Why do people put themselves down so much about their looks?

I've never really understood it.

The people that do so, are not even bad looking. There's beauty in everyone, inside and out. Making yourself feel bad about a factor you can't control is no good for anyone, mostly yourself. Because you focusing on what you think you can't be, and not focusing on what you can be.

4171

Most Helpful Guys

• There is always a doubt in someones mind wether they are beautiful good looking smart kind etc but some of them have been bullied or belittled by the way they look
    For example i am not a tall person i am only 170cm (about 5.7) i get belittled all the time of my height and on top of that i look like a 13 year old boy and many mocks me because of those factors so i doubted myself cause i wasn't that tall and i didn't look like my age so i doubted that i would ever make friends my age and get a job :P but now i have friends my age and a job :P and i am happy i am not that tall and look young cause its a blessing (sometimes a curse if i go to club orso)

• Thats nice :)

Don't worry about your height I'm 5 foot 1 and I look like I'm 12 but it doesn't bother me :)

• He's like 5 inches taller than me now😂

• Good for him

• I guess because they have low self-esteem and they to compare themselves to other people. They don't have confidence in themselves due to this. Though beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Most Helpful Girls

• Probably 'cause there are so many standards we should 'live by' or rather that's what we're told to believe. Shaving or other people will look at you like you're crazy. Looking good or else noone will like you. Things like that get imprinted on us early on. F. e. the dolls we had when we were younger whether that be super hero's or barbies. They look perfect and create some image in your head of how the world should be like. Sure your family loves you for who you are (as they are family) but what about people you don't have that blood tie with?

We judge others on a daily base. Everyone does it, even unconciously. See a new kid in school? You check their clothes, demeanor, are they alone? So of course as that new kid in school you know you'll stand out and do your best to leave a lasting first impression.

Of course you're 100% correct that beauty is subjective and that it's not just outward appearance. But reality is that most people (especially now with social media) don't intend to look further than skin.

• I always compare myself I guess For me it’s because guys always thought I was ugly back in the day so now ever since my ex cheated on me and broke up with me after 3 years together. My confidence is literally on the floor and I’m always comparing myself while always feeling unattractive and worthless to be honest