Girls: have you noticed wanting to do something different with your hair when your life is changing?

I’ve caught myself thinking a lot about different hairstyles and colors lately - things I could do to my hair - ever since I graduated basically. Before this I’ve had the same cut and color for nearly 6 years, and I realized it might have something to do with me facing lots of changes in general in my life currently. I’ve also heard that this might be common in women who are going through a breakup or some other type of life-changing event.

Have you noticed this phenomenon in yourself? How, why, when?

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Maybe subconsciously...

I cut all of my hair off shortly after moving 10+ hours away to NYC. I moved to, in a way, restart my life, and back home, I was always known for my long, bone-straight hair.

Now my hair is longer and in it’s natural texture, and I like to wear it up and out of my face, but loose enough to look relaxed and show off the curls. It just looks very flattering on me, but I’m also more confident now than I was two years ago, when I straightened it and mostly “hid” by wearing it down.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yup I want to change my physical appearance (dyeing hair, new clothes etc) when something in my life happens, but often (and this is just me) after I act on the urge to totally redo something involved with my physical appearance, I regret it even a week later.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 10

• I don’t cut or dye my hair anymore. It’s a change but it’s something I have wanted to do for a while, and have done since my mother couldn’t force me to cut it. I never dyed it in the first place actually. I like my hair as it is, although I kind of want it longer

2|0
    0|0
  • yea!! late last year, i had this weird urge to chop half my hair off and i kind of did, but just like the front pieces? it was weird. that's also when i kind of felt dissatisfied with a lot in my life and i felt really alone. i had the urge to do it again over the summer– i was being led on by a guy who manipulated me and i felt so uncomfortable with a lot of stuff.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I always do this when I'm having a hard time. My hair was very long a month ago and I decided to cut 9 inch off. I always dye it different for a change I prefer my red hair tho

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I changed my hair colour after I turned 18 just for a change and to mark being an adult or whatever... now I'm lowkey addicted to changing it up every other month or so lol

2|0
    0|0
  • People say that when you change your hair is mean that your ready to change something in your life too.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes... I started getting more mature and changed my style to more feminine and girly, so I went for a layered hairstyle with it...

2|0
    0|0
  • Oh yes. I bleached and dyed my hair on total impulse. Dyed it a few more times. I also change outfit styles and makeup looks often.

1|0
    0|0
  • I do this all the time even when there isn't change. I have had the same hair and hairstyle for 10 years

1|0
    0|0
  • I cut my hair short after high school

2|0
    0|0
  • Always!!! I went through a hard year last year and decided I wanted purple hair this year... when I was younger, I’d always get a bob after visiting my bio dad’s house for a summer... when I went from middle to high school, I had the shortest bob and had red shades put in... if I’m moody from something or emotionally done with something, I always want a change...

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes