Do you believe that attractiveness is subjective?

I do, there are some things widely found attractive but that doesn’t mean it isn’t subjective
  • Yes
  • No

1953

What Girls Said 19

• To a point yes. I mean we could say that 99% of people wouldn't be attracted to someone incredibly obese or skinny as a skelethon. But people do have different opinions about eye and hair color, height, etc.
    Healthy looking people will be attractive to more than 90% of people.

• 3d

healthy looking people attractive to 90% of people wth lolll

• 3d

There's a difference between looking healthy and being healthy

• 3d

Sorry but I don't look at an unattractive person and think that they look 'unhealthy', nor do I look at every attractive-looking person and think that they look healthy, cause they can also have times when they are sick, sleep-deprivee, some kinda vitamin deficient and all.

• Yes and no, there has always been a science to the way someone is or isn't attractive for example, high cheekbones, symmetrical face, etc but I do believe that everyone has preferences in what types of guy/girl they like in terms of personality and all that. Not only that but I think it has been proven that people tend to go for people that are more in their league.

• Weeell, i think there are some quilities that are mostly universally loved, like facialy symmetry.. But yeah, most aspects of ones appearance are percieved as more or less attrachtive on a subjective level

• 100% It's always been obvious to me that attractiveness is so subjective because I apparently tend to find very odd things attractive in men? I've never through Chris Hemsworth was hot, for instance.

• 3d

How about young Leonardo DiCaprio?

• 2d

😮 I honestly haven't done across one person that doesn't find him attractive before. I've always said if you are into men and don't find him. attractive you need to start questioning your sexuality. 😂

I don't actually believe that but yeah. It's very rare when people say they don't find him attractive.

• 2d

Ahh, so you're into the long haired guys. Or at least find it appealing

• There are certainly beauty standards determined by society & media that are more universally accepted as beautiful.
    Personally, I’ve experienced people who apparently thought I was drop dead gorgeous but also those that found me not at all beautiful, ugly even.

• It's both subjective and objective. There is a statistically measurable universal attractiveness (depending on culture). But that doesn't mean that individuals don't find entirely different things attractive than the rest.

• It partly is.

People can decide for themselves what skin color, hair color/texture, eye color, body type etc is their favorite. But we all love things like symmetry, health and fitness showing through physically. Beauty really isn't as objective as we make it with social influence.

• Yeah it's subjective I know so many people who call this one person ugly I be like "are you stupid in the head that person is good looking stfu" I got that too I was like "hm if you not attracted to me I don't care so I don't see why you telling me I'm ugly when other people don't find me ugly". People just do that to get under people's skin ignore them if you don't know who Gina Rodrique here she is: I remember a few months ago on her facebook fan page a older woman (you can see her ugly old ass as her profile picture) trying to tell Gina she too ugly and that's why she single at her age (I think it was a post about Gina bday and this sac of ugly old shit said that to her). If even Gina get those comments then you know some people are fucking stupid and you need to ignore their dumbass irrelevant opinions.

• 3d

It's not black and white though. People definitely have different ideas of what they consider to be attractive which I'd say is mainly based on society, culture and their own personal experiences... However there are many features that most people can agree are desirable and attractive.

• 2d

@Kkaos Overall the majority population would find the majority of the population attractive it just a few assholes who are insecure and try to destroy other people's self-esteem. Trying to say Gina never find a guy because she ugly is not true because many men will find her attractive. This old hag probably miss being beautiful so she takes it out on pretty women online.

• Absolutely. Beauty is primarily a social construct. What makes it subjective is the fact that this idea of what is deemed beautiful varies from culture to culture as well as from person to person within that particular culture. A prime example of this would be in western culture (Europe and US) the ideal of feminine beauty is tall, slim, pert rounded breasts and full lips etc, yet in say eastern island communities that would be viewed as the very opposite of their feminine ideal which is very curvaceous (dare I say chubby!)
    These examples are not set in stone which again lends itself to this idea of subjectivity.

• it's totally subjective, i've met people who aren't really good looking but they're incredibly attractive just because of their personality and they way they act with others

• There are objective aspects that indicate good health and genes, but other than that I think it's all subjective to every individual

• It definitely is. Some people that I think are ugly others think is cute. And vice versa

• No its objective

• Of course. Definitely. No doubt.

• Yes. Yes it is.

• Absolutely

• how can anything be more obvious?

• yea for sure
    we are all ugly or pretty to someone

• Absolutely. Almost all the men my friend finds attractive I dont. Same thing with my cousin and my mom. Everyone has totally different tastes.

What Guys Said 53

• Yes and no. There are certainly subjective elements and people can have variance in their tastes, but also some elements are just more attractive in apparent ways. Ways that test as attractive throughout cultures. That's not just limited to physical traits either. In general I'd say attraction is saved by its subjectivity though.

• Here's what I think is a general consensus; as a whole, attractive is subjective, however there are some common things that many people would consider to be attractive, and you can argue those things are a little more common among everyone and can be seen as a bit more objective.

• Of course attractiveness is subjective. While it's also true that there are cultural norms that will allow you to describe (or provide examples of) attractive people for that culture, it certainly doesn't mean that there aren't individual exceptions, both viewers and viewed, in that culture, and it doesn't mean that other cultures don't have very different standards of beauty.

Is any of this even disputed anywhere? It should be evident to everyone.

• For the most part yes, but there are certain traits that give you an upper hand. For example most girls like tall guys and deep voices. Last weekend I ran into a nurse I’d never met she was all frustrated and I spoke like 3 words and it instantly changed her mood (deep voice win). :)

• No, but to certain extent yes, there seem to be a line when people objectively agree that maybe someone isn't attractive. If someone whos very obese finds another very obese person, I don't think that would have much to do with them subjectively finding that person attractive, rather they're only setting the bar on a reasonable level.

• There's a portion of attraction that goes beyond conscious awareness. In some form of catagorical analysis, the subjectivity on the matter is eliminated and what there is is predetermined attractions based of genetics.

• In many societies there is a generally accepted aesthetic, however minor points of attractiveness are subjective.

• To some degree. There are some traits that almost everyone finds attractive, but preferences definitely come into play. Just read (if you can stand to) the posts on GaG about boobs and butts for an example of this.

• Yes and no. Mostly objective. There are standards of attraction that are pretty much universal for most of the population, and everything after that is mostly minor. Things like facial/bodily symmetry, for example.

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for example lots of guys seem to think tan girls are hot where as I think pale or as I'm told is nicer to say fair girls are far more attractive among other things

• Ummm believe? No do I know yes after all being a human and having attraction to women you would know so i’m confused as to why your asking a question every human being who can type can answer?

• Absolutely it is we tend to look for certain features on people in terms of facial structure body size height and a bunch of other things because its proven we try to find people who have a similar facial structure to us

• Yes, it's mostly subjective.

Which hair, eye and skin color you prefer, if you prefer small or big features etc. are subjective. Different cultures also values different features. In South-Korea light skin is seen as attractive, but in the Western countries tanning is. Mauritanians tends to prefer fatness and Western prefer slimness. Things like facial symmetry, nice teeth and looking healthy is considered as an universal beauty standard. Almost no one likes facial deformity linked to diseases and therefor it's seen as "objective". It's a difference between modifications like lip plates or piercings and disease caused changes in your face.

Modifications are entirely subjective and depends on the culture, but disease and accident like features are considered unattractive because of the evolution. It indicates danger. Different cultures have different meanings. Fatness can mean wealth for some and laziness for someone else.

• It is subjective to a degree. Every individual has different tastes, but there are some universals. Generally speaking, physical traits associated with good health and fertility are considered attractive.

• Yes because people just have different tastes. It's just like when a music is popular doesn't mean it should be liked by everyone. I don't find most models and celebrities attractive.

• it is subjective. however there are looks that more people find subjectively attractive and some that most people find to be subjectively ugly so there is some objectiveness to it.

• Yes, of course it is subjective. Beauty, gorgeousness, appeal are all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Given that this is an incredibly broad question, and has too many variables to change the answer in a given situation, yes, but also no, or at least, it shouldn’t be.

• It is, but for some criteria 99% of the population has the same opinion. It's kind of a balance then but has room (fortunately) for difference in judgements about someone's appearance.

• Yes but try explaining this to a dumbass who can't grasp the fact that what someone else finds attractive can be different to what they find attractive.

• I get the impression it's a balancing act of a list of conditions we've all wrote for ourselves. Whether they were influenced by internal or external experiences I'd imagine is really grey

• For the most part, yes, but there are some aspects that are objective that have its roots in evolution.

• As long as you have two or more people, yes, it will be subjective.

• Yes and no. There is universally attractive and then there's what you are personally most attracted to and what you personally find the least attractive. Like my best friend and I, we have similar taste in girls, but with some differences between us. So there's almost never a time where he finds a girl hot that I wouldn't also think is attractive. But there are girls I would see and would never date, that I would recommend to him and he's just all about them lol.

That's why "there's someone for everybody" is a think. Everyone has a type to a certain extent. Even if that changes over time

• Predominantly so yes
    There are certain things that seem closer to objective such as a preference for symmetry which is close to universal something which has been studied
    There are also social norms that are shared by most across a society these can change as society changes but most members of society will adhere to them at any given time
    In a manner of speaking there is a part what you find attractive that is entirely your own and part that is almost universal biology and part that is taught
    The subjective part is the strongest of those I wholeheartedly believe

• I think it's more accurate to say that some are more willing to compromise than others, but there's plenty of general agreement about what's attractive and what isn't. Guys all tend to flock towards the same types of women, and women flock towards the same types of men. The claim that it's entirely case by case sounds too much like "even if I think you look hideous there's someone out there who thinks you're a knock out". If most people say you're butt ugly then I don't think there'll be the one who thinks you're a 10/10. There'll definitely be someone who is willing to look past the hideous appearance and still date you, but that's not the same as saying you're attractive.

• Attractiveness yes it is for this.
    But for been actaully pretty or hot that is not subjective, cause if someone is denfinatly pretty and/or hot no one can deny that, sure than can say she isn't my type or personally i don't find her attractive or hot/pretty but that all comes down to who there attracted to not who is pretty or not (so that comes down to attractivness which is subjective).

Basically there are people who are denfinalty hot and pretty, but that don't mean you will be attracted to them which is why attractivness is subjective.
    But even with attractiveness been subjective that don't change how hot and pretty the actaul person is which every person can clearly see.

• Mostly yes, but there are aspects of beauty that are objective (high cheekbones, big butt, big breats, defined jawline, abs.)

• 3d

Most of the things you listed are subjective but widely found attractive

• 3d

Most of what I mentioned are desirable traits among most people, so I argue they are objective... if most people like a candy it’s objectively good regardless of how I feel about it.

• lol if you think attractiveness is not subjective you're a whole nother level of stupid.

• Both subjective in terms of individuals and objective in terms of their culture.

• Show more from Guys
    23