Does self-esteem really impact how you see yourself?

Low self esteem = "I'm ugly"?
High self esteem = "I'm attractive"?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Wondering whether you're attractive doesn't mean you have low self-esteem. Self-esteem and self-confidence are similar but different. Also it's more the other way around. Your confidence in yourself is something you're not actively conscious of while you walk around, in most cases. Self-esteem and self-confidence are not levels that can be measured, they're kind of like descriptions of the way you carry yourself. It's not either 0 or 100, and it's not something you decide, it's just something that IS. You can, however, decide to try to think better of yourself and over time increase your own confidence or esteem in yourself.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Does it impact how you see yourself? Yes.
    Does the way you see yourself relate to your physical appearance? Not necessarily.

Self-esteem is an OVERALL self-evaluation of one's own worth. It's possible to see yourself as someone who is highly physically attractive, but also to see yourself as someone who is severely deficient in other areas--e. g., intelligence, social or financial status, competence in some skill or sport--to such a point that your perceived deficiency therein overshadows whatever other redeeming qualities you believe you have. Or, perhaps you don't even care about your appearance, so that doesn't even make it into the evaluation, and you see yourself as an overall worthless person.

Take, for example, someone whose most important ambition in life is to excel in academics. To do so, they're constantly competing against other students and trying to impress faculty members. What's going to happen to that person's self-esteem if someone--or even everyone--calls them ugly? Yeah, it'll sting, but they're not going to die of self-loathing. Their looks aren't relevant to their aspirations. But, what's going to happen to that person's self-esteem if they fail a semester or are deemed stupid and incompetent by their peers? Even if they're commended for their appearance, I can guarantee you that they'd be going through a very difficult patch in that scenario.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 27

• Well thats literally the definition of self-esteem.
    Self = you
    esteem = how you value something.

Self - esteem = how you value yourself. Or in other words how you see yourself.

You can of course see yourself in the mirror and think "I'm ugly" and not care cause you place literally no value on beauty and feel secure in your strength of character or other qualities.
    But again that would be having accurate or high self-esteem. It is just how you see yourself.

0|1
    0|0
  • In my mother language we have self esteem/confidence as your believabilty in yourself, your skills, worth etc. And another word/phrase which directly translated probably will be "self-picture" which is more about how you see yourself physically. Its not just "attractive" or "unattractive" though. It can be anything. too Fat, too skinny, too weak, too buff etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe to some degree absolutely. Having # positive outlook radiates healthy and happiness from your so you see yourself in the mirror and you look better so you feel better it's a nice feedback loop. And if you feel like shit look in the mirror you'll look like shit to yourself and same thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pretty much, although it's hard to say whether you think you're good looking because you have high self-esteem, or you have high self-esteem because you think that you're good looking.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sure, it impacts what you pay attention to. Low self-esteem = very practised in noticing weaknesses. High self-esteem = very practised in noticing strengths.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, seen that plenty of times, especially in women.

Girls with low self-esteem always underestimate how attractive they are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Over self esteem = ugly (reality) =I'm beautiful
    Self esteem = beautiful = ok
    Low self esteem = beautiful (reality) = I'm ugly
    Real Self esteem = reality = realization = happy with what we have

0|0
    0|0
  • Low self esteem can break your life even if you are smoking hot. Sooner you sort this issue better your life will become

0|0
    0|0
  • Not sure of the question but I always go with a "fake it till you make it" approach. False confidence helps breed real confidence.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, most ofthe time. But not only on your physical appearance, it works on how much you think you're worth.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well yeah. If you have low self-esteem you'll think lowly of yourself. High self-esteem you'll probably see yourself as an amazing person

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, high self esteem means that you're confident no matter how you look.

0|0
    0|0
  • Low self-esteem = I'm low value.
    High self esteem = I'm high value.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, tremendously.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes self esteem makes us how we view ourselves

0|0
    0|0
  • Low self esteem= self hate and self harm?

0|0
    0|0
  • Aye.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes very

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it does

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it does.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes of course.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most definitely affects your slef value

0|0
    0|0
  • Basically, yeah

0|0
    0|1
  • yes that is exactly what self esteem is.

0|0
    0|0
  • of course

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but not like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only in dating I see myself as hideous and it affects my dating life but it doesn’t affect my professional life cause I’m the best worker at my job

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• Low in general, but high when I see myself in the mirror lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think it really affects how you see yourself, it affects how you carry yourself. It affects how you act towards others. If affects the way you are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitel. Self esteem has a lot to do with looks, at least for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its true.

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah it does!

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • For sure