He won't initiate but he enjoys talking with me?

Anonymous
There's this guy that i talk to often over chat. He almost never initiates, but it's so clear that he really likes talking to me. When I talk to him he always responds quickly (even during work hours, he usually responds within a few hours, and often instantly) and we spend hours and hours chatting. We send pictures to each other (pictures of our daily lives, nothing inappropriate yet lol)

But he doesn't initiate unless I do, and you can sort of tell that he's waiting for me to initiate, because if I don't talk to him for say two days, and message him, he always responds instantly. He also does this thing where if he has to go eat lunch or something, he'll just leave the convo without saying goodbye, and pick up the conversation an hour or two later, instead of saying goodbye and re-initiating.

To make things even more confusing, he tells me how he's really interested in getting to know me better, and that we should go on a date and stuff. What gives?

Some relevant facts: he's an exchange student currently abroad so he's not with me this semester, and he also recently broke up with his gf of 5 years 2-3 months ago.
+1 y
Oh and it's not always me talking on and on about stuff either. He's interested in my life. If I say that I went out for a coffee with a friend, he wants to know who the friend was, what they do, and how I met them, and all that kind of stuff. Like, he definitely helps to carry on the conversation by asking questions and also talking about himself.
1
0