Should guys that work in office jobs be expected to wear a tie since girls are expected to wear heels?

many guys have their collar open without a tie at work (especially young guys)

Should guys that work in office jobs be expected to wear a tie since girls are expected to wear heels?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• As someone who works in IT; I understand the use of ties for a more professional look, but it is unnecessary for what I do.

As far as “women being expected to wear heels”; I’m not sure where you got that idea! I’ve worked in the corporate office setting for the last several years and haven’t had that be the case in any of my locations. My last position was with Comcast Corporation, and my current is with Amazon.

Most office jobs just require casual attire; which, now - essentially means a nice T shirt, slacks, and tennis shoes. If you’re a “front facing” office employee dealing with people one on one at the counter, a uniform or tie may be required.

But overall, heels aren’t expected - nor are ties, unless you’re in HR or management.

But if someone out there is forcing women to wear them, I’ll take one for the team and wear my tie. 😂

2|0
    0|0
  • Both genders should follow office policy. If the job says do this then you do it or you ask your boss if it's ok to not.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I have an office job and I'm not expected to wear heels. Luckily because I hate heels.

I don't think either should be expected, really. Both just seem uncomfortable to wear, and you can easily look professional enough without wearing heels or a tie.

1|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 34

• I've never worked in such an environment. I've seen a great deal of the reverse. Lots of places require guys to wear a suit and tie, but women can get away with anything but sweats. I knew Hillary Clinton was a PoS when she showed up to the primary debate wearing a peach leisure suit with oversized collar & lapels. Every man on stage was wearing a black or dark grey suit and tie, but she was dressed like a 1960s pimp.

0|2
    0|0
  • No because business casual is legitimately just that without a tie. And I don't think women are expected to wear heals, just dress shoes. They have dress flats. by the way a guy legit has zero options out there, only creativity they get is the tie. Women have 20 different work outfits.

0|0
    0|0
  • Women aren't expected to wear heels, not in all cases.
    Office attire has gotten a bit more smart causal in recent years.
    Every company sets its own dress code. If you dont agree with it, move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve been in the professional working word for 20 years in many many different clients locations with different dress codes. I have never seen a requirement that women wear heals. Many professional women I know wear flats.

0|0
    0|0
  • If your boss in an office requires women to wear heels then they're an idiot reducing production to feel special. This is for an office job and not sales.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm 100% against forcing women to wear heels, that's ridiculous.

0|0
    0|0
  • I work in a bank and see women and all sorts of footwear. Not tennis shoes, but flats, wedges, heals, dress sandals. So in my opinion neither are expected to wear either.

0|0
    0|0
  • Girls, you aren't expected to wear heels, actually I'm against making women wear heels, and I also think women should stop living their lives on to serve other's expectations...

0|0
    0|0
  • In our office area we are efficient. So we waste no time on dress codes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally i dont think anyone should be expected to wear anything. People should be allowed to express themselves how they want

0|0
    0|0
  • They should be expected to wear what dress code says. If it’s heels for girls and not tie for guys no tie. It’s up to the ceo or whatever.

0|0
    0|0
  • It really depends on company policy, it the policy say suitable wear that don't mean heels or ties so it is really up what is the dress code

0|0
    0|0
  • Ties are not expected, they just add a more professional look.

0|0
    0|0
  • Since when are women expected to wear heels to work?

0|0
    1|0
  • Depends on the job. We have an office where I work but it's a store so I have to wear a normal shirt and cargo pants

0|0
    0|0
  • In my country its not like this.
    Heels are unhealthy.
    Guys are not restricted to suit & tie.

0|0
    0|0
  • Both look nice but they shouldn't be mandatory in my opinion

0|0
    0|0
  • Both are stupid, impractical requirements for a job.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd say yes they should wear a tie unless they want to wear heels instead lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t wear a tie but would if I was asked too,
    I do like a lady in heels though lol

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 7

• Wait, women are expected to wear heels? That's just plsin sexist and cruel. Heels destroy your feet, wearing them on a daily. basis is bad for you. Why do women have to wear outfits that are harmful to their health?

1|0
    0|0
  • Since when has girls been expected to wear heels?
    Just a few years ago that got completely abolished here in the UK.

1|1
    0|0
    • that's factually not true, many companies still stipulate heels for girls

• Show All
    • it still happens in many workplaces

• Sadly and most regrettably you are right.
      The sooner the idiotic morons, called the British Government, pull their fingers out of their backsides and passes this through as legal legislation the better it will be for all of us.

• It's not this black and white. I know plenty of women who don't have to wear heels to work as long as they still wear nice business casual flats or pumps/wedges. I also know many places that do require a tie.

0|1
    0|0
  • Where I work, they do have to. Men are in business suits and proper dress shoes. Women are in dresses, skirts, suits or slacks and heels.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't know any job that says you need to where heals. Guys tend to have a much stricter dress code at work. You where a suit and tie and that is it, and on hot days it really sucks

• Show All
    • What field do you work in, and how strict are they on the type of heal? Some heals are low and more supportive.

• @nathanp97 It's a very large and professional financial/business firm.

• My girlfriend only wears heels when she got be in court or meeting with a client, I wear dress shoes at work but that cause I’m behind the counter.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have an office job. I have to wear professional shoes. So flats or heels.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes