Do you think a girl should have a "beach body" to be able to wear a bikini?

So I wouldn't say I was thin or fat, I'm somewhere in between and I thought what the hell I've never wore a bikini before and I've lost some weight from dieting and exercising. I have a bit of a tummy and big thighs but I should be confident there's plenty of bigger girls than me who can get away with it and no one cares.

So the delivery came today and I tried it on, I was slightly dreading how bad I was going to look but I wasn't sure, I didn't look terrible you could just see my belly a little but I felt fat and self conscious about it so sent it back and yes you can send back bikinis as I bought it from Asos and they let you just as long as you leave the sticker in. I thought maybe later in the year if I see a nicer bikini and I loses some more weight I'll buy a new one before my holiday in September.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Not at all. We're surrounded by all kinds of bodies. I'm friends with this group of older ladies (by older, I mean older than me) and they regularly go to the beach or pool in their bikinis, and they look nothing like what society and the media is constantly trying to tell you what a woman should look like before she can even consider wearing a bikini. And, these ladies couldn't care less. They're all about enjoying their lives and having fun with each other and a bikini to them is just another clothing option at the beach or pool (I've been told it's more convenient than a one-piece). And you know what? That confidence is very attractive. That unabashed joie de vivre.

Every body is a beach body. The tip of getting a bikini body is to wear a bikini on your body.

0|0
    0|0
  • I never understood the stigma and insecurity girls felt about this.
    Firstly, If you are just going to the beach to show off your body, then of course you'll feel unsure about wearing a bikini. Because once you start comparing yourself to other people, of course you'll lose. There is always someone better than you at something.
    But if you are genuinely just going to have fun and mind your own business, wear what you want.
    Who gives a shit how other girls see you? You could be 800lbs, as long as you like it, it's functional and comfortable for you, and not over the top in extravagance, be confident and wear it proudly. Show yourself off. Hell, know what? I'm 22, hairy, and on the muscular side. Gimme a pair. I'll wear it to the beach. I'd prefer notmal shorts, but I'll legit do it to prove a point. Fuck "beach bodies". Fuck what people think. It's your body, so you feel about it however you want. if you like it the way it is, and you FEEL healthy the way you are going, stop caring what other people think. Guys or girls. They're opinion doesn't matter.

0|0
    0|0
    • The saddest part is, it’s not about girls insecurities. It’s about guys’ judgmental attitudes.

• Show All
    • And yes, most guys do care about what a girl looks like. That’s why it’s extremely rare for a guy to date an ugly and/or fat girl.

I see more models dating ugly/fat guys than male models dating ugly/fat girls.

• And that’s also why girls have extreme insecurities about how they look and their body hair. Smh.

Most Helpful Girls

• Hey, don't worry so much... I wouldn't call myself fat either, I have big things since I practiced sports and they are muscular... Is nothing much I can do about it, working out more won't make them slimming, I would only gain more muscle.. And they are covered in stretch marks and scars from self harming years ago... An yo know what? I own it, confidence is what makes you beautiful, wear that bikini like is your battle suit... If I don't feel comfortable, I would wrap a scarf around my hips, like a skirt, and all the insecurity would disappear along the day... If you don't feel comfortable showing your tummy try a one pice set... And you still can be sexy and beautiful, every time I wear a bikini, people say om very attractive, because of the confidence I wear it with, embrace your body, your not fat, you're thick and who doesn't like a thick goddess?

0|0
    0|0
  • Doesn't matter if you're 500 to 50pounds. You should be allowed to wear whatever you want to as long as YOU are comfortable. I've see people who are 300 pounds and still rocking it. We need to stop judging others because of their weight and start loving them for who they are. If you don't like it, don't look at it.

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 129

• I think we can all agree here that maybe some people shouldn't be wearing a bikini.

Just as some men shouldn't wear a speedo. Try telling your 90yo grandfather to not wear his speedo at the beach and to stop trying to pose for the young babes, haha 😅

0|0
    0|0
  • Excuse the French but I think it's bullcrap for a girl to be 'model type small' in order to wear a bikini.

Everyone's perfect and beautiful in their own way, so trying to be something for the sakes of peeps opinion just bad for yourself.

Dont do it for others ~ stay pretty

1|0
    0|0
  • wear whatever you feel comfortable in... id say rock the bikini thicker girls are still allowed to wear a bikini i personally think it hot... just have to buy one that suits your body and makes you feel confidant

0|0
    0|0
  • Nahh.. You can wear one whenever you want to and however your body shape is like. Body shaming will be there but u don't have to heed to such people. Ignore and enjoy the beach.. that's what everyone comes for right after all.. So don't worry you are perfect the way you are!!! <3
    As Selena has said ," who says who says you are not perfect? Who says you are not worth it? who says you are not beautiful?1. who says?
    Cheers and keep smiling hun :D

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you should just wear what the hell you want and not worry so much about what others will think. You won't meet the people again and they probably won't even care anyway, since they will be enjoying the beach with their families, etc and won't worry about what a stranger is wearing for the whole day.

0|0
    0|0
  • I apologize for the irrelevant comment but how come people wear bikinis to the beach and not to the office, cause both are public places and a bikini is revealing and sexually inappropriate in either case, just that it is not culture to do so in an office but norm in a western beach.

0|0
    0|1
    • It's like, a girl who shows up at a wedding on a bikini may feel ashamed or embarassed not just because it is irrelevant clothing but also because ii is being practically on undies, but that for some weird reason does not happen at the beach; is it because many others are also sort of nude and prhaps that implies some sort of appropriateness? Does that not seem nonsensical, like guys covering the chest appropriately, perhaps going as far as constricting their necks with a tie, and many women flaunting their cleavage as a norm, sometimes with only their nipples covered (I wonder how soon it may be that covering their chests might become irrelevant and be considered an overly conservative or an old school practice; talk about civilization going backwards, decivilization, do they call it?)?

• I think a girl can wear what she wants so long as she is comfortable in it.
    Also, I would hope you can send back something you got online or from a catalog... it wouldn't make sense otherwise. Could you imagine if they didn't allow you to return things? People would be very disappointed and I'm sure the companies would lose business rather than keeping customers.

0|0
    0|0
  • No.
    You shouldn't have to look like a model to wear a bakini. An average girl who is slightly chunky but is gifted with large breasts is sexy as hell on the beach.

What bothers me is women who are overly obese and doing that type of thing. Thats not cool. In other words... not just anybody should be showing the goods.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think as long as she isn't so anorexic to where it's like Eugenie Cooney or she isn't extremely obese I don't care. For you I think you're definitely fine to be wearing a bikini. Having a little bit of a tummy I think looks cute on a girl and having big thighs is attractive. If you want to lose weight go ahead but I think it's fine already based off of what you've described it is.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's preferred, but somebody that prefers bigger body types may love it.

It's definitely a good goal that you're setting for yourself, it's both a physical and visual reminder and when the day comes that it feels good you'll melt from happiness at your achievement.

Reminds me of a yoplait yogurt commercial where a women set up a yellow polka-dot bikini by her front door because seeing it everyday kept her motivated

1|0
    0|0
  • Wear a bikini, don't wear a bikini, there really isn't anything anyone can do about it.

Let's be truthful though, some people are too fat for a one piece. I'm not saying you are, just some people. And even women who are fit wear overly revealing bathing suits. It's ridiculous.

0|0
    0|0
  • You should be comfortable in your own skin. Wear what you like to the beach. It's no one's business but yours. And you're right no one cares, it's the beach.
    It's a pity you didn't stick to your decision to wear it. Women shouldn't be shamed because of their size and or body shape.

0|0
    0|0
  • bikini is a swimsuit, a "suit" you use to swim, which means you wear it when you intend to go somewhere for swimming, so it doesn't matter if you're fit or fat that's first, second losing weight is being healthy it's not only for appearance !
    and finally don't live for people, live for your self !

0|0
    0|0
  • Really skinny bony girls look awful in a bikini. Fuller figure ones look great, especially with nice sturdy thighs. I mean if morbidly obese and big rolls of fat bulging out, then would be better to wear a summer dress. If only slightly overweight though, I think it looks really sexy. The stomach doesn't have to be perfectly flat either, still nice.

0|0
    0|0
  • see working on your body is always good... however carrying a dress on yourself is absolutely a mind game.. its the right kind of bikini and the color that should match your skin tone that matters... rest many beautiful models are there who are chubby yet amazing

1|0
    0|0
  • Seriously... Wear the bikini.. There is nothing wrong with wearing what you want to wear at the beach unless there is some kind of rule against it.. like nude beaches.. Bottom line is if you feel comfortable in it what any one else thinks about it doesn't matter.

0|0
    0|0
  • If bikini's were for beach body girls then there's only one size for that, but as we have many sizes you don't need to get a body like that. Remember BIKINI IS ONLY FOR BODY BUT BODY isn't ONLY FOR BIKINI.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say that it doesn't matter what your body type is. What matters is how you feel wearing it. If you feel comfortable wearing the bikini others can tell. And i like it when people dress and be just like they want to because thats just who they are and what they want. I might not always like how it looks, but i will always like the fact that its who they are and not who they think the world and others want them to be or look like.

1|0
    0|0
  • Simple response is how would you feel wearing it. If your comfortable with wearing it in public then go for it. If your self conscious about it, try something that will compliment your style. Confidence goes a long way with attraction. Guys love girls that are confident in their skin.

0|1
    0|0
  • Objectively speaking it really doesn't matter. No one will care. What matters is how you feel. If you think it will feel awful, then don't do it. If you think you can power through it and you will enjoy it afterwards, go ahead. What matters if whether you are happy or not doing it. Other people can fuck off

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 63

• I don't think a beach body has anything to do with wearing a bikini, given you wear the right size and wear it at the appropriate place.

Bikinis are not for showing off our bodies, they are swimwear. They are the attire you wear when you have to swim.
    Its a whole different cause if you are wearing to show off your body.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not necessarily, but close as possible to avoid too much embarrassment.

0|0
    4|1
  • You definitely don't need a "bikini body" to wear a bikini. Honestly, it makes me so happy and inspired and it makes me want to be more comfortable in my own skin and just have fun when I see beautiful curvy women in bikinis. I've seen girls hide their bodies so much and it makes me so sad because they were all so beautiful. You've worked out and dieted, so celebrate your hard work! Buy a bikini, have fun on the beach!

0|1
    0|0
  • No, that’s absolute bullshit. Every girl should be able to wear a bikini regardless of what they look like. If you go to the beach, you should focus on having fun with your friends, listen to some good music or maybe read a good book. You only have one life to live on this planet, so why not make the most of it and enjoy it and yourself as much as possible? If someone judges you for wearing a bikini, then they’re fucking stupid and not worth knowing anyway.

1|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • Agreed. But I dislike FEMINAZIS pushing the agenda that I should like morbidly obese women.

• @Trollfather i’ve literally never seen that but ok

• Most people don't care if they are beach body or not, I see tons of women and women who go to the swimming pool without shirts or in two piece. For me, personally, there's no way in hell I'm wearing a two piece cause I don't have the figure for it since i have larger thighs and lower tummy. I will only wear one piece swim suit or t shirt with pants.

0|1
    0|0
  • How to have a beach body:

1. Put on a bikini.
    2. Go to the beach.

6|1
    0|0
  • Wear whatever the hell you want as long as you're not violating any sort of local ordinance.

You never see guys out there worrying if they should be squeezing their asses into speedos, because they don't give a fuck, and neither should you.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's about feeling comfortable and confident in yourself. There will always be haters out there, especially between females, but it shouldn't phase you if you feel good in what you're wearing. I'm a very curvy, thick girl myself and I'm very active and love to be in the water... so naturally I have a need for a lot of swim wear. I only wear bikinis. Sure girls have said shitty things to me, but guys dont take their eyes off me ;-). Rock your body, and dont think about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • There's a limit... You sound perfectly fine, it's just these severely obese people who really just don't need to be wearing bikinis. And if you do wear one, wear one that fits, so that you aren't walking around with one lip in and the other out, or a boob flying loose. A little tummy is fine, everyone has one.

0|0
    0|0
  • you wear whateer the fuck you want
    women are just preassured more
    do you see guys with bear belly everywhere not giving a fuck?
    noone calls them out, so why would you bother?

2|1
    0|0
  • EVERY body is a beach body.

You shouldn't wear something you're not comfortable in. However, I don't think anyone on the beach is going to judge you for wearing a bikini. Plus, people who judge other people for looks are obviously people whose opinions have no merit anyways.

Before I became more comfortable with how I look I would wear a bikini top with swim shorts. So you can always take baby steps to get there!

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell to the no. If you want to go to the beach and have some good time I don't know why you should care about how you look like to other people. Yes bodies at their ideal weight, shape and fitness level look the best but it doesn't mean that nobody else can wear bikini, that's so fucking stupid. What next, people with small earlobes or 'weird looking' ears can't have ear piercings and wear earrings?

1|0
    0|0
  • No, you also just want to have fun, it's hot outside, just wear the bikini.
    I think people should wear whatever they want and whatever makes them feel good about them selves and makes them happy.

1|0
    0|0
  • Dress for your body.. you dont feel you need to be i fitness model shapec to bare a bikini. But if you're confident enough to rock a bikini.. rock that bikini.. if not. One piece suits can look great too

0|0
    0|0
  • Express yourself. Forget about the public might think and do what makes you happy. And if you feel self conscious then rock a superhero pose for like 5 mins and tell yourseld you are beautiful then wear it to the beach!!!

0|2
    0|0
  • Literally no on gives a damn but you and nosy people. It's the beach so of course you wear a bikini even if you look Like Resputia, we really don't care.

0|1
    0|0
  • All bodies are beach bodies. Dress your body how you like.

1|1
    0|0
  • You’re beautiful just they way you are. When it comes to beachwear, or anything for that matter, if you feel confident and comfortable that’s all that matters! Put on that bikini and go have fun! Life is too short to be stressing about how others will look at or judge you. Be you, be confident.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely no!
    If you want to wear, wear it even you obese or anorexia
    Its your body. its your life. Its your wish.
    Do what you wanna, never care about other people's opinions.
    Life is too short!

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on where you're from...
    I think in most countries in southern Europe and in south America it would probably be weird if you didn't wear a bikini, regardless of your body shape.

0|0
    0|0
    • Besides, what kind of tan will you get in a full bathing suit? unless you just go there to swim.

• More from Girls

Recommended myTakes