How important is having a small waist?

The rage right now is having a small waist, and unfortunately, i do not have one. I have large hips and breast but my waist is only a 4-6 inch difference from them. I have curves but nothing crazy like media makes it out to be now days. Is it really that important?
Im not overweight whatsoever, just athletically built

59

Most Helpful Guy

• I'll go with azzntittiz (nice pun!) on this, particularly on the relation of cortisol and an overachieving abdominal area. Drop some carbs, add some protein, add some exercise. It's more that a trim gut is a sign of good overall health and that the individuals care about themselves, rather than a specific algorithm for the most desirable measurements.

• Got it. So since im already thin, im all good then?

• General, overall good health is the goal. Many highly-mucled athletes with minimal fat, actually test in the high-end of many body fat/mass/ measurement systems due to their weight (high since muscle is more dense than adipose/fat tissue) but are really healthy showing that most of the measurement algorithms have their shortcomings. The "gold standard" for body fat percentage measurements is "hydrostatic underwater weighing". The thinness/heaviness continuum is only one measurement. Your doctor would be the best one to ask about your individual case.

Most Helpful Girl

• It gives a more defines shape and makes your clothes fit better, plus people with belly fat are more prone to a lot of health problems. I am skinny but my mid section is often fatty, not too bad until I sit down. But it's a sign of getting diabetes which runs in my family, so keeping your midsection trimmed is a good idea.

• That makes sense. Im not overweight at all, just have a larger bone structure and more muscle mass from being so athletic.

• Oh cool, just do mild waist training, don't go crazy because it caused the ribs to cave in and squash the organs which is dangerous. I think doing it in moderation will do you good. You can also focus on exercises that make the hips, legs and butt more built, it will give an illusion of a smaller waist.

• i think it's worth saying that you can't actually target burn fat, though. What's important is being in a healthy bmi and eating well (and hopefully exercising haha), but some people happen to gain fat mostly in their midsection, or have a more rectangular shaped upper body. as long as you're healthy, there's nothing wrong with not having a super defined waist.

hourglass bodies are very sought after, but really health is the most important thing. I had to drop 15 lbs underweight to have a flat stomach, but it wasn't worth the damage to my health!