How important is having a small waist?

The rage right now is having a small waist, and unfortunately, i do not have one. I have large hips and breast but my waist is only a 4-6 inch difference from them. I have curves but nothing crazy like media makes it out to be now days. Is it really that important?
Updates:
Im not overweight whatsoever, just athletically built

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'll go with azzntittiz (nice pun!) on this, particularly on the relation of cortisol and an overachieving abdominal area. Drop some carbs, add some protein, add some exercise. It's more that a trim gut is a sign of good overall health and that the individuals care about themselves, rather than a specific algorithm for the most desirable measurements.

0|0
    0|0
    • Got it. So since im already thin, im all good then?

• General, overall good health is the goal. Many highly-mucled athletes with minimal fat, actually test in the high-end of many body fat/mass/ measurement systems due to their weight (high since muscle is more dense than adipose/fat tissue) but are really healthy showing that most of the measurement algorithms have their shortcomings. The "gold standard" for body fat percentage measurements is "hydrostatic underwater weighing". The thinness/heaviness continuum is only one measurement. Your doctor would be the best one to ask about your individual case.

Most Helpful Girl

• It gives a more defines shape and makes your clothes fit better, plus people with belly fat are more prone to a lot of health problems. I am skinny but my mid section is often fatty, not too bad until I sit down. But it's a sign of getting diabetes which runs in my family, so keeping your midsection trimmed is a good idea.

0|0
    0|0
    • That makes sense. Im not overweight at all, just have a larger bone structure and more muscle mass from being so athletic.

• Oh cool, just do mild waist training, don't go crazy because it caused the ribs to cave in and squash the organs which is dangerous. I think doing it in moderation will do you good. You can also focus on exercises that make the hips, legs and butt more built, it will give an illusion of a smaller waist.

• i think it's worth saying that you can't actually target burn fat, though. What's important is being in a healthy bmi and eating well (and hopefully exercising haha), but some people happen to gain fat mostly in their midsection, or have a more rectangular shaped upper body. as long as you're healthy, there's nothing wrong with not having a super defined waist.

hourglass bodies are very sought after, but really health is the most important thing. I had to drop 15 lbs underweight to have a flat stomach, but it wasn't worth the damage to my health!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• Not important at all.
    I like that my girlfriend has one, it means I can pick her up with my hands a large way around her, but I’m not going to discriminate against it.
    If you’re healthy, are a nice person, and fun to date, you could have a small or average waist and I wouldn’t care less.

2|0
    0|0
  • Im not overweight whatsoever, just athletically built. Sounds like something a fatty what say.🤔

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah it does. But im not lol. Im built very strong. A lot of muscle, very little fat. I have a lot of oblique muscles causing my waist to be larger than it could be

• Honestly what matters more is your proportions. Do you have good curves or bad ones? Is your waist accentuating your curves or squaring them off? You might need to lose weight. Its healthy and attractive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Small waist isn't inviting in my opinion.. Men need handles to ram women ;)

0|0
    0|0
  • I hate when women don't provide pics

0|0
    0|0
  • dont need that

0|0
    0|0
  • It is very sexy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Really important

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Its really irrelevant. Everyone has different bodies so I don't see why body shapes and sizes are becoming trends its ludicrous

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the guy but I see many girls who don't have small waist (square) and guys still think her body is hot/beautiful

0|0
    0|0
  • You can be attractive without a really small waist... as long as it isn't an overweight size of waist anyways... what's a small waist size btw?

0|0
    0|0
  • Wow, people are truly clueless on this post about the fact that an hourglass body shape (waist at least 9 inches smaller than bust and hips) is rare. 8% of women have it, so your waist only being 4-6 inches smaller than your bust and hips is not uncommon. And to any guy who thinks that a girl is fat because she doesn't have an hourglass figure: please don't reproduce.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes