Do people ever question your ethnicity?

So I am Vietnamese. I'm pure Vietnamese (my parents were both born in Vietnam and moved to America as teenagers).

But people will try to guess what possible type of Asian I am, and they will never guess I'm Vietnamese, like I'll tell them after a while and then a couple months later they forget.

My best friend is Chinese and so when ever I go over her house her parent somehow think I'm Chinese like them and start specking mandarin to me...!

But I must confess I look nothing like my family... It's weird... My sister looks like combination of my parents and I manage to look like the exact opposite of her... My family are very Vietnamese looking. (Typical viet: tanner skin, chinky, charcoal black hair, very flat nose, with large nostrils, and sharper features)

So have you people ever encounter this problem?
  • Yes, all the time!
  • No...

1817

Most Helpful Girl

• It happens to me almost everyday.Every single day.I am Indian and most people think I am Latina or East Asian.Just because I don't look like this link they assume I am not Indian.People are being rude.I live in Malaysia and most of the time Malay people can't stop claiming that I am Malay link I don't think I look like them at all.So that totally offends me.

• That awful!

A good friend of mine, her mom is Indian but also from Malaysia like you and she's looks like a black person... I thought my friend was black when I first meant her too!

It was weird... But I can understand how people would get confused...

• Indians are very diverse...we have East,West,South and Northern Indian but sadly many people think that Indian only have one type of look like the link that I provided above. link link link of them do not look alike.People just need to learn more about diversity :)

• I have to agree with petitebrunette here south Asians have many different types of looks. I am south Asian too and my cousins who live in the states have often been mistaken for Latina.