Is Luxury a perception or feeling?

Public experiment proved that luxury is a perception.

Thoughts?

95

Most Helpful Girl

• hi and hhmmm im dwelling with perception and feeling is combined in this instance re luxury? isn't ones unique perception individual of course relevant to luxury? my luxury has been chopping down trees sawing up the wood for the rayburn to feel the luxury of the warmth and ability to cook... perhaps for me the feelings getting to the point of luxury made it luxury... yesterday on tv i witnessed a woman selling around eight handbags to buy another twenty five thousand pounds... now is that perception? what do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• This sounds to me more like a dishonest ad for payless than a real thing.
    Someone who is willing to spend hundreds on a brand they have never heard of?
    I don't think so.

• 17 d ago

I believe Dateline did a similar experiment with a fake restaurant first dressing it up as low end place and then as high end but in both cases serving the same low in food.

They Illustrated that people will pay more if they perceive that what they're eating is luxury or high-end versus that it actually is. People care about image and will pay for it. Obviously with things like shoes you do have a quality difference in the materials so there is a reason for at least some of the price hike but also a lot of it is just hype and people wanting to be seen.

• 17 d ago

But even the best made shoe by a talented designer will remain just on a shelf somewhere if there is no hype around it, and no celebrity willing to wear it, or no pop up shop with beautiful people walking around talking about how great it is and posting up to Instagram. Hype sells...case in point, and I don't disagree that after a few months the true product value will come through, good or bad in its reviews, but you have to question why things like a shoe that looks like it was amputated from a bear can sell well just because it has a Gucci label on it---it's because a Kardashian wore it and hyped it to be "this thing" that people should have---that's not about quality, it's about people wanting to be like those people who never wear that product again.

• 17 d ago

@BeeNee There is something about a expensive brands as a symbol for power and wealth. I used to drive a Toyota Corolla, and I upgraded to a Rolls Royce. I skipped Corvette and Mercedes Benz because I felt Rolls Royce is a reflection of where I’m at. The truth is the maintenance for a $300k car is more than a Toyota Corolla but driving a luxury brand just makes me so happy.

As far as clothes, I do have a couple Gucci and Versace shirts. They don’t feel comfortable at all, but people do treat me differently when they see I’m wearing a branded shirt.