Should guys that work in office jobs be expected to wear a tie since girls are expected to wear heels?

many guys have their collar open without a tie at work (especially young guys)

836

Most Helpful Guys

• As someone who works in IT; I understand the use of ties for a more professional look, but it is unnecessary for what I do.

As far as “women being expected to wear heels”; I’m not sure where you got that idea! I’ve worked in the corporate office setting for the last several years and haven’t had that be the case in any of my locations. My last position was with Comcast Corporation, and my current is with Amazon.

Most office jobs just require casual attire; which, now - essentially means a nice T shirt, slacks, and tennis shoes. If you’re a “front facing” office employee dealing with people one on one at the counter, a uniform or tie may be required.

But overall, heels aren’t expected - nor are ties, unless you’re in HR or management.

But if someone out there is forcing women to wear them, I’ll take one for the team and wear my tie. 😂

• Both genders should follow office policy. If the job says do this then you do it or you ask your boss if it's ok to not.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have an office job and I'm not expected to wear heels. Luckily because I hate heels.

I don't think either should be expected, really. Both just seem uncomfortable to wear, and you can easily look professional enough without wearing heels or a tie.