How can I feel more confident without makeup?

I have acne, and as it has got progressively worse throughout high school I’ve gradually worn more and more makeup.

I enjoy applying and wearing makeup, and it makes me more confident, but I’ve got to the point where I’m insecure to let people (eg friends/my boyfriend) see me without it. This bothers me, and I’d like to think I could truly be myself around the people I know and trust.

I no longer feel like myself without makeup, and I wish I could sometimes have the confidence to go bare-faced without feeling insecure. Any advice?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Be yourself. Make sure that the people who you associate with are kind people who don't just like you for your appearance, if people make fun of you, laugh it off. Most of the time people make fun of others to hide their own insecurities or to make themselves feel better. Embrace who you are. You don't need makeup to feel better about yourself. I honestly prefer someone for who they really are. The girl I still love and want to be with I've told her time and time again not to wear makeup because I feel she's hiding her true beauty behind a mask when she wears makeup. Don't let them know and love you for the mask. Let them see beauty in your flaws. Because it's your flaws that make you perfect, and that make you who you are.

1|1
    0|0
  • Listen, what's making it worse is probably the make up all together and besides, you probably beautiful as hell and you don't normaly see it that way because like you said, you put more and more make up on over the years, let the real you come out and embrace it this be coming from a 16 year old dude by the way and that says sum caz how many dudes my age are like this? Just let the real you come out

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Hey, I’ve struggled with acne for 4 years now and I don’t have anymore.

I tried so many products and the natural ones always sort of helped me.

Now I use CELAVIVE from USANA. Their products were the best to get rid of mine.

I know it’s expensive but it’s really concentrated. A little goes a long way.

You don’t need to buy all the skincare line.

The essentials :

-Face wash
    -Toner
    -Sunscreen

If you have scars, buy the serum.

Hope it helped ! xx

2|0
    0|0
  • Take care of your skin: I'm not saying this to be cheeky, but I feel that this will help you. Covering your acne with makeup will be unhelpful at best, and will worsen your condition at worst. Along with any treatments you may be using already, your skin needs time to breathe.

Know that you're not the only one! Acne is common, and it's human. We all have different skin tones, textures, and needs. When I used to illustrate and animate, I would often give characters pimples and blemishes, because I felt that it gave them character, or even made them look cute.

Speaking of, it may help to try to accept that they're there, and work with it as a part of you until they get better. Develop a style that is unique or one that you think is cool. Wear a bold lip color, or a killer manicure. Get some eye-catching shoes. Take Care of your body anyway by eating right and being active. You were meant to shine, not hide behind some foundation. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Best to you!

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 25

• Have a man in your life that can tell you your beautiful with or without makeup on. Honestly I think most women are more attractive without makeup cuz most women go overboard.

1|2
    1|0
  • Seek professional care from a dermatologist. And don't give up on your efforts to be attractive.

Love can't start 'till attraction does. And then there needs to be a conversation.

1|1
    0|0
  • Just be yourself if a guy truly likes you he can ignore looks if he only wants you for your looks she's not worth your time he's a fuckboy that just wants to get into your pants

1|2
    0|0
  • Try communicating more with people it will make easier to be you without make up. Plus come out your comfort zone the next step is to take the leap to deal with things more easily

1|1
    0|0
  • By just doing it u grow confidence by it becoming normal in your head u hav3 allowed your identity to be linked to how u look with make up gotta change that

1|1
    0|0
  • Not using it... Use it only if you look like freddy kruger
    Dont use cuz you wanna surf the trend. I like girls with no make up.. even if they say im not pretty with out it how many guys real guys will take to make her believe that she looks better with no make up... The diference from looking someone to fuck or someone to love

0|1
    0|0
  • Just do it. If they hate on you for it then they aren't real friends and if your boyfriend hates on it, ditch him. You don't deserve that shit. You are beautiful just the way you are without make-up

1|1
    0|0
  • See no one can replace original you.. Dont put make up just eat healthy food drink more water and try to eat less oily food.. Your acne will go away by time.. And when u become original version of yourself than only you will find original people in your life 😊

0|0
    0|0
  • This might be bad advice, but just be yourself and be proud of it, it's a confidence booster to remember it doesn't matter.

1|1
    0|0
  • stand in front of the mirror and say i am beautiful... give your self some love girl , you'll see a good a result after a while doing this

1|1
    0|0
  • If you want to fix the acne, stop wearing makeup. you're just clogging your pores up and creating more acne by covering it. Wash your face daily and if you really want to, just do a little bit of makeup but not over the top full blown makeover

0|0
    0|0
  • Um yeah of course you can you're beautiful without makeup

1|1
    0|0
  • Get stuff to clear up your acne, makeup just makes acne worse

1|2
    0|0
  • try less and less make up everyday. for example one day have makeup A and makeup B applied. next day, only apply makeup A. next day none.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well one I believe that natural beauty makes every girl unique in there own way. 2 I have acne too but I really dont care about it why should I. 3 natural beauty makes a girl unique because of what in there mind they think is ugly I think is beauty because it makes them unique no other girl is going to have that same exact scar, sore or birth mark in that exact same place, in the exact same way. If i see someone and something is different and unique about them I look at them and wonder what happened to them I want to know the story behind it all. If I have a scar or something that is unusual about me and people start judging me about it I say screw them they aren't people I want to hang around with. If your girl/boyfriend or friends are going to judge on how you look, then they aren't friends.

1|0
    0|0
  • Tell yourself that qhat anyone says dosnt matter, the only person who can judge you is yourself

0|1
    0|0
  • One of my best friends had acne for years. She would wear make up when we would go out or when she went to work etc. At home she didn't wear any. But she was super self-conscious about it in public. Finally she went and got medical help because she didn't like the acne and she was tired of wearing so much makeup. In the end, it worked out very well for her. She now rarely wears make up and acne free. Acne is definitely treatable and if you are not a fan of it, I say talk to your doctor. Live your best life!

0|1
    0|0
  • Believe me, I had a crush on a very hot girl in my high school, and she has acne

0|0
    0|0
  • Did you try proactiv? It does work and clear off acne

0|0
    0|0
  • your more beautiful without make up... i promise

1|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 21

• I used to be like that as well, what helped me was to cut down on products little by little. Like every few days wear less stuff. When I was only down to foundation and powder, I changed it to lighter coverage ones. Though I still love makeup I'm okay not wearing it all the time anymore especially in front of my boyfriend.

4|1
    0|0
  • I've just started embracing who i am without , even though i dont wear it outside at all when I get acne I used to hide my face with my hand or just avoid people but slowly I started to just let people stare or ask questions about 'what's on my face' and just smile and let my acne be seen by anyone. At the end of the way almost everyone gets acne at a point in their lives , and it's not unnatural or weird. When I see a girl letting her natural beauty out , acne and scaring and all , its really inspiring and beautiful to me! There is nothing better than letting your face be free of makeup and letting your pores breath and letting your acne out there while you still smile and push through the day even if it makes you insecure. Acne doesn't make you any less of a worthy and wholesome human being , and chances are your friends dont judge you for the things you can't control and your boyfriend loves you for your features and your personality and who you are as a person and acne isn't going to change that.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, realize that you're a fucking person with a lot of flaws just like everyone else. So what you have acne? Does that make you less of a person? No. Fuck what people think. I used to think the same way but now I don't care. I'm beautiful and I don't give a fuck if you agree or not biiiiiiitch.

1|1
    0|0
  • Just try to wear lessee make up everyday maybe it's the make up itself that makes your face pro acne cause of the chemicals, clean your face often well without alcohol contents and be more on supplements rather than outside solutions, just apply lesser and lesser make up every day.

0|1
    0|0
  • A lot of the time, make up can make our skin worse, it cloges pours and our skin doesn't breath, try go without it, its a great feeling and use eucalyptus or tee tree oil on your face after washing it. It takes some time to get used to the bare-face feeling but its awesome once you embrace it!

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm in medical field and would highly suggest that you go for treatment if you can afford it as the best investment you can ever do is to take care of your skin.

The less the acne the less insecure and the need for make you'll feel.
    There is a brand that I've seen tons of happy patients using called Alba bonitica AcneDote range. I've seen good improvements using it.

0|2
    0|0
  • The thing that was causing my severe facial acne was my foundation. I quit using it and now I rarely get acne. If you can do that for a week or two while you get rid of current pimples you’ll probably see a difference.

1|1
    0|0
  • Just know that you aren't the first; nor the last to have acne. It's VERY common to have acne during your teenage years. A lot of people struggle with it.

Just remind yourself that this is normal. You are not alone. You are still beautiful. Wearing make-up isn't bad, but don't let it take over.💗

1|0
    0|0
  • Well I have acne too but I don't wear makeup only occasionally.. But I can advise you to look at yourself at the mirror and compliment yourself and believe at what your saying, it's just a psychological sight so you can work on it, and day by day your confidence will increase

1|0
    0|0
  • Try doing some kind of masks and take care of youself if you feel beautiful people around you will feel it too try to take care of youself skin etc eat more healty or you can also visti a dermatologist or whatever its called and last but not least try to make tour own pamper routine (google it to get some ideas) andddd DRinK WAtEr KIDDOS

1|1
    0|0
  • Just stop wearing it. Get urself used to looking in the mirror and seeing urself without makeup. Go 3 or 4 months and dont wear any, and then you'll be more used to seeing ur face bare

1|1
    0|0
  • Girl I'm in your shoes but I'm currently receiving medical help and I'm strongly recommending that you do as well, because nothing else will help it. I get more confident ever day, but it's a long process. You WILL get over it eventually. Growing up helps your confidence anyhow, because you see the real importance of life and your view on beauty will change. Use makeup if you want to. Go without it if you want to. Just do what YOU want because it's YOUR healing process. In that way you'll be happier. Don't go without makeup just because you feel a pressure or need to. Don't go with makeup for the same reasons. All the best x

2|1
    0|0
  • Stop putting makeup on.
    I felt like that when I was 14. I decided to stop wearing it. And here I am.
    It’s hard, because people are not used to seeing your bare face, and you don’t like the way you look without it.
    But once you’ve stopped putting makeup on for a while, you’ll feel good about yourself. Because you’ll go to bed, and when you wake up you won’t be like ‘ wow I’m ugly without makeup on’ mainly because you’re not wearing it anymore.
    Anything that makes you feel good, and once you take it off makes you feel bad about yourself, should not be used by you anymore.
    So I encourage you to take that step, and be you. Because it’ll change your life. At least it changed mine. Haha

1|1
    0|0
  • I have always been more of a skin care person. Perhaps taking more care of your skin? I enjoy wearing skin masks and cleansing regularly. This might help with confidence!

0|1
    0|0
  • You have to realize that acne is an imperfection and it's okay to have those. You can have acne and still be attractive. You have to see yourself as beautiful

0|0
    0|0
  • If your acne is extreme and is ruining your self esteem best way to deal with it seeing a really good dermatologist that will prescribe effective medication for you.

Personally I dont want to use meds as I hate ingesting these antibiotics as they give me scary side effects & im paranoid. But i did see a lot of people trying them and have no or little side effects and have cleared their skin. I have mild acne on my cheeks sometimes it effects me and i feel like wearing makeup, other times i accept it and think it makes me look more attractive/youthful lol.

If acne is in your genes like me it should go away eventually.

I wish you the best!

Anyway!

0|1
    0|0
  • Putting more make up on is going to make it worse, as it is just going to clog up your pores when you need your skin to breathe.

Learn to love yourself, because you only get one skin and one body and you need to embrace that.

It's hard to be confident in front of others, but I'm sure that if you wore no make up, or maybe started out wearing less, they won't even notice the difference the way that you think they will.

Nobody is going to point and laugh at you because at the end of the day, they are your friends/boyfriend and they're just not going to be that mean. Also, always remember that they also have things that make them insecure about themselves but have you noticed them that much? Probably not, and it will be the same the other way around.

1|1
    0|0
  • Sometimes I feel like having a skin care routine helps me feel like my skin is better, I don't have really bad acne so I wouldn't be able to tell you about that. Maybe try gradually putting less make up... Maybe only covering acne that bothers you and blending it and putting a bit of eyeliner or whatever and slowly getting used to a more "natrual" look. Aside from that I feel like sometimes the best way is forcing yourself out of a comfort zone (surley but slowly), not wearing makeup with good friends is a good start for example :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Cordison

0|0
    0|0
  • Gradually get more and more used to not wearing make up and let your confidence start to shine through. You’ll start to notice the positive difference the more you do it.

1|1
    0|0
    • First try it in places where make up is less worn, like a swimming pool and so on, just to ease you in at first if it helps.

• Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes