Tattoos.. your opinion?

Yup.. that's pretty much my question, what do you think of tattoos? I'm thinking of getting one.

4716

Most Helpful Guy

• I think most of them are a mistake. That isn't to say that I'm anti-tattoo, I just think that most people get them for stupid reasons and they'll inevitably regret them. Ask yourself how you'll feel about it in 10 years. How will your future wife feel about it? What will your kids thing? Is it something that you could have if you were in the military? Would the tattoo's content influence voters if you ran for public office? What will it look like in 60 years, when your skin is old and wrinkly? What are the chances that it will be meaningful to lifelong you? -- Or is it just meaningful to 17-year-old "omg dudebro this is awesome" you?

Essentially, what does it say, how much do you really care about that statement and how willing are you to let that single statement speak for you for the rest of your life? These are questions I ask myself when I see tramp stamps or barbed wire. Back in High School, a girl I vaguely knew existed got a "Slippery when wet." tattoo on her lower abdomen. Picture that in the Old Folks Home. It'll drive the geezers crazy. Imagine what she'll tell her inevitable horde of trailer trash babies when they're at the beach. But do you think she is considering life that far ahead? Hell no. She's just trying to be a rebel by getting a cheap, stereotypical party-girl tattoo.

With that said, I'll likely end up getting tattoos. But they won't be aimed at the public and their intent won't be to conjure up a certain image. They'll be directed at me, for my own benefit. One can only hope that they won't look too shabby when I'm cruising the halls of the retirement home for old harlots with withered skank ink.

• Agreed. I got the urge to get one 9 years prior to actually getting it. I wanted to wait til the right time (which gave it its significance) and I knew I'd always knew when the time came. Sure enough, 9 years later, I hadn't gotten sick of the idea and decided that then was the time to get it. Haven't had any regrets and it's in a place that can be easily concealed so it shouldn't be an issue later on down the road with jobs and such.