When and why did you wear makeup first?

Hi girls,

the daughter of a friend wants to wear makeup. That is why I have a few questions to you:

1. When did you start to wear makeup?

2. Why did you do so? (because of other girls, feeling more grown-up, teasing boys, ...)

3. In which situation did you do so? (at home, at school, at parties, ...)

4. Were you allowed to go rouged in public? If not, when did your parents had allowed it?

5. Why and when do you wear makeup nowadays? (If you do so.)

Thanks in advance!

(I have not found this question before, but if I had missed it, please sent me a link.)

250

Most Helpful Girl

• I started in the 5th grade, initially it was sort of experimental I guess, for dances, weekends, dinners etc. At that age I wore makeup for fun and to feel like I was all grown up. By 7th grade I wore it to school everyday. My family has been in the cosmetics and skin care business for a long time so they never restricted when/where I could wear makeup. They did however provide me with instruction, they helped me get quality products in colors that complemented my natural coloration. They told me when I did my makeup well, when I could improve and if I looked like a street walker (those are my words, not theirs, they were very tactful in telling me I made myself up to look like a prostitute).

Now I wear it because I am not a confident person. I try and wear it whenever I leave the house but if I don't have time it doesn't ruin my day.

I had a friend in middle school who would ask us to bring our makeup to school. Her parents had a no makeup rule so she would put it on when she got to school and wash her face before going home.