skinned PoC don't make those few shades sell is because there's not a wide shade range for us to choose from. There's 50 shades of brown just like there's 50 shades of light beige and tan. If we only get 3 shades with crappy undertone jobs, then how will they sell to us at all?

• No. Just buy the makeup that works for you. Stop going out of your way to make everything racist.

2|1
    2|0
  • They usually go where the money is

They just follow the money trail to be honest

And you can mix dark and light shades to get the perfect balance
    You don't need a ton of dark colors

Just like a painter only needs a few colors on his palette

0|0
    1|0
    • But Fenty catered to people of colour, and it exploded within a few months compared to what other brands tried doing for years. Going where the money is isn't the best excuse to not have a wide range of darker shades and correct undertones to go with them.

• Show All
    • You can't just mix colours of two items that never worked for your skintone, and undertone and still have it workout. They'd be more profitable if they did expand, and start out with a multitude of shades and undertones like Rhianna's Fenty. There are other famous people who made make-up products, but didn't sell as well when it came to PoC because there wasn't a wide shade range for dark skinned PoC with proper undertones. How can we buy something we can't use because it wouldn't look right on us? If it does look good on us then we're more than willing to spend the money it costs buy it. There's a huge untapped profitable market their ignoring because their too lazy to make the right formula's to work with darker skin tones.

• The beauty industry has forgone profits when it came to catering to dark skinned women for years. They often say "these items just don't sell well", but constantly ignore the fact that they only make 3-4 shades of extra dark brown with red, pink, or ashy purple undertones which is something most if not all dark skinned women don't have.

• Excuse my french but fuck make up. If i had the ability of anything i would make all make up products disappear.

2|0
    1|0
  • Are you a 'everybody is against us' person. I'm in business. If I can sell green colors for skin I will. Companies are in the business of making money. They don't hold back from making products people want and can sell. They just don't do it.

0|0
    1|0
  • Two words: who cares?

4|4
    5|0
  • I figure maybe they thought since there are more races with lighter skin this could pass as ok. Like Russian, Asian, German, Polish, Native American, Canadian, etc. Vs the dark tones of Indian, African, Nigerian, and others.

0|0
    2|0
    • Not all Native Americans, Latino's/Hispanics, or Asians are lighter skinned. There's also multiple brands that have shown it's better to expand making make-up suited for darker skin tones in the long run.

• True I was just stating it as a general opinion. I can understand how that can be taken poorly on their part but I also get that they should have equal shades.

• first world woman problem : iam too dark for my make up

seriously is this really something that stops people from sleeping at night? lol

2|1
    1|0
  • I won't be losing sleep over this latest "outrage."

1|1
    1|0
  • The truth is that the medium/dark range has so many more colors and so little people compared to light colors, it's a business calm down

3|0
    1|0
  • Businesses take time to change or develop products. Even big companies. I'm not an expert but can't somebody just blend a darker and lighter shade together?

0|0
    1|0
  • Who cares whether they're shady or not shady lol. Colored skin is beautiful in it's own form, just like fair skin can be. But it's the face that really matters.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well i think the company is over killing. I think its okay to jst taget specific ethnic groups for specialization for different line of brands.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Its just skin tone makeup was designed when skin tone meant "Hey housewives! Buy more makeup to cover the bruises!"

0|1
    0|0
  • "Is the beauty industry SHADY towards people of colour?"

There's a pun in there somewhere.

1|0
    0|0
  • no because if they could make you happy and sell you shit they would. they might not have the dark colours because less people overall buy those.

0|0
    2|0
    • They're not bought because they don't have a variety of shades for a darker complexion which you can see above

• Ha ha very funny... shady... People of color... Whatever

0|0
    0|0
  • Is there a pun in that question? Haha

1|0
    0|0
  • Who cares, girls are better without makeup.

2|1
    3|0
  • Oh no 😢

0|0
    0|0
  • Kinda

0|0
    0|0
  • Under represented more thab shady in my opinion

1|0
    0|0
  • No..

0|0
    1|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 46

• Honestly, I have never even understood why darker skintones need foundation since pimples or some other flaws can hardly be seen on their skin - or can't be seen...
    Maybe that's why?

But if not... then I really don't know.

5|0
    10|1
    • Lmao what even? You don't have many coloured friends do you

• Show All
    • Oh that makes sense then, ok yeah I do get you and yeah there are lots of other brands who have a huge range of shades now so tarte doesn't really worry me

• Yeah NOW I can find right shade for me. Dark skin tones tend to need more than one color.

I do get where you're coming from now. I mean my skin is generally clear, but its darker around my eyes so I use concealer to light them and then a little foundation to balance it off

• Yes, it's so messed up. Tarte is SO huge, they could have made better options for darker people. The jump between the colors, what the actual hell Tarte. You either don't have a shade or you would have to buy 2. No thanks, I'm looking for a new foundation but it won't be Tarte.

by the way anyone have any suggestions for a full coverage, long lasting foundation? (warm undertones available)

1|0
    0|0
  • The shades were hardly even made for darker skin as they were more shades of orange than they were brown. People were having to mix two together and even then it was still bad. And the shades also differed between hydrating and matte. The entire makeup instustry needs a huge overhaul in terms of shades. Its hard even buying for my shade because the shade i buy in liquid is a lot fucking oranger in the powdered version of it.
    People have speculated its a marketing thing so when they release new shades people spend more money.
    Whatever the reason, they need to change it!

4|0
    0|0
    • Yeah exactly. I don't know what they were thinking esp since so many people like the shape tape concealer.

• They fucked it up, thats for sure. You'd think they would have learned from previous companies making the same mistskes.

• Yeah we need to have at least 20+ shades.

We are the "colored" ones afterall right?

😂

Thats typical though, some brands dont even carry foundation for dark brown skin tones in store.

I have to mix foundations to get my shade lol

My boyfriend be walkin in like W. T. F

2|0
    0|0
  • I find it strange how they’re using that arm to show their colours when she has no match with any of them 😂

Anyhow, like many companies out there they generally cater towards the “majority” population because that generates more money and less spending on doing variety of darker colours for minority because it’s not as profitable, unfortunately. It’s really all about money, not really anything about being shady if you ask me.

1|1
    0|0
    • But Fenty Skyrocketed which means it's not just the multitude of light beiges willing to spend the coin for decent make-up.

• No, i honestly think they try to make a good shade range but they cater to the majority of their consumers, I'm basically as light as you can get without being albino and i have trouble finding colors in my shade, i dont see that as them being shady or implying my skin isn't attractive, i see it as them making colors that suit the majority of people, and unfortunately there aren't many people like me so colors in my shade are not in high demand. It's the same with really dark skin colors too, they make up less of the population so companies won't focus as much on making foundations for them. It's unfortunate but not the result of descrimination, it's the result of them trying to please as many of their customers as possible without putting themselves into bankruptcy. If you think about it making all those shades for a brand new foundation is a huge business risk, because if they put all their money into shade range and the foundation isn't successful then they don't make their money back.

0|0
    0|0
    • I think tarte is really testing it out and putting out the foundation in the most popular shades to see if people like the formula, they are releasing the rest later because they want to properly estimate how many people will buy the darker shades, it's somewhat of a safety net.

• I'm not trying to undermine the struggle with darker skin tones but just so you know, people with practically paper white face (like myself) struggle with finding a matching shade of foundation, too. I think the make up industry is being shady on both ends of the shade spectrum. Lighter skin tones still have a lot more to choose from which is obviously unfair but I just wanted to point out that only the people in the middle seem to have it easier.

1|0
    2|0
  • It’s only 14 shades. I’d say Tarte wasn’t being “shady”, I’d say almost every skin tone could find a suitable match in that line. If they had, released say, 30, with only a few darker tones, that would be a bit more shady. But since it’s like 5 to 9, and in my experience there’s a very very very wide range of fair skin tones (not to say there aren’t many darker shades).

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, disappointing that this is still an issue in 2018. How brands don’t understand that they’ll only be GAINING money by having a wide variety of shades is beyond me.

2|0
    0|0
    • Because they won't. The market is only a tenth of the market for lighter shades. That means they literally make 10× the profit when they focus on lighter skin tones

• Show All
    • I went through this whole thing on another thread lol just read that and you'll see what I'm trying to get at

• @Anon85 not really interested since the stats from other brands who successfully have a wide variety of shades don’t lie.

• Personally, I just think this comes from the fact most people of colour did not wear make up a few decades a ago. Make-up was something for the rich, and there weren’t a lot of rich people of colour.

But should they add more fucking colours and recognize that there are more than two types of dark? Abso-fucking-lutely.

1|0
    0|0
    • What does the past have to do with now? Decades ago people were struggling with being treated properly, so I'm pretty sure a lot of people weren't focused on makeup

• @nojokecarmichael the past matters always. Often, people don’t change things/perspective.

So if the past was like that, they won’t bother to change now.

• Without a doubt the beauty industry is shady towards darker skinned women. "They only make what sells." Well we can't buy what isn't suited for us. How are we suppose to buy something we can't even wear?

2|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure because I mostly use organic brands and as long as the ingredients don't ruin my skin it's okay, but maybe some brands offer limiting color shades...

2|0
    0|0
  • It is, but it is getting better. The more POC put their money on the products that work, the more cosmetics companies will create products that work. And keep shouting when they don't. Please. (You shouldn't have to.)

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it’s crazy how they only have often just four shades that’s for WOC. I myself have very very very light skin during the winters and not even the lightest concealer in all the makeup brands I’ve tested can be good to use as a highlight at the same time :(

0|0
    0|0
  • Its super shitty of all the brands to not have more divrerse dark shades. Women of color don't come in three colors. They are just as complex as women who have light skin.
    I absolutely love that Fenty put out so many shades. Every brand, not just the popular/high dollar ones should have every color of skin you can think of. Not just dark ones but also those that have yellow and orange pigments too! No woman should have to feel like she doesn't exist because the industry won't make her skin color

3|0
    0|0
  • No I think people these days are just purposefully going out of their way to make everything seem racist. Companies (like Tarte) make shades they know are going to sell. Why make 10 million shades when they know only a few are going to sell. There are so many companies that sell foundation, and lots options to choose from- just go find your fricking shade!

0|0
    2|0
  • Honestly this sucks coming from Tarte because they’re stuff is usually on point and has a ton of shade ranges. I’m thinking that they’ll release more shades soon, because if they don’t they’re gunna lose a lot of money from this..

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's been blown out if proportion. They came out with shade ranges across the spectrum just like every other beauty company has done prior. I think rather than taking offense to something so frivolous that energy would be better spent doing something positive for the world.

1|0
    2|0
  • A little yes.
    Like of colour are not just 3 dark colours, they all have different undertones and shades.
    Also the dark colours are almost orange in real life, like Trump in the summer.

2|0
    0|0
  • Well apparently POC only come in 3 shades darker :/
    You should see some of the UK stores when it comes make up for darker skin- for some the darkest they might stock is Caramel.
    It's really annoying.

2|0
    0|0
  • I could care less about tarte really, I mean other beauty brands have a huge range of dark shades and I'm happy

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no. I think overall the cosmetics industry is money hungry. They’ll do what benefits them the most even if that means overlooking people of color. Their products might have a bigger demand of light colors hence the shade range.

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s expensive for a brand to make many shades. It’s just Fenty’s it factor... people who buy tarte are usually white subberban girls #allTnoShade

2|1
    0|0
  • "Is the beauty industry SHADY towards people of colour?" is that a play on words or a serious question?

1|0
    0|0
  • I guess they think black people don't have money. )-;

2|0
    0|1
  • It’s one make up brand. If you aren’t happy, shop around.

1|0
    2|0
  • The beauty industry doesn't make stuff for blue skinned folks. I don't see anyone talking about that. I'M SHOOKETH 😭😤😤

0|0
    0|0
  • Focusing on solely fair coloured skin makeup is not only unfair to the darker skin people but also hurting the amount of money they make, so to speak. It's not only black people, but the darker skinned latinos and asians/indians. Which make up more than half of the world's population if my knowledge is correct. Sooooo these companies are really just screwing themselves here. Makeup companies that DO cater to darker skin tones are far more successful and popular with the most people.
    Also was that a pun? More "shady" about the skin shades?

1|0
    0|0
  • Woah. The last foundation is too dark, the second last is too dark, the third last is light.

0|0
    0|0
  • i would say the 3 color up, mixed with with the 2nd color up, but i am not sure

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes