Do you judge people based on their appearance?

I do not wear makeup or dress in fancy clothes. my style is very bland/boyish. some people judge me and expect me to be all preppy and feminine and put in effort into how i look though im not interested in attracting people or following the latest trends. do you judge people like this? or no?

0|2

Most Helpful Guy

• I would judge you for that, yes. Clothing and style is how we identify people's place in society. You not caring about your image tells me that you have some growing up to do before I would take you seriously.

1|0
    0|0
    • Wait a second. Just because someone doesn't put on makeup or wear the latest clothes means they don't care about themselves? Not wearing the latest trends does not equal being filthy or neglectful. It does however, say something about a person who is always up on the latest style and is as fake as can be. That's superficial and vain.

• Show All
    • Preppy clothes still don't equal well-dressed...

• @cherryphi82 She said caring about style in general, not just preppy styles.

Most Helpful Girl

• A bit... it's ingrained by now by society...
    But only if someone has a comb over, if they dress terribly for their body shape or if they dress in clothes way too small for them...
    Something like that...

I wish I didn't judge people that tiny bit based on looks, but I have to admit I sometimes do... and I try to control it, and never comment with other people.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 39

• Honestly, I'd say that "judging people by their looks" is normal human behaviour. Simply because someone who doesn't know much about you doesn't have much else to go by. So a stranger's initial opinion of you would inevitably have to be based on your looks. As someone gets to know you better, your looks will matter less.

However, looks and preferences are very subjective. Different people are attracted to different things. Don't try to dress up to please people.

Looks are a form of self expression. A way of communicating an idea to other people. It is a kind of language. Much like regular spoken language, being honest is better than lying. Express yourself.

Either way, some people will like what you are communicating, others will not. Those who do might maybe be people you'd want in your life. Those who hate you for what you are expressing... you almost certainly would not.

Also, people's perception of your looks changes as they get to know you better. There is a girl i know that i started to find quite physically attractive after i got to know her, because i like her personality.

If anything, I personally find girls that act and dress up to the "girly" stereotype to be fairly unattractive. I find it very fake. I find that girl in the supermarket wearing pajamas and no makeup looking like she just got out of bed a lot more attractive at first glance. Because she is being open and genuine and honest and I find that very attractive. It is all about the idea that you are communicating.

People dress up the way they think they look good. Nobody intentionally wants to look bad. These things mean different things to different people. This is why looks can be a good hint about a person and why it is natural for strangers to use them as a first impression. As i said, it is about expressing an idea. When you realise and embrace this, you quickly see that "people judging you for your looks" isn't such a bad thing after all. 😉

Hope I could help you. 😊

Since you asked me about whether i personally "judge people by their looks": when I look at people, i try to understand and appreciate what they are expressing about themselves. With strangers, it can be a decent first impression. With my friends, it doesn't matter much, because i value them for different reasons, but i still try to appreciate that aspect of them. For a potential sex partner, ofc i want to find them physically attractive. 😄

1|0
    0|0
  • Everybody does. Even the liars who say they wouldn't. Every human being has innate prejudices whether we like it or not. But don't fret. It's not your fault. Really. Millions of years of evolution has programmed you to make an assessment of everyone you interact with as a possible ally, enemy, or mate within a few seconds.

1|0
    0|0
  • Everyone will judge you a tiny bit. Maybe judge just sounds nasty. People will look at how you present yourself and make assumptions.
    Your appearance is basically a bill board advertising who you are to the world, and what you do with that selling space tells the world a great deal about you.
    People in different sectors will look for certain things.
    This isn't necessary a positive/negative situation. It's just life.

1|0
    0|0
  • Call me shallow, but yes, in regards for comparability. I must be attracted to her. However, my last ex, my most serious relationship, I decided to change things up & go for personality. Worked so so. She was always comparing herself to my ex's from Dallas that were 8, 9 & 10's. She wasn't ugly, she was jyst... 175lbs. Never had a parter who weighed more than 140lbs. It caused major issues. She had major self-esteem issues

1|0
    0|0
  • It would be hard to say I don't. I think that most of the time appearance tell a lot about a person. I do not get attracted to girls that wear a lot of make up or always dress up like going to the club.

1|0
    0|0
  • No what's the point in that? As a guy with now tattoos and gauges a lot of people judge that I'm a bad person for whatever reason I'm guessing cause of my appearance and yet I'd rather help then hurt anyone.

1|0
    0|0
  • I like people who are not shallow, people who have something in them to keep interested. Right now I am going out with a girl who dub for cartoon characters. I love when she mimics those characters, there is no unfunny time with her

1|0
    0|0
  • I judge people for doing stupid shit. Not for living their own lives. You are doing just fine.

2|0
    0|0
  • Our minds automaticly judge people some may speack it out and some my hide it, at the end that dose not matter. Dress as who you are or who you want to be and thats it its your life do what you want

1|0
    0|0
  • Na it's all about the way you do things that's how I judge people

3|1
    0|0
  • I do, also based on behavior - movements, the speech

1|0
    0|0
  • Obviously, if you don't know someone, your only option is to make guesses. I would judge TF out of you loo

1|0
    0|0
  • People always judge, it's just something that happens. I dress how I m comfy so why shouldn't anybody else

1|0
    0|0
  • There is always some point of contact.. usually people see u first before establishing communication with u... it's true that one should not be judged by appearance but it's also true that person appearance reflect what he think and how he/she want to present hersekf/himself.. so whatever ur style is u should be as per the environment u r in.. u cannot go naked in public how much u not care about what people think... in our part of world there is a saying that wear what other likes and eat what u like... rest i hope i cleared ur opinion.. yes indeed no one can judge u completely or solely on ur appearance such people are not worthy...

1|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes. Right now I'm so focus I don't have time to think for nothing else.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope that's one thing about me i don't judge people by appearances.

1|0
    0|0
  • All the time, and if they can’t take it I don’t care

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not, but I can understand why people judging you like this.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't judge people for that but I prefer more feminine girls

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes we all judge if anybody would say NO he or she , would be lying.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 18

• I sometimes do it

1|0
    0|0
  • regardless of your fashion sense you should put at least some effort into how you look out of respect for yourself as well as others in your environment. While I dont judge people based on their appearance, I will question (to myself) a persons end goal in what they've chosen to wear.

1|0
    0|0
  • Everyone is going to say no, but they're lying. Everyone judges their surroundings and the items in it (including people) based on their appearance. If you look like you don't care, people will assume you don't. If you look dirty, people will think you're dirty. Etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not necessarily judge, but make a first impression that might come with stereotypes/prejudice. Appearance is the first thing I see, so it's inevitable to form thoughts based on it.

1|1
    0|0
  • Hardly. It isn't important to me, what matters is how they treat others and what kind of vibe they give.

2|0
    0|0
  • Nah not really unless they are really less-without such as "its called a shower" besides that nope why?

1|0
    0|0
  • I will judge people based on their appearance without realising most of the time, it's like a natural thing to do. Being 5'2, I will straight away become intimidated by girls much taller than me with long slender legs although I don't mean to feel that way. I must say tho, if you can pull off "the look" no matter what that look may be, my judgement will tend to not be negative.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think everyone makes a psychological judgement based on someone's appearance, I know I do, not in a horrible way, and I would never stop that from me thinking someone was a nice person. But yeah most people judge

0|0
    0|0
  • Obviously... everyone does. Weather we take it as something important or not is different. But appearances tell us so much about people.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am if I'm going to date them. Sometimes you can also tell things about a person from their appearance, maybe they dress tomboyish or wear a shirt with a logo on it. Aside from that, no.

0|0
    0|0
  • I usually don’t, but sometimes I can’t help it. I try not to.

1|0
    0|0
  • To me they judge cause they hate themselves in order to make themselves about them themselves they tare others down.

1|0
    0|0
  • I do, but I usually domt care enough to get to know the person

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah subconsciously

1|0
    0|0
  • I do. But not for the reasons you mentioned.

1|0
    0|0
  • Most people will.

1|0
    0|0
  • No I don't because I hate some people who did that

1|0
    0|0
  • I probably do at first, but when I get to know you better I learn to appreciate you.
    I know it's bad.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes