Is it rude to tell a girl she is not pretty?

I am a girl and I told this guy who I personally thought was good looking that I think he is good looking and then he told me thanks.

Then I asked him if he thinks I am pretty and then he replied to me saying "No". He did not say anything else to me besides no after I asked him if he thinks I am pretty. He just said "No" and thats all.
  • Yes, it is rude
    Vote A
  • No, it is not rude
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I know I did ask him a question but it still hurt my feelings.

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm sorry you felt hurt.

guys are very direct like that at your age, and stupid and non emotional! and it's unfortunately. who knows what he really thinks if there is something more to it, they often are not expressive of emotion because they don't think with emotion.

What he'll learn to say within another 40 years is, no but I think you are cute, or beautiful, or something positive in another way. There are many classifications. He just left you hanging with nothing but negative feelings. what an idiot !
    you have to learn if you ask you may not get the answer you want and that is ok. Learn to ask differently! e. g. "what do you think of me right now?".

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it was rude, but you also need to grow up and realize that you won't be attractive to everyone, and that you shouldn't ask questions if you aren't prepared to hear the answer.

Guys get told that they are unattractive by girls all the time, and it never feels great, but if you ask the question, then you know that's a possible answer.

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It don’t have to hurt your feelings. A guy rejected me before telling me that I was the ugliest girl he have ever seen. He was an overweighted nerd, and guess what? I am dating one of the most handsome guys of my promotion. I don’t see him attractive just because of love, but Practically all the girls wanted to date him, because he was truly gorgeous, tall, sporty , green emerald eyes. the fat nerdy guy that insulted me looked like a real potato in front of him. So when this hot guy confessed to me , and told me that I was totally his type, I truly freaked out lmao. Maybe you will find someone more handsome than this guy , that will love you

1|0
    0|0
  • Guys are more straightforward and clear than women are. They report on observation and not emotions. They're more aware of visual elements I'd say.

Don't take it personally, hon!

Next time don't ask...

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• In your situation no, you asked him, he was honest. If he would say that without being asked, then it would be rude.

0|2
    0|0
  • Why in the world would you ask him a question like that? It sounds like you're insecure about your appearance. But remember, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." People's tastes and preferences differ. This sort of thing is always very subjective, so one person's opinion about your looks doesn't matter. Try to develop more confidence in yourself. Confidence can itself be attractive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Simple

0|0
    0|0
  • depends on the situation tbf, if he walked up to you and just came out with it without being asked then yeah... but when you asked you must expect that some guys won't be attracted to you or think as the rest would, some guys might see you as simply not their type...
    he could have just simply said that you weren't his... I'm sure his opinion isn't shared around teh rest of us guys tbh

0|0
    0|0
  • Well you did ask so, you'd think you wanted an honest answer and not just for him to say you're adorable just because. Had he said it without being asked it'd be rude, but seeing as you did ask directly, not so much. He could've phrased it more politely though at not just a callous, "no".

0|0
    0|0
  • You asked for his opinion, and he told you how he felt. It's not his fault. Appearances are subjective. You may not be pretty to him, but you may pretty to others. A simple no, I think is straightforward and it relays all feelings necessary.

2|0
    0|0
  • "Then I asked him if he thinks I am pretty" Um... so, basically, he didn't tell you that he thinks you're not pretty, just like out of the blue or something. You asked him a question and he answered it. Don't ask a question if you don't want an answer, including one that you potentially don't want. Is this a joke? How old are you?

0|1
    0|0
  • No. It's called being honest. Yes, it might hurt your feelings. But at least you know.
    And to all of you voting for yes: you're what's wrong with society. Just lying and covering it up as being polite and shit. No. You're weak and cannot say the truth. You're conformists. "Just be nice to people. No matter the cost." Yeah… Way to go.
    How about…just listen…being honest? And! And at the same time, being able to take it. Wouldn't it be better? Of course it would. So now, give me your dislikes.

0|1
    0|0
  • It would have been nice if he gave his answer some thought first instead of just dropping the bomb without any finesse at all. He spoke the truth in his mind without beating around the bush. If he wasn't asked, he wouldn't have said it.

0|1
    0|1
  • I wouldn't say it's rude. But it's not a nice thing to say or hear and I think he could have worded it better. He has his own opinion which is also to be respected, but other people may think differently.

1|2
    0|0
  • You cannot demand that someone else tell you you're pretty. That is an imposition on their freedom of speech, and frankly sounds pretty vain. You asked him what he thought, and he gave his opinion. End of story

0|0
    1|0
  • You where fishing for a complement to make yourself feel good and it back fired. Also most guys find it unattractive when a girl plays that game.

1|2
    0|0
  • You asked and you received. It is hurtful, but it's the truth and it's the answer to your question based in his own opinion.

I don't know how it can be rude to answer honestly to someone's question.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anyone who is willingly putting another person down like that is very rude and not worth a dime in the world

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is in my opinion.

I wouldn't lie, but I would say things that compensate for her looks.

I'd be more like "Not much but it doesn't really matter, many guys would kill for your fun personality", kindness in everything, you know

0|0
    0|0
  • Even when it hurts someones feelings, its best to be honest at all times. If feelings do get hurt that is due to insecurities.

0|1
    0|1
  • Well I don't think it's rude... He's just replying honestly at least he isn't fake. Plus all he said is no and it's not like he mocked u of ur appearance etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • He could have found a feature he likes, and complimented that, such as, you have great lips and beautiful hair. What was the context of the conversation? Honesty, while appreciated, can be softened.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure, it's rude, but it's also their opinion and you shouldn't ask the question if you don't want an answer.

2|0
    0|0
  • If the opinion was unwarranted, then yeah that's rude. However, where you asked him specifically, you got nothing more than his honest answer.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think there's a nicer way he could've said it, but there isn't anything inherently wrong with answering a question that was asked to you honestly.

0|0
    0|0
  • not everyone have same taste, so that means ur not ugly.
    Also yes, i think its rude. He shouldn't say that no matter what. Obviously he doesn't care about friendships lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope if she asked for it. How is saying she's not pretty rude when we don't even compliment every second? But if she didn't ask for it, it's not a good thing to say nor rude.

0|0
    0|0
    • Are you saying if would have been rude to tell a girl she is not pretty if she did not ask for his opinion in the first place.

• Show All
    • So what do you call a balance between good and bad? Neutral. Like what the hell? Is that word not available in the dictionary?

• And of course you may be wondering why I never said neutral. I wanna break that down to see if you're a pessimist or an optimist about it. Your response caring about my statement saying "not rude" got you triggered and fail to see my statement as a whole. And if you're not triggered you say, you wouldn't use "harassment"

• It's not rude - after all you did ask for his opinion! However, he could have been less blunt, certainly.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not rude, but he could have worded it better or avoid the question. But it is what it is. 🤷‍♀️

1|0
    0|0
  • The world is full of asshole u can't change that u can only let the dogs bark and ignore

1|1
    0|1
  • its rude of him to say, but don't just go around asking people if you are pretty. that is weird and uncomfortable.

1|0
    0|0
  • He was just being honest. Sometimes the truth hurts.

0|1
    0|0
  • You begged for a compliment. That isn't exactly screaming "beautiful and confident."

0|0
    0|0
  • If it was just a random remark, yeah.
    But you asked for his opinion, so no matter how you feel, he was just being honest; it's more rude to lie.

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean... you asked. It's not rude, but it definitely is blunt.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not that appropriate he could just said you look nice with low tone
    Anyway you are still young and people at your age sometimes do stupid things 😁

0|0
    0|0
  • OMG that had to hurt. I can even feel the word NO. That fucking sucks

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe he perceived it as a move. Still, very rude. Don't take their opinions into heart. Some people can be real jerks

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the context. But if the question has no context, no. Nobody is entitled to anyone's admiration.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds like someone gave you honesty and you weren’t prepared.

0|1
    0|0
  • You asked for it, so how dafuq would it be rude? He was simply honest.

1|0
    0|0
  • A bit. Sorry I laughed at your story😅
    You don't need to be pretty. You can be beautiful or sexy or cute or approachable.
    Yes, they're all different.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t know. Sometimes I get girls to chase me by acting like I’m mildly disinterested. Usually I would not be so overt. If I was doing that with you I might say: “sometimes you look cute.” Or something to that effect all while locking eyes and smirking a little. It’s just my way of kinda being playful. Or I used to tease my ex girlfriend sometimes when she’d say “I love you” I’d reply “I like you a lot” all while trying so hard not to laugh. Maybe he was trying to do that, I don't know. Like kinda be playful and flirty but he just sucks at it, I don't know.

Seems like kind of a weird response. Even if I seriously thought you weren’t I’d probably tell you you were gorgeous. Wouldn’t want to be mean, wouldn’t want to be awkward and it’s easy enough to shut you down in the future if I have no interest without being brutal about it.

So I guess, yeah. Not sure how to reply. It’s an odd response.

0|0
    0|0
  • Telling the truth or what is in their mind is not rude...

0|0
    0|0
  • Since you asked his opinion I'd say no. If he said that without you asking then it would have been.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, you fucking asked him.
    Lying to your face would be rude.
    I really despise people like you, you are the reason why people lie about things they have no reason to lie about, if I ask a question I want an honest answer, not the answer I want to hear, because then I wouldn't have to ask, and if you can't handle the truth then don't try to find it. Yes reality hurts sometimes, that's how it is, you can't change it, so get used to it or keep ignoring it, but don't try to put others in a bad light for doing what you told them to do.

0|0
    0|0
    • He didn't even call you ugly or insult you in any other way, he answered a question in absolute honesty without getting insulting, and yet you say he's rude? This is ridiculous.

• If they can't take simple criticism they should try moving to the next reality over.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure, he was a little blunt. But you shouldn’t ask questions you don’t want to know the answer too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it is rude
    insulting someone's form is a bad deed

0|0
    0|0
  • When we ask "how do i look" we always expect a yes!!

0|0
    0|0
  • It's only rude if he says it without being asked

1|1
    0|0
  • No more rude than you putting him on the spot

0|1
    0|0
  • If he just simply said no then yes it is rude.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't ask then... People suck!

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes