Do you ever worry about growing old and ugly?

I have a secret fear, one day I will no longer be pretty. I do not rely on my looks, but I do appreciate the positive attention I get from having a youthful, pretty looking face.
I currently have a boyfriend I hope to grow old with. It's not guaranteed but it's our plan. I'm worried that one day when I'm older I will stop being pretty and become an ugly old woman, and my boyfriend will no longer find me attractive.

Do you ever worry about growing ugly the older you get?
Include a caption for your image…
Include a caption for your image…

1518

Most Helpful Guys

• For me it's not a fear of being ugly so much as being feeble and having to rely on other people to help me all the time.

I work out and pay some attention to nutrition for largely that reason these days. I passed by a pull-bar one time a few years after marriage and not training and tried some pull-ups. I used to be a pull-up champion in my high school setting the record there, so I thought it'd come easy to me but years of slacking off caught up to me and I could barely do two of them. That was a wake-up call for me to start getting my act in gear. It wasn't so related to looks but realizing how out of shape and weak I had become.

>> I'm worried that one day when I'm older I will stop being pretty and become an ugly old woman, and my boyfriend will no longer find me attractive.

My wife has aged over the ten years or so of being together. She has some grey hairs now and some new wrinkles around the eyes. She doesn't look quite as youthful as when we first met. She does work out so she hasn't gotten out of shape, but I can see the signs of aging. I'm not blind. But it's like I developed an image in my head of her smiling, laughing, the sound of her voice, her sense of humor, things like this -- and that image doesn't change in spite of her age, and I'm still so fond of it, and her. It's invulnerable to her aging, and instead adapts and grows with her.

• I was never beautiful, so "growing ugly" is of no concern. My greatest concern is becoming so ill or feeble that I can't take care of myself. I have no desire to be a burden on others.

• That's a good point. The problem of losing beauty doesn't affect men because most of them get more attractive the older they get. Like fine wine. With women, youth is attractive so as soon as we lose it we have lost our looks.
      At the same time, there is nothing scarier than becoming an invalid. Trapping those I love the most in a situation where they have to look after me, and they have to live a crap life where I'm the thing they dread waking up for.

• I don't wholly agree with the first part of that statement. I understand that it's a societal norm, but I'm certain it's an antiquated notion born of a very different cultural era and perpetuated by the media, because sex sells. If we keep buying it, they'll keep selling it.

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes. My 23rd birthday is approaching and I feel like that's already old. But not in an " I'm getting ugly" kind of way. It's more that I always think future me will deal with all the things I worry about now. But I'm getting older and older and still haven't done shit☹

• Same! I feel like I don't appreciate the life I have been given and I don't do enough to appreciate it. That's why I'm worried about losing my looks because I'm scared I won't have appreciated it enough.

• 23 is definitely not old!! Anything under 30 is still young. Besides age is just a number xx

• No my family ages really well my parents still look young and so do all my aunts and uncles. Everyone looks younger than their age... Plus I take care of myself I don't smoke, I rarely drink, I workout and I try to stay out of the sun for the most part especially without sunscreen and I keep my skin moisturized.