What's the difference between confidence and arrogance when it comes to your looks?

I'm extremely confident about my appearance. I wouldn't say I'm arrogant but I'd like to know the difference between the two just in case I am coming across as arrogant.

2450

Most Helpful Guys

• I use a peculiar definition but I really think it holds up.

To me, proper confidence doesn't come from believing in yourself (believing you won't fail). It comes from not being afraid to fail and seeing it as no big deal. A person doesn't have to believe they're the world's finest singer to give an audition where they sing without being the slightest bit nervous. They just have to avoid being afraid to fail.

The other kind of "confidence" which works itself to "arrogance" in excess comes from believing that you can't fail, like giving a confident audition as a singer because you believe you are the world's greatest singer and that no one could possibly think otherwise. That's working towards arrogance and it's also very fragile because if that singer gets rejected in their audition, they might get angry or worse, cave into despair and find their confidence absolutely ruined... or start denying the reality of the situation while continuing to believe they're so amazing and that anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

• So using my kind of distinction, the one working towards arrogance for looks shows up to a party thinking they're so amazing in looks and social appeal that no one could possibly dislike them (or perhaps they're just "clueless idiots" if they do dislike you). The one that is super confident without the arrogance just shows up to a party and isn't the slightest bit nervous because they don't care what other people think... they aren't afraid of someone disliking them or rejecting them. They don't see it as a big deal.

• So a confident person isn't afraid to fail. The arrogant person believes they're so amazing that they can''t fail. That's my distinction in a nutshell.

• In general, I'd say the difference between confidence and arrogance lies in two points.

1 Confidence can be false, but usually it is attained by experiences that you find relevant to the topic at hand. Arrogance is inbred and will irrationally propagate. It doesn't know bounds, or if it does those bounds aren't realistic.

For instance, you know you're beautiful.. But you don't think you're the most beautiful.. Or if you were the most beautiful in earth and had a way of knowing that with certainty, it wouldn't be arrogant up say so.. But it would be arrogant to assume you're the most beautiful that has ever lived or ever will live. Confidence is quiet strength based in rational projections from aggregate experience. It is to know strength but be not be consumed by it.

2. Arrogance seeks to dominate. Confidence quietly reinforces.

An arrogant man hates other arrogant men. How dare they be more arrogant than him? Who thinks they shall best his greatness? He refuses to believe he can be outdone.

A confident man enjoys the presence of his confident peers. Experts live amongst experts and learn to thrive. Confident beauties congregate lime sisters and become a team.

Confident people don't get scared when the outcome is different than expected. Arrogant people see have their pride tumble or the descend into madness if they cannot reconcile a situation.

Most Helpful Girls

• Confidence is being comfortable in your own skin and not caring what anyone else thinks of you. Someone says you don't look good? You dismiss it because you're confident with yourself and don't care about their opinion. Arrogance is trying to use your looks to get what you want. It's the mindset of, "I look good and I know I look good so I can get whoever I want and whatever I want."

• Confidence is not thinking too much about your looks and being comfortable in who you are that you dont need a reminder about it.
    Arrogance is continuously saying 'I'm better than everyone I look better than everyone I am the best blah blah' and brave a lot.