Does self-esteem really impact how you see yourself?

Low self esteem = "I'm ugly"?
High self esteem = "I'm attractive"?

928

Most Helpful Guy

• Wondering whether you're attractive doesn't mean you have low self-esteem. Self-esteem and self-confidence are similar but different. Also it's more the other way around. Your confidence in yourself is something you're not actively conscious of while you walk around, in most cases. Self-esteem and self-confidence are not levels that can be measured, they're kind of like descriptions of the way you carry yourself. It's not either 0 or 100, and it's not something you decide, it's just something that IS. You can, however, decide to try to think better of yourself and over time increase your own confidence or esteem in yourself.

Most Helpful Girl

• Does it impact how you see yourself? Yes.
    Does the way you see yourself relate to your physical appearance? Not necessarily.

Self-esteem is an OVERALL self-evaluation of one's own worth. It's possible to see yourself as someone who is highly physically attractive, but also to see yourself as someone who is severely deficient in other areas--e. g., intelligence, social or financial status, competence in some skill or sport--to such a point that your perceived deficiency therein overshadows whatever other redeeming qualities you believe you have. Or, perhaps you don't even care about your appearance, so that doesn't even make it into the evaluation, and you see yourself as an overall worthless person.

Take, for example, someone whose most important ambition in life is to excel in academics. To do so, they're constantly competing against other students and trying to impress faculty members. What's going to happen to that person's self-esteem if someone--or even everyone--calls them ugly? Yeah, it'll sting, but they're not going to die of self-loathing. Their looks aren't relevant to their aspirations. But, what's going to happen to that person's self-esteem if they fail a semester or are deemed stupid and incompetent by their peers? Even if they're commended for their appearance, I can guarantee you that they'd be going through a very difficult patch in that scenario.