What's the difference between confidence and arrogance when it comes to your looks?

I'm extremely confident about my appearance. I wouldn't say I'm arrogant but I'd like to know the difference between the two just in case I am coming across as arrogant.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I use a peculiar definition but I really think it holds up.

To me, proper confidence doesn't come from believing in yourself (believing you won't fail). It comes from not being afraid to fail and seeing it as no big deal. A person doesn't have to believe they're the world's finest singer to give an audition where they sing without being the slightest bit nervous. They just have to avoid being afraid to fail.

The other kind of "confidence" which works itself to "arrogance" in excess comes from believing that you can't fail, like giving a confident audition as a singer because you believe you are the world's greatest singer and that no one could possibly think otherwise. That's working towards arrogance and it's also very fragile because if that singer gets rejected in their audition, they might get angry or worse, cave into despair and find their confidence absolutely ruined... or start denying the reality of the situation while continuing to believe they're so amazing and that anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

0|1
    0|0
    • So using my kind of distinction, the one working towards arrogance for looks shows up to a party thinking they're so amazing in looks and social appeal that no one could possibly dislike them (or perhaps they're just "clueless idiots" if they do dislike you). The one that is super confident without the arrogance just shows up to a party and isn't the slightest bit nervous because they don't care what other people think... they aren't afraid of someone disliking them or rejecting them. They don't see it as a big deal.

• So a confident person isn't afraid to fail. The arrogant person believes they're so amazing that they can''t fail. That's my distinction in a nutshell.

• In general, I'd say the difference between confidence and arrogance lies in two points.

1 Confidence can be false, but usually it is attained by experiences that you find relevant to the topic at hand. Arrogance is inbred and will irrationally propagate. It doesn't know bounds, or if it does those bounds aren't realistic.

For instance, you know you're beautiful.. But you don't think you're the most beautiful.. Or if you were the most beautiful in earth and had a way of knowing that with certainty, it wouldn't be arrogant up say so.. But it would be arrogant to assume you're the most beautiful that has ever lived or ever will live. Confidence is quiet strength based in rational projections from aggregate experience. It is to know strength but be not be consumed by it.

2. Arrogance seeks to dominate. Confidence quietly reinforces.

An arrogant man hates other arrogant men. How dare they be more arrogant than him? Who thinks they shall best his greatness? He refuses to believe he can be outdone.

A confident man enjoys the presence of his confident peers. Experts live amongst experts and learn to thrive. Confident beauties congregate lime sisters and become a team.

Confident people don't get scared when the outcome is different than expected. Arrogant people see have their pride tumble or the descend into madness if they cannot reconcile a situation.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Confidence is being comfortable in your own skin and not caring what anyone else thinks of you. Someone says you don't look good? You dismiss it because you're confident with yourself and don't care about their opinion. Arrogance is trying to use your looks to get what you want. It's the mindset of, "I look good and I know I look good so I can get whoever I want and whatever I want."

0|0
    0|0
  • Confidence is not thinking too much about your looks and being comfortable in who you are that you dont need a reminder about it.
    Arrogance is continuously saying 'I'm better than everyone I look better than everyone I am the best blah blah' and brave a lot.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 48

• Confident is feeling like you're the shit despite however you may appear or personality you have while arrogance is thinking you're the shit including everything about yourself physically and personality, arrogance isn't always bad though, if it's done in the right amount and not going overboard it can be very attractive and cheeky

0|0
    0|0
  • Simple

0|1
    0|0
  • confidence is knowing your limits and flaws can be described where looks are concerned too
    it is also about knowing and accepting what you look like

arrogance is assuming you are better than anyone else, and believing you are above all others despite what effect that could have...

i mean you can be aware of how good you look but when you become mean to others and call them ugly or believe you are better then that is quite arrogant and also the arrogance can make a person ugly in heart

0|0
    0|0
  • I think confidence expresses you are comfortable with your looks and really don't care what other think about your looks because you are comfortable with it. You can be considered 'ugly' but still confident with your looks.

Arrogance would mean you need the affirmation of others to feel good about yourself, and if they don't you take offence and possible even act rude.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m confident in my looks because I have good facial feature. But I would be arrogant if I walked around as if every girl finds me attractive but everybody has their own preferences. So no I’m only confidence but I have oily face so it sometimes brings it down lol but I’m not arrogant I don’t expect every girl to like me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Confidence is knowing that you appearance will be pleasing to the opposite sex. Arrogance is wondering whether the next partner will be attractive enough for you.

0|0
    0|0
  • The ability to admit that your looks are not the defining point of your value and that by simply having said looks you are not entitled to anything from anyone because of them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Confidence is a positive behavior make believe in yourself without hurting others while arrogance is toxic like you are competing and bashing on other people's looks thinking you're the best of them all.

0|1
    0|0
  • Arrogance
    1. A sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
    2. A feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others

Confidence
    belief in oneself and one's powers or abilities

0|1
    0|0
  • There's not much of a difference, really. Confidence is what you feel, arrogance is what they perceive. This is more often common if they don't know you. If you're afraid of this then just talk to them and help them get to know you.

0|1
    0|0
  • Confidence - "Look in mirror, yup looking good, go out business maybe a quick check whenever I pass a mirror"
    Arrogance - "Look at me everybody, aren't I the hottest thing you have ever seen?"

1|0
    0|0
  • This is a good question. I would say that a rough rule of thumb would be that someone is arrogant if they are saying that they're attractive, since being attractive speaks for itself.

0|0
    1|0
  • Believing it and faking it.

Also confidence doesn't feel the need to compare themselves to others, arrogant people often need to feel superior to others to validate themselves.

0|0
    0|1
  • Lol
    Confidence in appearance is almost the definition of arrogance because it suggests that you are placing you confidence soley on your appearance. Saying that you're ok with how you look is not the same as extremely confident in your looks. Slippery slope. Fine line. Arrogance translates to selfish behaviour and is obvious. People will notice. Humility is the opposite

0|0
    0|0
  • Confidence is comfortable in own abilities and arrogance is unestimating others' abilities compare to yours

2|0
    0|0
  • A confident person never has to mention how attractive they are, they just know it.

An arrogant person will make sure that others know that they are attractive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Confidence is where you know that you are hot without rubbing it in people's faces, arrogance is where you are convinced that the world both needs to know and owes you some special privilege for being hot

0|0
    0|0
  • confidence is when one is secure in themselves and generally keeps quiet about it.
    arrogance is where one flaunts, purposefully humiliates others or calls attention to their attributes.

0|0
    0|0
  • When you say you are confident about your appearance, how does that confidence present itself? If I know what it is you say/do, I may be better equipped to determine whether it is confidence or arrogance (which would only be my opinion of course).

0|0
    0|0
  • Confidence to me is knowing you're an attractive person and knowing your high status/worth. Arrogance is when you think you're above everyone else because you're attractive or "special."

0|0
    0|0
  • Confidence is having enough comfort and belief in yourself to not denigrate urself or be shook by comments... Arrogance is overconfidence, to a point where u become cocky or extremely boastful

0|0
    0|0
  • when you're confident you don't have to put it in anyone's face and shove it down their throat which on the other hand is exactly what you do when you're arrogant.

0|0
    0|0
  • The real question is are you a humble person? The answer will determine confidence or arrogance/pride

0|2
    0|0
  • Arrogance is when you start acting and believing you are better than others.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's a fine line. I guess confidence is being comfortable in your own skin and not needing to change your appearance unnaturally. Arrogance is when you brag about your good looks.

0|0
    0|0
  • Confident is pride and having no fear to go out and show what you got.
    Arrogant is going out and showing off just to rub people's noses in it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Confidence means someone else complimented me. Arrogance means I complimented myself.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know but I’m good looking and I know it and I really don’t care if others perceive that as being arrogant anymore.

0|0
    0|0
  • Looks give you both confidence and arrogance. With confidence it's more related to accomplishment where as arrogance is more personality based.

0|0
    0|0
  • confidence is a good thing... I think arrogance means you look down others and think that your looks are superior, you call others ugly, misbehave with them due to looks etc...

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 22

• Well if you are being rude and disrespectful to others because of this then its arrogance but if you are still humble with others and treat them nice regardless of their bodies and dont pass demeaning comments then its alright and its confidence for yourself only

0|0
    0|0
  • Confidence comes through earned accomplishments
    Arrogance comes from entitlement
    I worked hard to be confident about myself took a very long time
    Huge difference in the two

0|1
    0|0
  • There's a really thin wall between confidence and arrogance. You may not be arrogant but if the person is let's say silly and sees every sign of confidence as arrogance, then you're going to be arrogant for them no matter what.

I think arrogance is when you stuff it to everyone's faces, on every corner, at every moment.

0|0
    0|0
  • Confident: you accept compliments from others.
    Arrogant/Stuckup: you act like you're all that

EXAMPLE:
    Friend: "You look good!"
    Confident You: "Thank you, girl!"
    OR
    Arrogant You: "I know, I'm hot."

0|0
    0|0
  • An arrogant person feels superior and has the need to feel superior compared to the rest. An arrogant person also tends to remark its strong points and/or accomplishments.
    A confident person feels good about him/herself and doesn't care about others nor has the feel of being admired by others.

0|0
    0|0
  • Having confidence on your looks is great but being arrogant about it is like you look down on others who are not as pretty as you in short being a show off and insensitive about it

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd say confidence is fine it's only arrogance when you tell me how great you think you are if you get what I mean.

1|0
    0|0
  • It never mattered cause I never I found myself beautiful. I can tell who I love to see but can't live what I hate to see. And my face is not one of them. I just try to make it appreciable to me so I don't die in frustration.

0|0
    0|0
  • Being arrogant means no one can be as beautiful or worthy as you. Its acting superior with your beauty and worth. Confidence is you knowing your beauty and your self worth.

0|0
    1|0
  • Confidence is being satisfied with how you look, and have embraced the fact that you're good or bad looking. Arrogant is when you develop a certain attitude based on the way you look which usually makes you seem insecure.

0|0
    0|0
  • Confidence is being comfortable with yourself.

Being arrogant is thinking you're better than everyone

0|0
    0|0
  • Arrogance is when you also put others down or look down on them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Arrogance is like beauty, it's subjective. Some people may think what you're referring yourself as is arrogant and some not.

0|0
    0|0
  • When you put down others who may not be as blessed in looks department

0|0
    0|0
  • Confident is feeling good about yourself, arrogance is doing it at someone else’s expense.

0|0
    0|0
  • Confidence is thinking you look good, arrogance is thinking you look better than everybody else

0|0
    0|0
  • Arrogance is too much confidence lol

0|0
    0|0
  • You mean confidence by wearing revealing attires?

0|1
    0|0
  • Hmmm nothing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t know

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say the difference is that when you are confident you love yourself exactly how you are and you never compare yourself to others. Arrogance is when you think you are special and better than others just because of your looks. A person with true confidence doesn't put others down to raise themselves and feel good just being themselves not compared to others

0|0
    0|0
  • Confidence is knowing you are pretty but still be graceful when you get complements.

Arrogant when you expect to be complimented on every occasion with I know response like the shit I pull on my partner: damn I'm pretty. You should pray daily to god that you found me lol

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes