Real women have curves? Wrong message to women?

Do you ever see on Facebook or social media sites where people post a picture curvy women with the slogan 'real women have curves.'For me, it irritatingThe reason is they are making out that skinny thin women are not in fact 'real women'. Do you feel this is done out of envy for thin women? And do you think it's fair that thin women should be made feel bad because being thin is what society perceive as normal? Personally I have been thin, then more curvy( curvy now I hit late twenties:)) it never occurred to me that I wasn't a real women. Don't you think it's unfair that curvy women feel they are more woman then a thin woman.

1416

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that it is done to counter the "model move" of society. In reality no one - not even the models themselves - will ever look like the models in magazines. I think the whole "real women have curves" is intended to make women of all sizes feel better about their natural bodies. Because let's be honest, even thin girls have a little something something going on that doesn't make them TOTALLY straight.

Heck, I look like a ruler and I have a tiny bit of something happening.

I don't argue with what you said - that it portrays fat as the new normal - but I believe the original intention of the ad was to reassure women that their normal bodies were perfectly fine.

Obese/fat women have used the slogan to justify their unhealthy appearance, certainly, but that isn't the original intention of the slogan I don't believe.

However, there *are* naturally curvy women out there who are healthy for their builds and let's be honest, they are seen as "ideal" by the male population of the world. That build is ideal for baby making lol but it doesn't mean that other shapes of women aren't real. We can all still make babies :p

But yeah, the original intent of the ad was directed toward all women to perhaps try to stop unrealistic expectations or eating disorders or something.

• Ya agreed it was a campaign against women with eating disorders but I guess I had been thin for years, we are talking 7 and a half stone and I could eat what I liked. In recent years I've put weight on. I guess back ten years ago when I was 20 thee wasn't so much pressure on me cos personally the rise of social media has impacted on our thoughts about our bodies. You make great points

• Yeah I'm with you there - I can eat whatever I want and stay the same size so I always figured the ad didn't apply to me.