Is the beauty industry SHADY towards people of colour?

Tarte (makeup brand) recently launched the "Shape Tape" foundation and after Fenty beauty slayed 2017 by highlighting diversity with their shade range... Tarte been sleeping and they still asleep. Their shade range offers 10+ light colours and about 4 medium/dark colours which has caused a huge backlash. After receiving the backlash they came out saying they will be adding more shades later but it's just too late sis. Keep in mind this is a huge makeup brand that's extremely popular which is why many are disappointed.

Thoughts?

4736

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Pretty shady, yeah. I find it sad that in 2018, some beauty brands still struggle to create products for everyone. I would seriously hate to be so excited about a foundation, only for it to launch and realize I can't use it because the brand excluded my skin tone. What makes it even worse is a rep from tarte saying they will include more shades later but started with lighter shades first because "naturally your skin is more pale in the winter." Um... black people's skin tone is not seasonal... come on.

And for everyone saying "they do it because lighter shades sell more!" How the hell are darker shades supposed to sell if the brand doesn't make them? People of color can't buy a product that doesn't exist and you can't gather data and statistics on a product to see how well it will sell when you don't even offer it to begin with. That's just a pitiful excuse for not being inclusive. If Fenty beauty can do it, so can tarte and every other brand.

Tarte did include my shade but if my friends with deeper skin tones can't enjoy it and be excited with me, I don't want it. So I will not be purchasing.

• SPEAK
      PREACH

STANDING OVATION SIS YOU NAILED IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD!

• @Cosytoasty This right here is what I'm talking about.

• Thanks for MHO! I hope someday more people will understand this topic better and stop brushing it off as an insignificant issue.