What is your experience with dreadlocks, would you recommend them?

I've been reading up on how they're done and what it takes to take care of them, but seeing as I've never had them I'd like to know your experience!What is your experience with dreadlocks, would you recommend them??

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I have never wore them. I did have hair down to the middle of my back tho. My nephew had dreads and I spent some time in Jamaica. West end of Negril.
    Rasta central. I know in till they are true dread locks. there is a window when it looks horrible, unkept. Then when its all fully dreaded washing and drying takes a while. Then there is the hair breaking at the smell
    It does not look very appealing of course but if kept up properly I guess the look kind of good (look)
    Good luck to you if that's the path your gonna take. Watch out for the ๐Ÿž๐Ÿœ๐Ÿ› bugs.๐Ÿ›๐Ÿœ๐Ÿž

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks, and yes I know people think they're gross but I'm honestly in love with them.

• That's cool. its your hair hun. Go for it. I'm sure you'll keep them kept and most likely they will look good on you... When your all dreaded out , post a pic of them please? Namaste!

Most Helpful Girl

• they are so cool but growing your own can kinda be risky if you don't want them for a long period of time. If you do get them professionally done. But warning they get really heavy when wet.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• it's gonna take time, you have to take care of it, it will look nice no matter what. Start asking and taking advice from those who has dreads or had. Ask at barber shop what you need to think of before getting dreads and so on, how to clean it, how to keep it in the shape you want and so on

1|0
    0|0
  • they look gross and they are dirty. You can't wash your hair if you have dreadlocks and keep them on. Most keep them on and don't wash their hair. So it makes people who have dreadlocks look dirty and unhygenic

0|0
    1|0
  • It really depends. Dreadlocks on people really are demanding. And only a select few can pull them off too. You also may get people angry at you for stealing their races traditions etc.

2|2
    1|0
    • I would laugh if someone was actually offended by a hairstyle, I might also feel sorry for them.

• Show All
    • A lot of people are offended by hairstyles. I understand why.

• It's not the hairstyle.. It's because of poor race relations.. If people were more on one accord then "offense over a hairstyle" wouldn't be a problem.. But most people don't seem to understand..

• They turn me off, I don't know why. I've never worn them nor have I ever considered getting them.

0|0
    1|0
  • I have them, and they are pretty easy to take care of once they are set in and locked.. Then again I don't know how it will be for yo type of hair.. But for many "Black" people it's real easy to take care of once they set in..

0|0
    0|0
  • They look trampy tbh, I like edgy girls but dreadlocks is just... urgh.

0|1
    0|0
  • Itโ€™s not a look many people can pull off, but hey go for it.

1|1
    0|0
  • That style has always been endorsed through hippies mostly. It's cool to represent but not for any social insecurity reasons.

0|0
    0|0
  • They seem to be cared difficult in view of cleanliness...

0|0
    0|0
  • People should just stick with their natural hair.

0|0
    2|0
    • Or people should just do whatever they want to with their hair...

• Show All
    • You called someone a try hard for enjoying a hairstyle? Yes you're a dick.

• There is no universal truth about personal taste. You see it that way, others don't.

• I hate them on anyone. Always look nappy and dirty

3|2
    2|2
  • Why not just natural hair?

0|0
    0|0
  • I like them but never had them.

0|0
    0|0
  • It looks dirty

0|0
    0|0
  • Shhhhh sjws will hear ya. hahaha xP

0|0
    0|0
  • I've heard that bugs can grow in them. Though I'm pretty sure thats just the rastfarians whi grow them for several years.
    I would not like dreads on my head. I like being able to change my hairstyle when ever I want. I dont think I can do that with dreads

1|1
    1|0

What Girls Said 18

• As black as I am, I hate them and think they are a bad idea. Your hair falls out after while, huge chunks instead of strands when they are separated. I know many people keep them groomed and neat, but the idea of not being to take them apart and wash it makes my germaphobia act up. My hair is hard to care but I'd go bald before I lock it.

2|2
    0|0
  • Anyone who doesnโ€™t have natural hair does not have the right curl pattern to form true dreadlocks. White people end up having matted hair, and it looks terrible on them. If you have to jump through hoops to make a style work for you, itโ€™s obviously not meant for you, and you probably shouldnโ€™t do it.

0|2
    1|0
  • Whoo go for it girl!! Sadly I don't know much myself but I've always been fond of how unique there are. Just came to say if you want them don't let anyone stop you!!๐Ÿ˜‰

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the person I guess. I don't really care for them but to each their own. I saw a woman once who had them and she looked awful with dreads and I don't understand how she or anyone thought it was a good hair choice for her.

1|0
    0|0
  • Never had them, but I've seen females (and males) with them. Make sure you take care of them. They can go from neat and stylish to messy and "thrown-away", REAL quick. I like them, but I don't think I could pull them off.

1|1
    0|0
  • Itchy rlyyyy itchy. Like fr. Id suggest doing just a few in yout hair and seeing how it goes then if u have no issue do the rest

2|0
    0|0
  • I used to think they're cool when I was a teen, but now I don't find them appealing at all anymore. Anyway, you can either have them made professionally, then they use this super sticky paste that stays in forever and is pretty gross, or you can make them yourself by felting them. I suggest the latter.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never had them but I've wanted them. ๐Ÿ˜ญ I just know my parents would FREAK lol.

0|1
    0|0
  • no no no no no no dreadlocks are a big no they dont look good and get super dirty gross

0|1
    1|0
  • I think they look awful on white folks, as they're basically just dirty, matted hair when white folks do them, because our hair isn't textured enough to do it well.

1|0
    1|0
  • I had them! I went through a hippie vegan phase, and I got dreads. I loved them!!! <3

1|0
    0|1
  • My uncle has dreads and my boyfriend has dreads.
    They look good on them. Everyone canโ€™t pull them off.

1|0
    0|0
  • My cousin has them and they're mega cool!!!

1|0
    0|0
  • takes lots of time to maintain

1|1
    0|0
  • Are you homeless? ๐Ÿ˜‚

0|0
    1|0
  • They itch really bad

1|0
    0|0
  • My friend got dreads in high school.. it was kinda gross since he couldnโ€™t wash his hair and he said it itched a ton at first due to built up oils on his scalp. He eventually got used to that oily feeling and the weight of the dreads after a while though, and it did really suit his face lol so I guess it was worth it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I saw a piece of someone's dreadlocks fall off their head from their friend simply playing with it in their hands for a while. They were so upset because that's natural hair just easily falling off! I was shocked. I didn't know it was so easy.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes