Are Instagram trends seen as attractive in the real world?

What I mean is that, you know how people on the platform have weird-unique styles and post pictures of themselves (example: lots of tattoos, hair dyes, female buzz cuts, no eyebrows, dark makeup, “edgy tumblr” clothing, etc.) and they get a lot of praises and compliments from their followers (I find these kind of things attractive by the way).

But my question is, do these people get the same praises and seen as beautiful in real life? or is it just on social medias?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Online, people with a unique/weird look are getting lots of positive response from the niche of people who are into the look. If you asked a random group online, most would say it looks bad.

They'd get a similar positive response if they went somewhere in real life that had a lot of fans of the look.

In day to day life, most people they meet will not be fans, a few will like it a lot.

Most of them would be considered unacceptable as workers in a corporate environment as well.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think they would be considered attractive to people that care about trendy things. I don't think anything trendy is attractive because to me, it indicates that they are a follower. Even if their ideas are unique, they're still likely to be vain and care about what other trendy people care about. I definitely wouldn't be interested in dating someone that was a trend follower because they all seem shallow to me. I'm not saying that they all actually are, I'm just saying that's how it seems.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I think the platform gives the trends a place to grow or go in a sense. A trend becomes a trend from social media these days whether people wanna admit that or not. There are plenty of people that dig the whole edgy look. The tattoos, color hair, grunge. Issa whole vibe and scene in places in NY. But everything isn't for everybody. And you'll get more of that off of social media and IRL.

1|0
    0|0
  • No it's not. Its uniqueness stands out for entertainment purposes but in the real world people would look at them as if they are strange. It's weird how things like that work.
    Like the housewives drama they consider cool and popular to a lot of people but they would not be friends with people who act like that in real life.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 40

• I don't use Instagram, I don't get it and I don't think I'd really get on with anyone who did. I feel much the same about Youtubers, don't know any, don't want to.

3|1
    0|0
  • Most of the people who praise these people with crazy styles are just ordinary people who see this crazy styled person as a role model and someone who is doing something new and exciting. So yeah I think in real life people would perhaps be a bit more weireded out by it. It's different online because so many comments and praises come from niche communities of people.

1|0
    1|0
  • I doubt it, on social medias it's a different group of audience, those who follow you most likely have the same interest and standards

On the other hand, there are universally attractive things that just happen to be a trend on instagram

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope it is not..
    Just show off like adv for products.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some maybe, some. maybe not, why worry about what a trend is? If you like something, feel free to copy it, but just be yourself, not someone else.

1|0
    0|0
    • You are right, and I am certainly not worrying about a trend. Just curious

• That's good, regarding trends it's better to be the herder than the sheep following afterwards 😊

• Social media may concentrate it like say tats, people may see the in real life but rarely compliment them out loud - I would always think that the reaction on the internet is (x 100) what it would be in real life.

1|0
    0|0
  • I personally am not a huge fan of IG. First and foremost, I just don't have the time. I still have a business, handle all the bookkeeping and artwork for mine and wife's business, do most shopping and cook most of the meals at home, do most of the yardwork (counts toward my exercise). Second, I don't see- ion the bigger picture- what it accomplishes. I think that at least some people go on IG just to get "recognition" for something- even if it's "bad" recognition- and it might be that they didn't get that attnetion during childhood, etc. which is a sad thing. Of course, I could be wrong.

1|0
    0|0
    • That’s kind of true, but we can’t really apply that to all influencers. But you are correct. And yeah I guess not everybody has time for social medias, after all it isn’t real life it’s virtual

• Don't use insta-thots as a basis for what men actually like. It's mostly social media people who like it simply for being different from the norm.

1|1
    0|0
    • I’m not, and I couldn’t care less what a man likes and what he doesn’t lmao. I’m simply asking if it’s seen as beautiful in real life. But yeah

• IG trends are as temporary as any other kind of trend. For example, for most of history, a shorter beard was an indicator that someone worked in the cold, and a longer beard indicated you were a religious lunatic. For the last 10 years, "men" have been grooming beards to differentiate themselves in a sea of impotent, ineffectual boys. Soon this will change and beards will be for gross people again. In the meantime, everyone pretends that they are good looking and not a signifier of insanity.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well I don't know if it's in real life like that. Not everyone could perceive it as beautiful but I think that those people that are praising and seeing it as beautiful on IG probably see it as such in real life as well.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's a social media thing. Those pics are not real life.
    I've even seen a video about how girls fake those pics.
    Of course, guys will like, but liking is a lot easier than trying to date those models. lol

1|0
    0|0
  • I doubt it. Remember feathered eyebrows. They looked terrible in reality.

1|0
    0|0
  • For me at least, the fact that I don't use Instagram aside, I think these trends are stupid and unattractive and I'd probably judge someone who follows these trends, harshly.

0|0
    0|0
  • None of those looks are attractive to me. But to each his/her own.

1|0
    0|0
  • Hair dye and lots of tattoos have been a real thing long before Instagram existed. Those are my favorite girls.

1|0
    0|0
  • It really depends, but I would like a girl with different style, but I like long hair girls, and girls who have a passion for something or multiple things. I'm not hugely into style, I like girls with a passion or hobby they love.

Like if you see Leticia bufoni the pro skateboarder, or Nik West (Nickwestbass on Instagram) she plays bass and is a musician who plays funk music. And there are a few other girls who my be in bands or whatever that I follow. The trends don't really get to me. Besides I never look at guy models or what's in style.

1|0
    0|0
  • Instragram is a media where we can highlight our stories through a picture. It also shows one's love towards the moments and the way the picture has been taken

0|0
    0|0
  • I find the Instagram female foot models attractive, beautiful and gorgeous and their feet and toes pretty attractive , beautiful and gorgeous.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't really see people bringing the looks into the real world, so I assume that it isn't seen as attractive.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't follow such pages in the first place... and I wouldn't consider it attractive in real life.

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 17

• I think that there are less people into these kind of styles and so finding them irl is more difficult, IG helps people with similar looks and interests come together so the people with these styles are more likely to get compliments online than in the real world.
    I hope that made sense x)

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so.. they look so weird.. just take makeup for example, a lot of girls on insta put like 10 kgs of makeup on their faces, which might look good in pictures (I personally think it's drag queen makeup), but that shit does not look good in real.. they look like clowns lol

1|0
    0|0
  • I hate instagram
    but i have indigo hair, no eyebrows, and dark makeup
    soooo
    yes? by me anyways
    but not by conformists. then again, do you really wanna attract conformists?
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

1|0
    0|0
  • People who post anything on Instagram are just seeking attention - the old "Look at me!" type posts. They obviously don't get enough in real life so they got to post pics to get their extra share of "You look great" It sounds like by your descriptions it is the bisexual girls hang out.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't follow people like this, just some artist, celebs, fit influencing people ( especially of color) , friends and etc. But I also don't think these listed things are really attractive in the real world

1|0
    0|0
  • If an attractive person is doing them (say a Victoria secret model), they're seen as cute and quirky and edgy. If a non attractive person does them its seen as weird and ugly.

1|0
    0|0
  • In my country they do. But they are seen as the " attention sloots" and just hook up material. Or trash.

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably considered “original” or “unique” and by some even attractive but it all depends on the person who sees it

1|0
    0|0
  • just to catch followers on IG and get attention from public on street

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably not

1|0
    0|0
  • Not to me.

1|0
    0|0
    • But that's OK. They all have a different stile and I don't have any trouble in looking at them.

• No not really

1|0
    0|0
  • Just on social media for lots of these tremds.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope.

0|0
    0|0
  • it's just a platform for showcasing camera shots with the right editing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most of the beauty trends and people say they like on the internet is not usually seen in reality. The media sometimes just tries to shove bullshit down our throats and force us to think we need to look like those people to be beautiful when most of the time it couldnt be farther from the truth.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes