Is a beard the average man’s make-up?

The average woman wears make-up. Some women don’t, and some men also wear it.

Speaking averagely though, most men do not wear make-up. A lot of men DO have beards. Is that comparable to make-up?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Not sure
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• If you look ugly or worse without a beard... it's the KIND of the same thing as girls looking bad without make up. Mind you make up is something that you don't grow... its a bit like face paint... i mean you could argue that hair also covers up bad features... i for one look better with a fringe. What it comes down to is make up being something that you don't grow/isn't naturally meant to be on your body. Fuck i dunno man but beards can help a guy with a bad jaw.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 32

• I grow my beard because I'm too lazy to shave. If that's how some of you ladies treat your face with makeup, I'm honestly afraid to see what your pillow cases look like.

1|0
    0|0
    • I’ve gone to sleep with make-up on before. It’s not that bad for the pillowcase, but my skin had to recover for a week..

• I wouldn't say that it is. It's comparable to the way a woman wears her hair or perhaps does her eyebrows, it's just a hair style. There's nothing fake about a beard, it's part of the guy's body. Make-up on the other hand is not, it's face paint. It can be very deceiving on certain women making them look a lot more attractive than they actually are.

0|0
    1|0
  • It's a thing they wear on their face to look more attractive so in that sense yes, but shaving would also then be classed as a kind of makeup, like getting eyebrows trimmed or something, same vein. Maybe it's better classed as a haircut though; still something done to look good, it's just on the face too, not just on the scalp. I think the main takeaway is that yes men put work into making their face pretty.

1|0
    0|0
  • Women shave their legs, so that would be the equivalent of a man shaving. However, in the Winter, some women don't shave their legs because they only wear pants or leggings. So then, when it comes to how much time it takes to get ready, maybe they would be about equal.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not really. You look different shaved. But then again you look different with a buzz cut than you do with long hair. Is hair the average man's makeup? nope. Its just hair. If you have uneven skin etc... it'll show, a beard can't hide everything. And a beard doesn't look good on everyone.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't say that a lot of men have them, in fact of the men I know very few have one, but it does serve to cover up your face and I guess could be considered similar.

I just have a beard because shaving sucks.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Some men can't grow a beard, or it's patchy. Others can, but not be able grow it long, and/or bushy. Not something that's just "quickly" applied and then taken off for those that have to shave every day.

1|0
    0|0
  • The better analogy would be shaving. Having a beard is a man's default state. The act of shaving is him changing his appearance.

1|1
    0|0
  • no it would be more along the lines of an accessory or a hair style, if a person does it because they think it makes them more aesthetically pleasing.

1|0
    0|0
  • No because some men just can’t grow beards.

Every woman with hands can apply make up to their face.

They’re both accessories in one way or another though.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sexual attraction is due to genetics > beards are a sign of genetics > make-up is a man-made. Therefore, not the same.

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s not natural to put makeup on, neither is it natural to shave a beard. The two are not comparable.

1|0
    0|0
  • Uhhhhhh no. One is your body just growing and the other is you slathering chemicals and pastes on your face

1|0
    0|0
  • HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG... No! Make-up is made with chemicals combinations and beard is 10000000000000000000000000% REAL NATURAL FACIAL HAIR... NATURAL.

0|0
    1|0
    • Not true. a lot of the Richie people get their beards airbrushed if they don't have a thick full beard.
      Even crazy designs too.

• @Wraithguy Yea sure.

• Beards transcend makeup. A more accurate congruency would be beards and that good in the world which is worth fighting for.

1|0
    0|0
  • That guy is smoking hot

I have a beard because I'd look like a little boy without one =P

1|0
    0|0
  • In a way beard is comparable to makeup since it can alter your appearance. But the difference between beard and makeup is that beard is something people grows like head hair, but makeup is something you've to apply. I don't think it's a secret that both beard and hairstyle can both change a person's appearance to the unrecognizable and at the same time decorate a person's appearance.

Both beard, hairstyle and makeup can change how a head shape appear. It can make your face look slimmer or wider. A beard and makeup can also hide acne, wrinkles, make a jawline look more defined etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's in the sense it makes his face look better, yes.

2|0
    0|0
  • No becuase growing a nice beard takes time and patience amd a sing om manliness if you go back to our ancestors

1|0
    0|1
  • Makeup isn't natural. Having hair on your chin is like having hair on your head.

1|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 14

• No, because it grows naturally. If something is a part of your natural appearance it can't be makeup. That's like asking if Zendaya's eyebrows can be classified as makeup because they make her so beautiful, no baby, she was born that way.

1|2
    0|0
  • It completely changes the look of their face. It hides their true jawline.

Beards are lies.

If you wear a beard, you're being deceptive.

1|0
    0|0
  • Some girls wear makeup to look older.
    Some boys grow facial hair to cover up their baby face.

1|3
    0|0
    • I grow mine to keep face warm in winter and because I have a round face :(... It makes my face look slimmer or more chiseled when I have a beard, a trimmed one/

• It could be. A beard could make an average guy look a ton better. It could cover up skin imperfections. But it's not as common as makeup helps women.

1|1
    0|0
  • No !! They just wake up with the beard on their face every morning ! Us girls have to go through a time consuming process to apply makeup

1|1
    0|0
  • although it's natural, i mean in a certain context, yeah. if they style it and all that, i mean. i'm not into beards, that shit makes me itch lol

1|0
    0|0
    • How about a small amount of facial hair?
      Or do you prefer completely shaved?

• @Agent little bit is all good, sometimes especially so, i think. most who aren't big fans of facial hair can usually agree with that much; i just like to see his actual face. it can look good with only a bit that that isn't full on lumberjack but personal favorite is completely shaved all the way

• If he's handsome I like him more without beard, If he's not handsome beard can be like a make-up

1|0
    0|0
  • YASS! I love beard

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's really a comparison

1|0
    0|0
  • Not sure

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes...

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah and some can be better without makeup

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I know one guy and if he shaved off his beard, they'd literally have about thousand women chasing him down the sweet everyday , not gonna lie he's a total dick to me so I don't fancy him but I think him having a beard is a good thing for me because if he didn't I'd probably let him get away with it because he's so freaking HOT without a beard.

I do think It can work for some like Prince Harry but very rarely do I find them attractive, probably because my grandad has one and I'm traumatized by having to give him a kiss when I little on birthdays and stuff, there so unhygienic you can sometimes see bits of food in it and makes me just wanna vomit.

1|0
    0|0
    • Also I don't get guy's who have a beard but shave everything else id prefer it the other way personally

• we devise new ways to be sexist every day

1|0
    0|2

Recommended myTakes