Do you ever worry about growing old and ugly?

I have a secret fear, one day I will no longer be pretty. I do not rely on my looks, but I do appreciate the positive attention I get from having a youthful, pretty looking face.
I currently have a boyfriend I hope to grow old with. It's not guaranteed but it's our plan. I'm worried that one day when I'm older I will stop being pretty and become an ugly old woman, and my boyfriend will no longer find me attractive.

Do you ever worry about growing ugly the older you get?
Include a caption for your image…
Include a caption for your image…

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• For me it's not a fear of being ugly so much as being feeble and having to rely on other people to help me all the time.

I work out and pay some attention to nutrition for largely that reason these days. I passed by a pull-bar one time a few years after marriage and not training and tried some pull-ups. I used to be a pull-up champion in my high school setting the record there, so I thought it'd come easy to me but years of slacking off caught up to me and I could barely do two of them. That was a wake-up call for me to start getting my act in gear. It wasn't so related to looks but realizing how out of shape and weak I had become.

>> I'm worried that one day when I'm older I will stop being pretty and become an ugly old woman, and my boyfriend will no longer find me attractive.

My wife has aged over the ten years or so of being together. She has some grey hairs now and some new wrinkles around the eyes. She doesn't look quite as youthful as when we first met. She does work out so she hasn't gotten out of shape, but I can see the signs of aging. I'm not blind. But it's like I developed an image in my head of her smiling, laughing, the sound of her voice, her sense of humor, things like this -- and that image doesn't change in spite of her age, and I'm still so fond of it, and her. It's invulnerable to her aging, and instead adapts and grows with her.

2|0
    0|0
  • I was never beautiful, so "growing ugly" is of no concern. My greatest concern is becoming so ill or feeble that I can't take care of myself. I have no desire to be a burden on others.

1|1
    0|0
    • That's a good point. The problem of losing beauty doesn't affect men because most of them get more attractive the older they get. Like fine wine. With women, youth is attractive so as soon as we lose it we have lost our looks.
      At the same time, there is nothing scarier than becoming an invalid. Trapping those I love the most in a situation where they have to look after me, and they have to live a crap life where I'm the thing they dread waking up for.

• I don't wholly agree with the first part of that statement. I understand that it's a societal norm, but I'm certain it's an antiquated notion born of a very different cultural era and perpetuated by the media, because sex sells. If we keep buying it, they'll keep selling it.

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes. My 23rd birthday is approaching and I feel like that's already old. But not in an " I'm getting ugly" kind of way. It's more that I always think future me will deal with all the things I worry about now. But I'm getting older and older and still haven't done shit☹

2|0
    0|0
    • Same! I feel like I don't appreciate the life I have been given and I don't do enough to appreciate it. That's why I'm worried about losing my looks because I'm scared I won't have appreciated it enough.

• 23 is definitely not old!! Anything under 30 is still young. Besides age is just a number xx

• No my family ages really well my parents still look young and so do all my aunts and uncles. Everyone looks younger than their age... Plus I take care of myself I don't smoke, I rarely drink, I workout and I try to stay out of the sun for the most part especially without sunscreen and I keep my skin moisturized.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• No, I generally don't care about how growing old would affect my appearance, because I generally don't care about my appearance that much. I don't generally get a lot of comments or attention based on my appearance, positive or negative, and it's never been a priority of mine.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not really, being rich and sexy is my plan for later days in life. Do you ever worry about growing old and ugly?

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s the least of my concerns to he honest. I just want to have accomplished some of my goals before then

1|0
    0|0
  • No, because I am already there. It's not that scary.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have found that as I get older, my idea of physical beauty keeps expanding.

2|0
    0|0
  • Not so much "old and ugly" but more "old and alone".

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I am not concerned much anymore age is a badge of honor

1|0
    0|0
  • Little bit. When my face is affected with 1 or 2 pimples particularly near party time. Lolzz

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm already ugly, at least I have nothing to lose.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I also fear getting that old.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well that's what happens

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm already ugly so, no.

1|0
    0|0
  • Why worry, it is going to happen anyway.

1|0
    0|0
  • Old? No. Ugly? Well one out of two isn't bad...

1|0
    0|1
  • I'll be proud to look like my dad

1|0
    0|0
  • what good would it do, can't change it

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 13

• No, because I changed my mind about what real beauty is. And I quit putting myself in the "not beautiful enough" column. I quit putting EVERYONE in the "not beautiful enough" column and started looking for sparkling eyes, and charming smiles, and beautiful attitudes, and lovely personalities. Once you take off the myopic beauty goggles that fashion magazines and Instagram put on you, you find beauty literally everywhere you look, including in the mirror.

1|0
    0|0
  • I do. But a fun fact is that after I started to fear getting old, I also started to respect my own beauty that will be gone in a few years.

1|0
    0|0
  • I already have the ugly part down. I still do fear growing old just because I don't want to be incapable of taking care of myself and whatnot, but that's about it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Was never pretty so it doesn't bother me; what does concern me is the inevitable frailness that comes with age. I do not fancy the idea that as I age I will no longer be able to do activities that I do easily in my youth alone or will need assistance to do them.

1|0
    0|0
  • Age is just a number
    If you look and feel young and eat healthy and take care of yourself, you'll be 4vr young xx

1|0
    0|0
  • Lmao great picture. No I don't really think about it

1|0
    0|0
  • Honestly no.
    #BlackdontCrack

2|0
    0|0
    • That's true, you're so lucky lol

• Yea I haven't thought much about aging because of this. I might get some gray hair but that's about it and I will color it lol

• I think at that point, I'd stop giving a shit.

1|0
    0|0
    • That's a really good point. I want to grow up to be one of those cranky old women that doesn't give a hoot about what anybody thinks about me :)

• Right? Me too. Only, I also wanna drink whisky and make inappropriate jokes to my grandkids that make them laugh at me.

• Lol helz yes!

• Haha We age nicely in y family.

1|0
    0|0
  • This lady looks great

1|0
    0|0
  • A little bit
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

1|0
    1|0
  • Nah. I'm already ugly so I dont think about looks all that much.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I make an effort to stay healthy so it’s just a natural process. There is more far value in life beyond extravagant looks.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes