Are Instagram trends seen as attractive in the real world?

What I mean is that, you know how people on the platform have weird-unique styles and post pictures of themselves (example: lots of tattoos, hair dyes, female buzz cuts, no eyebrows, dark makeup, “edgy tumblr” clothing, etc.) and they get a lot of praises and compliments from their followers (I find these kind of things attractive by the way).

But my question is, do these people get the same praises and seen as beautiful in real life? or is it just on social medias?

1942

Most Helpful Guys

• Online, people with a unique/weird look are getting lots of positive response from the niche of people who are into the look. If you asked a random group online, most would say it looks bad.

They'd get a similar positive response if they went somewhere in real life that had a lot of fans of the look.

In day to day life, most people they meet will not be fans, a few will like it a lot.

Most of them would be considered unacceptable as workers in a corporate environment as well.

• I think they would be considered attractive to people that care about trendy things. I don't think anything trendy is attractive because to me, it indicates that they are a follower. Even if their ideas are unique, they're still likely to be vain and care about what other trendy people care about. I definitely wouldn't be interested in dating someone that was a trend follower because they all seem shallow to me. I'm not saying that they all actually are, I'm just saying that's how it seems.

Most Helpful Girls

• I think the platform gives the trends a place to grow or go in a sense. A trend becomes a trend from social media these days whether people wanna admit that or not. There are plenty of people that dig the whole edgy look. The tattoos, color hair, grunge. Issa whole vibe and scene in places in NY. But everything isn't for everybody. And you'll get more of that off of social media and IRL.

• No it's not. Its uniqueness stands out for entertainment purposes but in the real world people would look at them as if they are strange. It's weird how things like that work.
    Like the housewives drama they consider cool and popular to a lot of people but they would not be friends with people who act like that in real life.